The Student Room Group

how would you go about self studying a level Maths?

I am currently studying a Btec ICT level 3 and I would like to get an A level ( or as) in maths.

My questions are :

1) Do you think I will be able to achieve a good grade through just YouTube tutorials, books and doing past papers over and over or will I need to buy something like this https://www.openstudycollege.com/courses/a-level-maths.html ?
2) Do you think there is anyway I could get my current collage to let me just sit the exam at the same time the current years math students do ( probably no I am guessing) or is there some website I can use to find a center near me?

3)Are there any books or other learning resources you would recommenced to me?

Thanks for your help and sorry if you think any of this seems stupid :smile:
Original post by MyNameWasTaken12
I am currently studying a Btec ICT level 3 and I would like to get an A level ( or as) in maths.

My questions are :

1) Do you think I will be able to achieve a good grade through just YouTube tutorials, books and doing past papers over and over or will I need to buy something like this https://www.openstudycollege.com/courses/a-level-maths.html ?
2) Do you think there is anyway I could get my current collage to let me just sit the exam at the same time the current years math students do ( probably no I am guessing) or is there some website I can use to find a center near me?

3)Are there any books or other learning resources you would recommenced to me?

Thanks for your help and sorry if you think any of this seems stupid :smile:

It's not a stupid idea at all and will enhance your BTEC qualification either for employment or uni study.

1. Obviously I have no idea what you are capable of but many people self study AS and A level maths and do very well. What's your GCSE grade? That would give some indication of your likely success. Try it with just text books and web resources, ask for help in the maths forum. I would recommend spending spare cash on a tutor rather than a distance learning package.

2. It's very possible your college would let you sit as a private candidate, talk to the exams office. You'd have to pay the fees but it would be your cheapest and easiest option. Note, you have missed the deadline for normal exam entries for this summer which makes everywhere less likely to take you for this year and the cost would be much higher. If your college won't do it, check with other local colleges and independent schools to see who takes private candidates. All of the examiners have advice for private candidates on their web sites.

3. Find out which examiner you will be taking and buy text books that match the examiner. Come back and ask for recommendations when you know the examiner.
Loads of great free resources on the internet including www.examsolutions.net and www.m4ths.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
It's not a stupid idea at all and will enhance your BTEC qualification either for employment or uni study.

1. Obviously I have no idea what you are capable of but many people self study AS and A level maths and do very well. What's your GCSE grade? That would give some indication of your likely success. Try it with just text books and web resources, ask for help in the maths forum. I would recommend spending spare cash on a tutor rather than a distance learning package.

2. It's very possible your college would let you sit as a private candidate, talk to the exams office. You'd have to pay the fees but it would be your cheapest and easiest option. Note, you have missed the deadline for normal exam entries for this summer which makes everywhere less likely to take you for this year and the cost would be much higher. If your college won't do it, check with other local colleges and independent schools to see who takes private candidates. All of the examiners have advice for private candidates on their web sites.

3. Find out which examiner you will be taking and buy text books that match the examiner. Come back and ask for recommendations when you know the examiner.
Loads of great free resources on the internet including www.examsolutions.net and www.m4ths.com

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks this really helped me :smile:
Reply 3
It doesn't seem stupid at all!
With the youtube tutorials, I don't think it's the best idea, but it depends on what you are capable of. I think (especially with a subject like maths) nothing can beat face-to-face teaching. Have you looked into getting a tutor?
Your local college should defiently let you sit the exam there. Get in contact with them in advance though to check.
It depends on what exam boards paper you'll be sitting for the revision books!!
Best of luck:h:
Original post by Jodie98
It doesn't seem stupid at all!
With the youtube tutorials, I don't think it's the best idea, but it depends on what you are capable of. I think (especially with a subject like maths) nothing can beat face-to-face teaching. Have you looked into getting a tutor?
Your local college should defiently let you sit the exam there. Get in contact with them in advance though to check.
It depends on what exam boards paper you'll be sitting for the revision books!!
Best of luck:h:

cheers :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest