The Student Room Group

Guys !! how much can a student make from a part time job a year ?

Hi guys ! as I said how much can a student make working part time including holidays and summer time ?

and i'm relying on it to fund my studies, do I need an other source of funding?

please Help ( International student )
Reply 1
Is it that hard to use calculator? Also, you haven't said how long you can work per week so I'll give you example.

£6.70 is a national minimum wage for 21+.

Let's say you're working 15 hours a week.

You'll earn approximately £5.226 a year.

Just remember that most employers charge you tax even when they shouldn't so you'll need to notify hmrc.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Impressive
Is it that hard to use calculator? Also, you haven't said how long you can work per week so I'll give you example.

£6.70 is a national minimum wage for 18+.

Just remember that most employers charge you tax even when they shouldn't so you'll need to notify hmrc.

Spoiler

My friend got taxed and he worked only 10 days on £ 7 an hour. He has to wait 35 days for hmrc to reinburse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

The minimum wag is actually £5.30 for 18+ it is £6.70 for 21+

With regard to tax, When you first start a job HMRC may give you an emergency tax code- which will assume a basic tax allowance and therefore unless you are earning more than £200 a week you shouldn't pay tax .

However when you do a summer job it can be more complicated because you may be earning more and the system might assume that your yearly income is 12 X your monthly pay and the system and tax you accordingly. If you have a P45 from a previous job you should give this to your employer as they can show the HMRC what you have earnt in that tax year.

If you are taxed but earn less than the Personal allowance (£10,600 this year £11,000 next year) You can claim the tax back ( form using a P50 form )

You also need to think about National Insurance which is payable if you earn over £155 a week.

As an International student you may find that you won't have to pay tax in the UK ( but will be liable in your home country ) It depends what type of agreement your home country hs with the UK !

You can find information about it here https://www.gov.uk/student-jobs-paying-tax

How much you earn will be dependant on how much time you have to work and if you are looking at minimum wage jobs or have skills that mean you can do a summer job that pays a little better

Hope that helps
Reply 4
Thanks guys it was really helpful !
one more question !
what kind of jobs International students often get ?
and I speak 5 languages fluently what do you suggest for me ?
Reply 5
My teacher has a friend who is an interpreter and they get good money for the work done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by watchingyouwatch
The minimum wag is actually £5.30 for 18+ it is £6.70 for 21+

With regard to tax, When you first start a job HMRC may give you an emergency tax code- which will assume a basic tax allowance and therefore unless you are earning more than £200 a week you shouldn't pay tax .

However when you do a summer job it can be more complicated because you may be earning more and the system might assume that your yearly income is 12 X your monthly pay and the system and tax you accordingly. If you have a P45 from a previous job you should give this to your employer as they can show the HMRC what you have earnt in that tax year.

If you are taxed but earn less than the Personal allowance (£10,600 this year £11,000 next year) You can claim the tax back ( form using a P50 form )

You also need to think about National Insurance which is payable if you earn over £155 a week.

As an International student you may find that you won't have to pay tax in the UK ( but will be liable in your home country ) It depends what type of agreement your home country hs with the UK !

You can find information about it here https://www.gov.uk/student-jobs-paying-tax

How much you earn will be dependant on how much time you have to work and if you are looking at minimum wage jobs or have skills that mean you can do a summer job that pays a little better

Hope that helps

Thanks guys it was really helpful !one more question !what kind of jobs International students often get ?and I speak 5 languages fluently what do you suggest for me ?

Spoiler

No, it's not lol.
That is for 21+
Reply 8
Original post by loveleest
No, it's not lol.
That is for 21+

Didn't check. It's okay now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I work in a supermarket (but also have lots of part-time jobs at uni like ambassador work, mentoring and helping a PhD student with her research). On my main supermarket job I earn between £8-9k, depending on how much overtime I do during the summer.
Reply 10
Original post by lilacwanda28
I work in a supermarket (but also have lots of part-time jobs at uni like ambassador work, mentoring and helping a PhD student with her research). On my main supermarket job I earn between £8-9k, depending on how much overtime I do during the summer.

thanks that made me feel comfortable about funding my studies !
Original post by ESZEE
thanks that made me feel comfortable about funding my studies !

good I'm glad! Most unis have in-house jobs like student ambassador work, tour guides and stuff. Not only are they fun but usually they pay well too, mine all pay London living wage :smile:
although my supermarket job is just over our standard base rate despite me being there for nearly 4 years :ashamed:
I heard many rumours on international students barred from getting part time jobs , is that still true? how many hours can you work if possible?
Reply 13
Original post by jakjak95
I heard many rumours on international students barred from getting part time jobs , is that still true? how many hours can you work if possible?

With Tier 4 general student visa you can work up to 20 hours pw !
I will be arriving to the UK in august, should I book a job at Uni earlier ? or just when I come to the UK !
Original post by ESZEE
Hi guys ! as I said how much can a student make working part time including holidays and summer time ?

and i'm relying on it to fund my studies, do I need an other source of funding?

please Help ( International student )

not a lot unless you're compromising, study time and not having a life at all. you should try and find out about as many scholarship, grant and loan opportunities as you can because there are lots out there, you just have to find them.

you have to take in expenses of travelling, eating, buying books, if you're renting, rent and bills, etc.
Reply 15
Original post by OceanRose
not a lot unless you're compromising, study time and not having a life at all. you should try and find out about as many scholarship, grant and loan opportunities as you can because there are lots out there, you just have to find them.

you have to take in expenses of travelling, eating, buying books, if you're renting, rent and bills, etc.

how much does that cost generally ?
unfortunatly I am not eligible for loans as an International student and I am trying to find scolarships and sponsors but I had no luck !
hopefully I will before enrolment on the course !
Original post by ESZEE
Thanks guys it was really helpful !
one more question !
what kind of jobs International students often get ?
and I speak 5 languages fluently what do you suggest for me ?

Most normal jobs get jobs in places such as- shops, supermarkets, fast food places, restaurants, tourist attractions etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending