The Student Room Group

Germany migrant shelter fire 'cheered by onlookers'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MildredMalone
Nope, them ones are fine. It's the ones who are part of the current migrant crisis that are the issue.

I've spoke to you about this before on other threads and I'm fairly sure you don't understand what I've said.

You cannot wall off part of the world when it suits us to do so.

To achieve western civilisation as we see it today we messed with other people's culture and did bad ****. Why are we all of a sudden on our high horse?!

The people who have come over as part of the migrant crisis are problematic because Europe haven't sorted out a strategy to implement a proper humanitarian relief effort.

These people are human. They are not 'worthless'. A lot of them require our support and help. Do not let the actions of a relative minority, combined with the media focus, make you react so extremely to desanctify the lives of other human beings.

Admitting innocent people from Syria/similar using a comprehensive strategy is just as important to dealing with extremism in the Middle East as target bombing.

Lots of 'white' and native people do bad things. Rape, steal, murder. A lot of them also don't work and could be deemed 'worthless' to society by your standards. This is a slippery slope and is exactly the mentality of naziism, whether you like that suggestion or not.

reducing hypocrisy as much as possible, is advisable.
Reply 41
Original post by Ethereal World

Lots of 'white' and native people do bad things. Rape, steal, murder. A lot of them also don't work and could be deemed 'worthless' to society by your standards. This is a slippery slope and is exactly the mentality of naziism, whether you like that suggestion or not.

The fact that we have our bad guys is not an excuse to blindly admit anybody fleeing a war in the world. We already have to deal with our benefit scroungers and criminals, there is no need for importing more of these. Immigrants should benefit the host country or be sent back.

Your politics triggers a rise of far-right parties all over Europe. Peoples don't want mass immigration. Can't you see what you are doing?
Original post by Josb
The fact that we have our bad guys is not an excuse to blindly admit anybody fleeing a war in the world. We already have to deal with our benefit scroungers and criminals, there is no need for importing more of these. Immigrants should benefit the host country or be sent back.

Your politics triggers a rise of far-right parties all over Europe. Peoples don't want mass immigration. Can't you see what you are doing?

You have failed to respond to what I suggested in response to a similar style of comment of yours on my blog thread.

I do not support mass and uncontrolled immigration.

I support a gradual influx of genuine refugees with pan European funding to vet them, control the pressure points, and integrate them.

The fact that you people see this as such a one extreme or the other solution is the issue. There is a grey area here you know! The fact that people think like that and are unable to see solutions and thus react with 'extremism' is the reason for right wing nationalist politics thriving in Europe, not 'my politics'.

Overall if we aren't going to sort this out properly and do what Germany have done i don't actually support immigration at all in the climate. It's bad for both the immigrants and for us.

All I've advocated for is a strategy and I will not forget that these people are human and are not worthless.
(edited 8 years ago)
Seconded.
Original post by BaconandSauce
What about the millions who aren't?

Where are these millions of Muslims who aren't? The only people I see who have a problem assimilating into Western societies are the vacuous bigots who cannot tolerate the idea of multiculturalism. As much as I like Yolandi, you're a tool.

Original post by MildredMalone
Nope, them ones are fine. It's the ones who are part of the current migrant crisis that are the issue.

You base this on what exactly? The strange thing is that the people who are escaping Syria are the people who are most threatened by IS's Wahhabi ideology, in part due to many migrants' agreement with Western lifestyle and ideologies. They are the people who would be hanged, whipped or fined by the Mutaween were they to have stayed in IS-controlled/threatened areas. These people are in fact the Muslims who are the most compatible with Western culture.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Where are these millions of Muslims who aren't?

All over Europe

Here are some articles about the issue

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=muslim+integration+UK&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUgKmsjIvLAhWGQBoKHXMtAUgQgQMIJjAA

Denying this is an issue is not constructive and will only hand the debate to the far right.

But I happen to live on the outskirts of a insular Muslim community so I am well aware of the issue non integration causes.

See Gaza for more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by caravaggio2
We've read how this may lead to the break up of Europe.
The way things are going we could see it leading to the break up of Germany.
Has there ever been a more disastrous miscalculation by a modern European leader of their own people?😞

The poll tax,Maggie Thatcher.

I don't think Merkel misunderstood her own people.I think she merely wanted to do what she thought was right .

As did Thatcher.But Thatcher thought she could force her unpopular policy on her people.

I hope Merkel proves to have more humility.
I've spoke to you about this before on other threads and I'm fairly sure you don't understand what I've said.

To achieve western civilisation as we see it today we messed with other people's culture and did bad ****. Why are we all of a sudden on our high horse?!

The people who have come over as part of the migrant crisis are problematic because Europe haven't sorted out a strategy to implement a proper humanitarian relief effort.

These people are human. They are not 'worthless'. A lot of them require our support and help. Do not let the actions of a relative minority, combined with the media focus, make you react so extremely to desanctify the lives of other human beings.

Admitting innocent people from Syria/similar using a comprehensive strategy is just as important to dealing with extremism in the Middle East as target bombing.

Preach sister!

Anyway this is so ficking sickening. People who are justifying this and think it's hilarious need their heads examining. Where the **** is our humanity.
Original post by The_Internet
Germans should really know better than any one not to be so..prejudiced. (Also, I'd imagine most Germans are not like this at all)

Reports claims it was 30 drunken people

So yes most Germans are not like this
I do wonder if the same situation would happen in the UK, provided that we were in Germany's predicament, would we react any different?

Somehow, I doubt it...
Original post by DiddyDec
See Gaza for more details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's something to aspire to? And the problems are limited to the confines of gaza are they?! :tongue:

I'd rather investigate other types of strips.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
All over Europe

Here are some articles about the issue

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=muslim+integration+UK&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUgKmsjIvLAhWGQBoKHXMtAUgQgQMIJjAA

Denying this is an issue is not constructive and will only hand the debate to the far right.

But I happen to live on the outskirts of a insular Muslim community so I am well aware of the issue non integration causes.

Merely referring to a vague Google search term is not in itself a persuasive argument, nor is it a sign of decent scholarship. Provide a degree of specificity in future undertakings.

As for the point about "I live near some Muslims, so I know". Classic fallacy of composition, what is true for the part must be true of the whole. My wife doesn't like Krispy Kreme, so wives don't like Krispy Kreme. Moreover, these people's not going to street parties and general avoidance of you does not mean they are not assimilated into society. I too would let your phone calls go to voicemail, but I think I am at one with British society.
That's something to aspire to? And the problems are limited to the confines of gaza are they?! :tongue:

I'd rather investigate other types of strips.

Certainly not something to aspire to but worth bearing in mind that it is possible to wall off a place.

Such a tease.
Original post by queen-bee
Preach sister!

Anyway this is so ficking sickening. People who are justifying this and think it's hilarious need their heads examining. Where the **** is our humanity.

Preaching to the converted when it comes to you.

Anyway I'm off to rethink everything I've ever thought because appaz according to the really big brains in this conversation there are only two options to deal with the situation, and apparently people are unable to think in terms of solution and strategy and instead deride your 'leftie politics' at the suggestion of anything that isn't OMFG LETS BUILD A WALL, and then blame you for their own screwed up ideologies. :facepalm2: :h:
Original post by DiddyDec
Certainly not something to aspire to but worth bearing in mind that it is possible to wall off a place.

Such a tease.

Israel and Palestine is quite a unique situation though. You cannot build a wall around Europe and measures that represent that even if they are not literal are not sustainable and will only serve to intensify the issues in the long-term.
Not surprised - the old East Germany is well known for its fair proportion of right-wing nutters.

A real shame but I hope it encourages people to realise our reactions have gone too far.
Israel and Palestine is quite a unique situation though. You cannot build a wall around Europe and measures that represent that even if they are not literal are not sustainable and will only serve to intensify the issues in the long-term.

Great Wall of Europe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Merely referring to a vague Google search term is not in itself a persuasive argument, nor is it a sign of decent scholarship. Provide a degree of specificity in future undertakings.

As for the point about "I live near some Muslims, so I know". Classic fallacy of composition, what is true for the part must be true of the whole. My wife doesn't like Krispy Kreme, so wives don't like Krispy Kreme. Moreover, these people's not going to street parties and general avoidance of you does not mean they are not assimilated into society. I too would let your phone calls go to voicemail, but I think I am at one with British society.

I gave you a list of scholarly articles regarding the integration of the Muslim population they deal with most of Europe so no, not just 'vague' searches. Oddly enough something I've done for part of my PHD so 'decent' enough

But as I say dismiss all you like but all you are doing is handing this to the far right.

I am not here to convince you it is an issue as this has already been accepted. I'm here to try and keep the discussion out of the hands of the far right if possible but I can how they are going to win this if your type of contribution is part of the norm
Reply 59

I'm on your side of the argument.For now at least.

However I get the impression that an ever growing number of voters simply do not want more Muslims or indeed migrants in their respective countries.

This summer and next summer it looks very much as if there will be a huge tide of yet more migrants attempting to get into Europe.

If they succeed I think it likely that the result will lead to the break up of the EU and/ or a pronounced shift to the right in European politics which may stay that way for many years.

You have the moral high ground but your attitude and the attitude of many like you may be leading Europe into a state of affairs from whence it can never return.

Quick Reply