The Student Room Group

HYMS Offer Holders 2016

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd make a new thread for offer holders and our many questions!!!

Well done everyone for getting an offer and hopefully see you in September :tongue::wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

Received an offer last week, really can't contain my excitement!! :biggrin: I'm a graduate so getting an offer means a lot. Finally going to be a medic! Still waiting for Keele to get back to me but I'm pretty happy with HYMS :smile:

Are you still waiting to hear from other places or are you set on hyms? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sheo
Hey!

Received an offer last week, really can't contain my excitement!! :biggrin: I'm a graduate so getting an offer means a lot. Finally going to be a medic! Still waiting for Keele to get back to me but I'm pretty happy with HYMS :smile:

Are you still waiting to hear from other places or are you set on hyms? :smile:

Congratulation !! :smile:
I am also a graduate applicant and it really feels like they are accepting a lot of graduates this year. Most of the replies in another HYMS thread are also graduates for some reason.

Do you prefer Keele or HYMS?
Reply 3
Original post by Rionage
Congratulation !! :smile:
I am also a graduate applicant and it really feels like they are accepting a lot of graduates this year. Most of the replies in another HYMS thread are also graduates for some reason.

Do you prefer Keele or HYMS?

that's awesome :smile: they are! which is something I didn't expect. I didn't meet anyone at my interview who was a grad so it's exciting to know that there's quite a few of us :smile:

haha when I say I'm waiting on Keele, I haven't heard anything back from them yet - no interview/rejection. They're being pretty slow with giving them out. but yes any medical school is good with me :smile: HYMS is close to home as well which is a bonus.

Where else are you waiting to hear from or heard back from? :smile:
Reply 4
Guys! I'm a graduate too, I'm nearly 25. Excited to finally start! Ive applied three times and I'm in at last! I met one other graduate at my interview but she was a final year undergrad so technically not yet a grad...

This is my first post interview decision but I'm really really liking HYMS so far! Who's firming for sure?

What are the other grads thinking they'll do for accommodation at either campus? I was thinking student house for Hull, maybe cheapest postgrad college for York as houses aren't much cheaper and are further out?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Emilyi20
Guys! I'm a graduate too, I'm nearly 25. Excited to finally start! Ive applied three times and I'm in at last! I met one other graduate at my interview but she was a final year undergrad so technically not yet a grad...

This is my first post interview decision but I'm really really liking HYMS so far! Who's firming for sure?

What are the other grads thinking they'll do for accomodation at either campus? I was thinking student house for Hull, maybe cheapest postgrad college for York as houses aren't much cheaper and are further out?

Well done on the offer! It's such a good feeling when you make it, after trying so many times before! This is my second time applying having applied during a gap year before my degree.

I really should say I'm an undergrad (3rd year) too :colondollar: but yeah most likely firming! :smile:

Accommodation wise I think that is the way I'd probably go too, save as much money as possible haha. I've just recently found out we potentially get a bit more funding than previous years? because normally we're eligible for the maintenance loan only and no grant but now that they've scrapped the grant we may be able to get the full maintenance loan (upwards of 8,000 per year now) depending on household income. I don't know if you've heard of this. I asked about this on another thread and one of the moderators confirmed it although I think I'll ring up SFE sometime and double check.
Reply 6
Congratulations to everyone with offers :smile: I really liked how friendly the staff and students are at this medical school! Do HYMS have an Offer-holders day?
Reply 7
Original post by ash757
Congratulations to everyone with offers :smile: I really liked how friendly the staff and students are at this medical school! Do HYMS have an Offer-holders day?

I assume they will be sending out emails with the dates for offer-holder days after all their decisions have been given out. Congrats on everyone's offers :biggrin: so relieved to hear some good news after 3 years of trying to get into medicine as an undergraduate :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Sheo
Well done on the offer! It's such a good feeling when you make it, after trying so many times before! This is my second time applying having applied during a gap year before my degree.

I really should say I'm an undergrad (3rd year) too :colondollar: but yeah most likely firming! :smile:

Accommodation wise I think that is the way I'd probably go too, save as much money as possible haha. I've just recently found out we potentially get a bit more funding than previous years? because normally we're eligible for the maintenance loan only and no grant but now that they've scrapped the grant we may be able to get the full maintenance loan (upwards of 8,000 per year now) depending on household income. I don't know if you've heard of this. I asked about this on another thread and one of the moderators confirmed it although I think I'll ring up SFE sometime and double check.

I haven't heard that! When I do the student finance estimate thing accurately as a graduate I get like 5740 loan plus 172 for 'long courses'. 8k would be amazing! I really really hope that's true! I also need to ring sf because my situation is weird at the moment - I'm doing a temporary live in job in Scotland. Will being in Scotland mess things up? If I use my home (mum's) address the household income includes hers and isn't representative, plus makes me ineligible for the HYMS accommodation bursary - for anyone who doesn't know, if you have a household income of under 25k you get 2400 each year off HYMS towards accommodation. I've only lived at home for a few months total since I was 18 so I don't think i should use my mum's income...
Reply 9
Original post by Sheo
that's awesome :smile: they are! which is something I didn't expect. I didn't meet anyone at my interview who was a grad so it's exciting to know that there's quite a few of us :smile:

haha when I say I'm waiting on Keele, I haven't heard anything back from them yet - no interview/rejection. They're being pretty slow with giving them out. but yes any medical school is good with me :smile: HYMS is close to home as well which is a bonus.

Where else are you waiting to hear from or heard back from? :smile:

I have an interview with QUB on 25th Feb, but I'd much prefer HYMS simply because we have the chance to interact with patient from Year 1. I feel this experience would be very important and valuable.

From your excited sentences I feel you like Keele a lot too? (correct me if I am wrong:tongue:) Just wondering if they both offer you a place, how would you make your choice? :smile:
Reply 10
I haven't heard that! When I do the student finance estimate thing accurately as a graduate I get like 5740 loan plus 172 for 'long courses'. 8k would be amazing! I really really hope that's true! I also need to ring sf because my situation is weird at the moment - I'm doing a temporary live in job in Scotland. Will being in Scotland mess things up? If I use my home (mum's) address the household income includes hers and isn't representative, plus makes me ineligible for the HYMS accommodation bursary - for anyone who doesn't know, if you have a household income of under 25k you get 2400 each year off HYMS towards accommodation. I've only lived at home for a few months total since I was 18 so I don't think i should use my mum's income...

yeah I'm not sure to be honest! I will report back when I find out :smile:

I have no idea. best thing to do would probably check with SFE. yes I'm loving the fact HYMS is able to help us out with their bursary! Did not know this until recently but makes things just that bit easier
Original post by Sheo
yeah I'm not sure to be honest! I will report back when I find out :smile:

I have no idea. best thing to do would probably check with SFE. yes I'm loving the fact HYMS is able to help us out with their bursary! Did not know this until recently but makes things just that bit easier

I know, I didn't know until I got my offer to be honest, I saw it on their funding page.

I'm waiting to hear from Glasgow and Leicester post interview but HYMS has so many good points. Like someone's already said their early clinical contact is a huge plus, because it starts early but actually runs every week, some other schools say they start clinical contact early but it's actually one visit per semester or something which isn't ideal! And HYMS were so friendly and I loved the fact they gave us time before and after to discuss things and treated people individually, I think the small year groups will mean that treatment will continue on the course too. Another big plus for me.
Reply 12
Original post by Rionage
I have an interview with QUB on 25th Feb, but I'd much prefer HYMS simply because we have the chance to interact with patient from Year 1. I feel this experience would be very important and valuable.

From your excited sentences I feel you like Keele a lot too? (correct me if I am wrong:tongue:) Just wondering if they both offer you a place, how would you make your choice? :smile:

ah good luck for your interview! :smile: yes early clinical contact is definitely a selling point.

I'm pretty neutral. I have a friend at both universities and they both rave about their med course. To be honest I'm just elated that I'm finally in! I loved HYMS when I went for my interview, got a super friendly vibe from it :smile: I'm not betting on Keele getting back to me with an interview and honestly if they gave me an offer I don't know what I'd do :P Right now HYMS being my only offer it's looking likely I'll firm!
Reply 13
I know, I didn't know until I got my offer to be honest, I saw it on their funding page.

I'm waiting to hear from Glasgow and Leicester post interview but HYMS has so many good points. Like someone's already said their early clinical contact is a huge plus, because it starts early but actually runs every week, some other schools say they start clinical contact early but it's actually one visit per semester or something which isn't ideal! And HYMS were so friendly and I loved the fact they gave us time before and after to discuss things and treated people individually, I think the small year groups will mean that treatment will continue on the course too. Another big plus for me.

oh I'm doing my degree at Leicester at the minute! How did you find the university when you came for interview? :smile: Do you know where you'd pick if you get offers from all 3?

I agree. Got such a good vibe from HYMS - it feels like it's a very close-knit course and everyone seemed super nice. I was dreading the group interview because I'd heard horror stories about them at other uni's but it was probably one I performed the best in just because I felt so comfortable and it felt more like a discussion than an interview. Did you have your interview at Hull or York? Any preference of where you'd like to be allocated to? :smile:
I am a graduate with an offer too :smile: I'm glad there are lots of graduates, I was worrying I was going to be the oldest!!

Congratulations to everyone with offers :smile:
Well done everyone! I got my offer last Thursday, and I'm currently still at sixth form. I had my interview at York so haven't had a chance to look round Hull yet- what did people think of it? 😁
Reply 16
Congratulations to everyone with an offer! I'm so excited! I got my offer on Thursday as well and I'm also currently in sixth form. :smile: I was interviewed at Hull and I actually preferred it to York :smile:
Reply 17
Ayy just got my offer right now. What's up offer holders.
Just got my offer!! Congrats you guys!

Any other international students around? I'm from Vancouver, Canada :smile:
Has anyone got an email from hyms yet or just the track email?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending