The Student Room Group

I'm scared he will tell everyone all my secrets

Hi Guys, I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 3 months, 2 months ago and in that time I had obviously told him things about me, which I had done in secrecy as I had trusted him. But the relationship began to become very cold, one sided, and he became a very egoistic, control freak, which caused me to leave him. He blocked me on all social media accounts (which is a good thing I believe as I believe he would like to move on from me), but occasionally I find that he unblocks me and tries adding me again which I decline. I sent him an email saying that it wasn't either of our faults that we grew apart, and that we should move on, doing it mainly for my closure. But now I have a ever growing anxiety problem concerning him telling people things about me, out of spite as I know that that he is a very petty person and has already told people things about me, trying to pit our mutual friends against me. Obviously this information has gotten to me, and I whilst I was with him, he was very bitter about his previous exes so I know how bad he can be.
On reflection, I regret ever getting with him. I have learnt a very valuable lesson which is to never rush in to relationships, but he has caused be to get in to a deep depression, and I am constantly anxious about what he will say about me, in case it gets in to the wrong hands.
Could anyone offer any advice? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it makes you feel any better I have never shared a secret, even one with an ex, there might be a few other guys like me out there.
Reply 2
Original post by whorace
If it makes you feel any better I have never shared a secret, even one with an ex, there might be a few other guys like me out there.

Thank you, but he has already spilt minor secrets about me out, and he isn't a person who necessarily holds back.
The key is to not be ashamed of your past or secrets. It is unlikely he will share them out of spite, but you have no control over whether he does or not. What you do have control over however is how you deal with what he does.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
The key is to not be ashamed of your past or secrets. It is unlikely he will share them out of spite, but you have no control over whether he does or not. What you do have control over however is how you deal with what he does.

Very wise Marcus
I'm sorry you're going through this but I think you just need to accept that he knows them and that while hopefully he'll be decent enough to keep them secret, you can't stop him from knowing so you just have to try and forget about it, there's not much point stressing, you could speak to him but if he's immature or the break up ended badly he might be reluctant, hopefully he'll just forget about them and get on with his life and at least you have learned from this :smile:
Reply 6

Thank you! that does help a lot :smile:
Original post by whorace
Very wise Marcus

Who is Marcus? I don't get your reference. :redface:
Hey there!

Wow he sounds so immature and petty, good riddance to him. Have you sent him anything that he could potentially link on purpose?

To be honest, you shouldn't even care if he says anything about you, because the people around him will realise his immature and a complete psycho. Just completely block him out of your life, and if anyone asks you about him be very neutral and don't fight back. At the end of the day, he'll grow tired and look like the desperado

:smile:
Reply 9
Who is Marcus? I don't get your reference. :redface:

I know your secret Marcus

Just kidding, Marcus Aurelius, known for wisdom such as the following:You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! that does help a lot :smile:

No problem. :smile:

I used to have similar anxieties myself, but as time goes on the less I care. I know who I am as a person and things in my past don't define who I am, I do. And I know the people who genuinely care about me won't care or see me differently so to me it has become a non-issue.
Original post by whorace

Just kidding, Marcus Aurelius, known for wisdom such as the following:You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Well TIL. :smile:
Reply 12
Hi Guys, I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 3 months, 2 months ago and in that time I had obviously told him things about me, which I had done in secrecy as I had trusted him. But the relationship began to become very cold, one sided, and he became a very egoistic, control freak, which caused me to leave him. He blocked me on all social media accounts (which is a good thing I believe as I believe he would like to move on from me), but occasionally I find that he unblocks me and tries adding me again which I decline. I sent him an email saying that it wasn't either of our faults that we grew apart, and that we should move on, doing it mainly for my closure. But now I have a ever growing anxiety problem concerning him telling people things about me, out of spite as I know that that he is a very petty person and has already told people things about me, trying to pit our mutual friends against me. Obviously this information has gotten to me, and I whilst I was with him, he was very bitter about his previous exes so I know how bad he can be.
On reflection, I regret ever getting with him. I have learnt a very valuable lesson which is to never rush in to relationships, but he has caused be to get in to a deep depression, and I am constantly anxious about what he will say about me, in case it gets in to the wrong hands.

Original post by Tynos

i literally died at that picture
No problem. :smile:

I used to have similar anxieties myself, but as time goes on the less I care. I know who I am as a person and things in my past don't define who I am, I do. And I know the people who genuinely care about me won't care or see me differently so to me it has become a non-issue.

Thank you a lot! yes you are right, in time he will hopefully forget about all them things I told him etc
Original post by lulucoco98
Hey there!

Wow he sounds so immature and petty, good riddance to him. Have you sent him anything that he could potentially link on purpose?

To be honest, you shouldn't even care if he says anything about you, because the people around him will realise his immature and a complete psycho. Just completely block him out of your life, and if anyone asks you about him be very neutral and don't fight back. At the end of the day, he'll grow tired and look like the desperado

:smile:

I told him a lot about my family and the abuse I got when I was growing up, which would very heartbreaking if he did tell anyone about it.
Original post by whorace

I was going to say, reading Sophie's post she came across as awfully Stoic :tongue:
Reply 16
i literally died at that picture

what things have you told him, can't be that bad..
your insecurities?
Reply 17

[QUOTE="Anonymous;62918689"]Hi Guys, I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 3 months, 2 months ago and in that time I had obviously told him things about me, which I had done in secrecy as I had trusted him. But the relationship began to become very cold, one sided, and he became a very egoistic, control freak, which caused me to leave him. He blocked me on all social media accounts (which is a good thing I believe as I believe he would like to move on from me), but occasionally I find that he unblocks me and tries adding me again which I decline. I sent him an email saying that it wasn't either of our faults that we grew apart, and that we should move on, doing it mainly for my closure. But now I have a ever growing anxiety problem concerning him telling people things about me, out of spite as I know that that he is a very petty person and has already told people things about me, trying to pit our mutual friends against me. Obviously this information has gotten to me, and I whilst I was with him, he was very bitter about his previous exes so I know how bad he can be.
Could anyone offer any advice? Thanks[/QUOTE
Reply 18

[QUOTE="Anonymous;62918689"]Hi Guys, I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 3 months, 2 months ago and in that time I had obviously told him things about me, which I had done in secrecy as I had trusted him. But the relationship began to become very cold, one sided, and he became a very egoistic, control freak, which caused me to leave him. He blocked me on all social media accounts (which is a good thing I believe as I believe he would like to move on from me), but occasionally I find that he unblocks me and tries adding me again which I decline. I sent him an email saying that it wasn't either of our faults that we grew apart, and that we should move on, doing it mainly for my closure. But now I have a ever growing anxiety problem concerning him telling people things about me, out of spite as I know that that he is a very petty person and has already told people things about me, trying to pit our mutual friends against me. Obviously this information has gotten to me, and I whilst I was with him, he was very bitter about his previous exes so I know how bad he can be.
Could anyone offer any advice? Thanks[/QUOTE
Reply 19
Original post by Inexorably
I was going to say, reading Sophie's post she came across as awfully Stoic :tongue:

I personally think it's a load of crap and prefer Epicurean philosophy, still i'd rather just subscribe to the hyper-masculinity of Imperial Rome which is ignored by academics who cannot appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending