The Student Room Group

Are these suitable subjects for Oxbridge? IB

i want to study computer science at Uni preferably at Oxbridge (who doesnt:colondollar:)
I have talked to my IB coordinator and the provisional subjects i chose were
Math HL
Physics HL
ITGS HL
Economics SL
English SL
Spanish SL

1. Would doing 4 HL's put me at an advantage? I was thinking of doing Economics HL as well
2. Is ITGS a 'soft subject' and should i avoid it? I genuinely enjoy computer and i think i can do quite well in it.
3. If it is a soft subject what should i change it to?

My school doesnt offer Computer Science or Further Maths so that is out of the question. I also HATE Chemistry so i can't do that.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks:smile:
I don't think doing a 4th HL would make any difference to your application; you'd be giving yourself more work for no benefit. Some people say ITGS is soft, but I wouldn't let that put you off. I suggest you email Oxford and ask them directly what they think of ITGS before you decide against it.
Original post by Snufkin
I don't think doing a 4th HL would make any difference to your application; you'd be giving yourself more work for no benefit. Some people say ITGS is soft, but I wouldn't let that put you off. I suggest you email Oxford and ask them directly what they think of ITGS before you decide against it.

Thank you for that reply. I also have an issue. I read online that only 1% of the candidates can get a 7 in ITGS. From the knowledge of my teachers i dont expect a seven. I like economics as well but it would be much more work but a much higher chance of a 7. Which scenario is better?
A: ITGS HL. I get at most a 6, but i have a lot of time to study and revise for Math HL and Physics HL meaning a higher chance of 7 in those
B: Economics HL: I can get a 7 but my chances for getting 7's in both Math and Physics would be lower. (Most likely only one of the two)

Any thoughts?
Original post by ahsenrauf
Thank you for that reply. I also have an issue. I read online that only 1% of the candidates can get a 7 in ITGS. From the knowledge of my teachers i dont expect a seven. I like economics as well but it would be much more work but a much higher chance of a 7. Which scenario is better?
A: ITGS HL. I get at most a 6, but i have a lot of time to study and revise for Math HL and Physics HL meaning a higher chance of 7 in those
B: Economics HL: I can get a 7 but my chances for getting 7's in both Math and Physics would be lower. (Most likely only one of the two)

Any thoughts?

I don't know, but you don't need three 7s anyway, you're overthinking this.
Original post by Snufkin

I think i am... Thanks for the help
Original post by Snufkin

I've emailed Oxford and Cambridge about this. Hopefully i can get a useful reply:biggrin:
I'm an HL Econ student and I have friends who take SL econ so I feel confident when I say that the difference between HL Econ and SL Econ is not very much. HL Econ students sit an additional paper (Paper 3) which is based on the numerical part of the syllabus. It would not be difficult for u at all since you're planning on taking HL maths, even a SL studies student can score a level 7 on paper 3.

Other than the numerical paper, HL students have to learn additional content (obviously). But this content is not anymore difficult than the stuff u learn at SL. Economics is not like the sciences or maths where HL students learn more content at a more complex level.

Remember, you will have a lot of time to practice your maths and physics (assuming you dont procrastinate too much) so taking HL econ will not really damage your chances of getting 7s.
Read the entry requirements on the course webpage. If you still have questions then email the university.

IB: 39 (including core points) with 766 at HL
Reply 8
Don't worry your course choices. The entrance exam you will take is really important, either MAT or STEP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending