The Student Room Group

Feminist reaction to kesha contract trial shows why it's scary to be accused of rape.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Both sides are full of tools.
Original post by Underscore__
That's how you define it, I've also seen/heard others says it about the advancement of women's rights which, given the name, seems more plausible

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're the same thing if you think about it. Women are treated worse than men in general throughout the world. If women gain more rights, the sexes become equal
Original post by katieew
They're the same thing if you think about it. Women are treated worse than men in general throughout the world. If women gain more rights, the sexes become equal

No I disagree. Men are certainly treated worse in some areas so if you simply seek to eradicate all of the areas of disadvantage for women you're not seeking equality because we'd be left with women not being disadvantaged and men being disadvantaged in a few areas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katieew

I would say women have more rights in the western world in law, things like maternity leave discriminates against males.

In some nations women are treated worse yet feminists mainly seem to ignore these issues and prefer to campaign to free the nipple.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by katieew
Honestly, I can see the argument from both sides but mainly I agree with you. People are standing by Kesha without any proof. I'm not saying she's lying but without all the evidence the courts can't possibly go in her favour. Rape is such a difficult topic because it's such a serious crime but it's the heardest one to get justice for. However, this isn't a feminist thing. I'm a feminist. So please educate yourself, feminism is about equality of the sexes and if you think that's a stupid 'group' then you're just a misogonyst

Loool I've heard that one before.
Reply 145
Original post by joecphillips
I would say women have more rights in the western world in law, things like maternity leave discriminates against males.

In some nations women are treated worse yet feminists mainly seem to ignore these issues and prefer to campaign to free the nipple.

JoecPhillips please allow these feminists to continue their free the nipple campaign I have no problems with that.
Reply 146
Original post by katieew

Loool are you listening to your thoughts as you write this? It's hilarious! Brilliant piece of satire.
Mancini, I normally agree with a lot of things that you're saying but this thread has actually concerned me a little bit.

Your obsession with feminism as being bad is worrying - feminism is to do with the equality of the sexes and was named 'feminism' as women at the time that it was so named were perceived as having a lower status than men. Anyone who supports misandry (or indeed misogyny) does not advocate for equality of the sexes and so cannot be a feminist.

As for the rape case, we should not assume Kesha is lying, nor should we assume that the producer (whose name I forget) is guilty. No sides should be chosen until a verdict has proved who is telling the truth in this case.
Original post by georgiaswift
Mancini, I normally agree with a lot of things that you're saying but this thread has actually concerned me a little bit.

Your obsession with feminism as being bad is worrying - feminism is to do with the equality of the sexes and was named 'feminism' as women at the time that it was so named were perceived as having a lower status than men. Anyone who supports misandry (or indeed misogyny) does not advocate for equality of the sexes and so cannot be a feminist.

As for the rape case, we should not assume Kesha is lying, nor should we assume that the producer (whose name I forget) is guilty. No sides should be chosen until a verdict has proved who is telling the truth in this case.

That is what it started out as but one of the most famous feminists have stated they don't want equality.
That is what it started out as but one of the most famous feminists have stated they don't want equality.

If they don't want equality then they are not a feminist. It really is that simple. Feminism is equality of the genders. If they don't want that then they are not a feminist.
I'm aware of that, that's exactly what conviction rates should be judged on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nop. Judged on a percentage of all reported crimes that end in a conviction. For rape this is 6%. Over 80% do not reach trial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While the conviction rate for rape is pretty low it's nowhere near as bad as you're making out. It's currently at 57% which hardly means 'pretty much all accused of rape get off'. The right to be seen as innocent until proven guilty is a human right enshrined in our domestic legislation; it should never be taken away from anyone. If it favours rapists then it also favours robbers, murders, fraudsters and every other criminal so if you think it should be changed for rape why not everything else? Like I've already said more than half are found guilty so stop making out like a rape conviction is so rare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I didn't make myself as clear as I thought I did. I was more talking about in Kesha's case, where it happened absolutely years ago. Very hard to prove it happened.
Reply 152
Original post by georgiaswift

Hello Georgiaswift nice to hear from you here on my thread. I am happy that you chose to write on here and give your honest view on my thoughts on feminism.

My thoughts on feminism is based on what feminism is today in the modern world, what feminists have become and the world they are creating and looking to create. I am very sorry to hear you are concerned but I don't think you should have anything to be concerned about, all my thoughts use logic and I have arrived at my thoughts through my own personal experience with feminism, meeting feminists and reading feminist literature this is not something I just thought of in a day or two.

I certainly believe women should have the same rights as men and indeed they do and believe everyone should have equal opportunities. So I am not against women progressing at all in society but nor will I stand by and allow discrimination against males in order to support women. Here in this trial about Kesha women and feminists are doing exactly what they accuse sexists and misogynists of doing, not looking at the evidence at hand and supporting Kesha just because she is a female and making it out to be that this is a tale of men vs women when really it has nothing to do with that. This is a case about a contract and evidence has been looked at and judgement has been made based on evidence and Kesha lost this case based on evidence something many feminist supporters on this page seem to not care about they seem to be happy to dismiss evidence they actually want Kesha to have won this case simply based on her word because a woman's word is the gospel truth apparently.

I don't mind that you are concerned, it is me who has given you that right to even be concerned, I could have chosen to have written this thread under anon like a coward but I chose not to.

I can put my alliances and friendships with people on the line because I only speak the truth with no agenda and I do not have any obsession with feminism. I am sorry that feminism is a hot topic of the day, this subject definitely requires feminist critique due to awful feminist views which I have read on it on social media. I have not picked it out of any obsession or to incite anger towards feminists. I know very well some people may not like my words, there are one or two people on this site who I really respect and get on with including you but I will not hide my true thoughts and deceive you nor censor myself, if you like me you should be aware of my thoughts even the ones you may not agree with and if you choose to not like me because of my thoughts on feminism that is your choice and I will not stop you but I think that will be a foolish choice because you can't like any person no matter how much all of the time this is just a fact of life.

Feminism of today is not about any equality between the sexes but instead to do with the cultural hate of males and the cultural portrayal of males as evil aggressors, I am referring to both young boys and men and it's about the supremacy of women in society over men. So I will criticise feminism where I can and when I can, because I believe it is the right thing to do to protect all society, good women and good men from this menace that is feminism.

Feminism is not about equality in today's world in many cases women are above men, it's about a political ideology which promotes uniformity under a political banner called feminism and I will not support it ever!
Original post by Mancini
The feminist and what seems like general female reaction on social media to the Kesha music contract trial shows to me just how scary it is to be a men and be accused of rape. Most of these women who's words I have read on social media sites are simply supporting Kesha's rape claim just because she's a female basically they wish this record producer Dr Luke to be found guilty just because of one woman's word and trial by social media and I guess everytime a female say's something it must be true. The Salem Witch trials clearly have been forgotten about and any other false accusation of another from a woman in the past. I have only seen maybe 1-3 opposing views supporting the accused from women from over 100 messages on social media so it's quite shocking. All I see mostly is an outcry of '' omg how shocking the men attacking females again'' type responses.

Take note that the Kesha contract trial is not even about rape, it's about Kesha trying to get out of a contract with the Sony music label.

For some reason maybe I am wrong Kesha has not taken this alleged rapist to court for rape instead taking him to court to get out of a contract. So I believe it is reasonable to assume that perhaps she could be telling lies to get out of this contract.

In my view I side with the courts ruling on this, the contract should stand and if Kesha claims to have been raped/sexually assaulted and can prove it, take it to a court of law and go through a trial for that not for a contract.

What is your view on the matter?

Note I have tried not to be sexist to females here and I do not believe the above is , it is simply stating my experience in reading the general response to this contract trial and the general response I have seen is mostly female and supporting of Kesha.

You know what's also scary?

Being raped.

My friend was raped and she had to move away from home so she could be away from the boys who raped her

I know people who were raped and were too scared to leave their house for several days after. I know someone who was raped and they developed a serious eating disorder that they still haven't completely recovered from several decades letter.

The vast majority of women, and in fact people of any gender, who accuse someone of rape are not lying, but when people instantly meet anyone who says they were raped with scepticism you can see why people don't always report it. The process of 'proving' rape often involves medical tests, dredging up an experience over and over again that they never asked for and would love to forget and court cases where they have to testify against their rapist, who is often someone they know and probably trusted.

Being raped is terrifying.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist

Being raped.

My friend was raped and she had to move away from home so she could be away from the boys who raped her

I know people who were raped and were too scared to leave their house for several days after. I know someone who was raped and they developed a serious eating disorder that they still haven't completely recovered from several decades letter.

The vast majority of women, and in fact people of any gender, who accuse someone of rape are not lying, but when people instantly meet anyone who says they were raped with scepticism you can see why people don't always report it. The process of 'proving' rape often involves medical tests, dredging up an experience over and over again that they never asked for and would love to forget and court cases where they have to testify against their rapist, who is often someone they know and probably trusted.

No one has said that being raped isn't terrifying, he is talking about the feminist reaction saying guilty until proven innocent which has occurred here.
Reply 155
Original post by aspirinpharmacist

Being raped.

This thread is not about your friend being raped nor about how scary it is to be raped we can all assume it's very scary to be raped we don't need your comments on it thank you.

Stick to the topic or do not bother posting at all.

I am not even going to bother commenting on your reasons on why people don't report rape.
If she was raped when she was 18, why is she trying to get an injunction now, so many years later?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ivybridge
I'm not saying it happened and I'm not saying it didn't but I can't figure out what Ke$ha's motive would be for lying about this...

She has already sworn under oath that it didn't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one has said that being raped isn't terrifying, he is talking about the feminist reaction saying guilty until proven innocent which has occurred here.

Yet when it comes to false allegations, most anti-feminists adopt a 'guilty until proven innocent approach'...
Original post by 0123456543210
She should be lucky that the producer didn't take a court action against her for defamation. A statement alone shouldn't make one liable for an offence, especially if it is a statement coming from an experienced crackhead who could be reasonably seen to just try to avoid the contract with no regards to the person she accused in order to do so.

Actually he has already filed a counter claim for deformation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending