The Student Room Group

Primary reason why girls are (generally) less promiscuous than guys?

Poll

Primary reason why girls are (generally) less promiscuous than guys?

This is a generalisation, but overall it is generally true - guys are more promiscuous than girls - or in many cases would be if they had the opportunity to engage in such activity.

The point being, that the average secular male in our society who is single would happily sleep with a huge number of women. Where as with girls, despite the fact it is far easier for them to get sex, this is not the case.

So why are guys seemingly more promiscuous in their instincts than girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I read about this recently. Apparently women need to be aroused first to then desire sex, whereas men only need to desire sex to get aroused. It's all a bit complicated.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pamela-madsen/female-erotic-desire_b_6775856.html
Original post by Hear Me Roar
This is a generalisation, but overall it is generally true - guys are more promiscuous than girls - or in many cases would be if they had the opportunity to engage in such activity.

The point being, that the average secular male in our society who is single would happily sleep with a huge number of women. Where as with girls, despite the fact it is far easier for them to get sex, this is not the case.

So why are guys seemingly more promiscuous in their instincts than girls?

They are more sensible
Social norms. Same reason they don't bang on a first date - they'd love to sometimes, but means instant bad rep and is linked with a perceived lack of self respect.
Reply 4
are you inferring that there are more gay dudes than gay galz

because w/ these generalisations, how else to th numbers add up

from what I know, it takes two to tango
A girl has more to lose, 1 accident and it results in pregnancy and 9 months difficult living and then a child to bring up. If a man has an accident he can walk away and even if he does stay hes wont be growing in size and having to leave work in the next few months..not to mention doesnt have to deliver a child through a small opening of his body..
I don't think that it's anything or do with nature, if a guy sleeps around he's praised, if a girl sleeps around she's shamed, simple as that so, statistically, guys sleep around more because of societal pressure and girls don't (or lie) so they don't get called sluts
tfw when you dont understand what the word promiscuous means and you have zero motivation to look it up. 😒
I read about this in primate behaviour, it's to do with the fact that it's easier for a female to identify the father of the child if less promiscuous and care for the child with the sexual partner together for a better upbringing, something like that. Males on the other hand are all about spreading their seed to as many places so they're more promiscuous. Don't quote me on this, I couldn't find the exact article I previously read but this one is interesting.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/12/female_promiscuity_in_primates_when_do_women_have_multiple_partners.html
Original post by PrinceMuse
tfw when you dont understand what the word promiscuous means and you have zero motivation to look it up. 😒

it means plenty of sinning
Original post by ImagineCats
it means plenty of sinning

THANKS! 😆
Reply 11
Original post by Milzime
are you inferring that there are more gay dudes than gay galz

because w/ these generalisations, how else to th numbers add up

from what I know, it takes two to tango

"or in many cases would be if they had the opportunity to engage in such activity."
Original post by PrinceMuse

Means slutty
It's an evolutionary thing. Men have far more sperm then women have eggs so are naturally compelled to spread it in order to increase the amount of their Dna passed down. Women prefer to have less kids but give them more attention.
Original post by Blondie987
I don't think that it's anything or do with nature, if a guy sleeps around he's praised, if a girl sleeps around she's shamed, simple as that so, statistically, guys sleep around more because of societal pressure and girls don't (or lie) so they don't get called sluts

but how can straight guys sleep around more than straight girls

what

I mean

what
it's almost 100% culture. yes it's true that females have generally less high sex drives, this isn't the reason why males, for instance, want sex as much as they do. sex to men is more of a cultural trophy. I know this all too well in that I, when I think about it, don't adore sex, but I love the status of taking a girl home and ****ing her (excuse my french). I feel like the ****ing man because that's what my society says I ought to do to be seen as cool or respectable. with girls, there is much less of a cultural trophy from sex - there's more of a trophy from getting a man to buy all your ****, for example. does that make sense?
Original post by Milzime
but how can straight guys sleep around more than straight girls

what

I mean

what

I don't think that (today anyway) there is much difference at all in the actual numbers for guys and girls but girls may be more reluctant and may lie about the numbers in order to avoid incrimination
Anecdotally, I thought girls were more promiscuous than guys.
Society puts a lot of stigma on promiscuous women and we tend to have higher standards when it comes to sex partners.
Reply 19
I dunno, I know some facking hoes

Quick Reply

Latest