The Student Room Group

HM treasury Policy Advisor Grad Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Constant2015
Email them with your preferences now - they are bound to be allocating soon, especially for April, and you wouldn't want to miss out.

The assessments are based on competencies rather than knowledge/experience, so I can't see how they can do it purely based on how you perform at the AC. They did say they take into account your previous experience and knowledge, such as what you have studied too, but people will have their own preferences as well and that you should state these after the offer is made, but in writing.

I met Linsey at the AC who explained the process of department allocations to me. I'd definitely try and contact HMT direct, rather than Penna, if you had any concerns.

That's great advice thanks - I haven't heard or read anything about department allocations! I'll give my HR contact a buzz.

By "performance at AC" I think they meant that if there were limited placements in a particular department and two candidates with equal experience showed an interest, then the higher AC score might prevail? Maybe I misunderstood. Hmm.

Sorry you have to wait to hear back! I'm sure they're just finalising headcount, so fingers crossed you hear soon.
I was told at my assessment centre that you should follow up your preferences in writing via email post offer. They take into account your preference and your experience but have to do that for everyone, so there is no guarantee you will get your preference.

You are unlikely to know until a couple of weeks before joining where you have been allocated though.

The roles are only based in London (Westminster) - there are no other locations for the Policy Adviser positions.

Thank you for your reply, that's really helpful :smile:
Original post by katiem88
By "performance at AC" I think they meant that if there were limited placements in a particular department and two candidates with equal experience showed an interest, then the higher AC score might prevail? Maybe I misunderstood. Hmm.

I think you are right. But that is going to be dependent on both people stating an interest in that area in the first place. I think it also is dependent on how they did in the different exercises. Someone who shows strength in some areas might be suited to some departments more than others.

But I think the key thing is to say what departments you are interested in. If you don't do this upfront then they can't take that into consideration and could allocate you elsewhere just because you didn't state an interest.

Linsey made it clear there are no guarantees as it is all based on business need at the time, but hope it all works out for you when you do join!
I think you are right. But that is going to be dependent on both people stating an interest in that area in the first place. I think it also is dependent on how they did in the different exercises. Someone who shows strength in some areas might be suited to some departments more than others.

But I think the key thing is to say what departments you are interested in. If you don't do this upfront then they can't take that into consideration and could allocate you elsewhere just because you didn't state an interest.

Linsey made it clear there are no guarantees as it is all based on business need at the time, but hope it all works out for you when you do join!

At the end of the day, I reckon all placements will pose different challenges so it doesn't really matter where you go because you'll still get that great exposure and responsibility :smile: I've messaged Harry at HR about the placement allocation process so I'll post on here when I get a solid answer!
So just to check...is everyone else who has a confirmed offer, still waiting to hear the specifics?

If I'm right, this is the last week of AC's, so it'll be next week at the earliest before we hear any details?

EDIT: has anyone else asked for deferred entry to 2017?
(edited 8 years ago)
Can we ask for a deferred entry?
I did, and they said they'd get back to me in a few weeks when they're deciding on allocations etc. The FAQs on the recruitment website say...

"Our spring cohort will be expected to start in April 2016. Those currently studying will join our autumn cohort and will be expected to start in September 2016. If you are successful and unable to start at this time we will discuss with you the possibility of deferring your start date.
No info on placements, but start date now confirmed - 25 April :smile:
Hey,

I have a question to those who have got an offer (congrats btw!)- how did you feel your AC went for each of the three elements?
Hey,

Has anyone for the September intake received an offer yet?
Original post by Monday22february
Hey,

Has anyone for the September intake received an offer yet?

Yes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say yes, do you mean you've received a confirmed start date of September, or you've had an offer and requested a September start date?

I requested September at interview, and received an offer, but now I've asked to defer it to 2017 if possible and still waiting to hear back.
Original post by Wednesday17th
When you say yes, do you mean you've received a confirmed start date of September, or you've had an offer and requested a September start date?

I requested September at interview, and received an offer, but now I've asked to defer it to 2017 if possible and still waiting to hear back.

I'm still at uni so the offer they gave me was for a September start. Try ringing them? They're really busy atm so that's probably the best way of getting an answer if you need it soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arctic95
Hey,

I have a question to those who have got an offer (congrats btw!)- how did you feel your AC went for each of the three elements?

Realised nobody had replied to this! Um felt really good after the interview, good after the presentation although that night I thought of something much cooler that would have been a better answer to something they asked (ah well) and for the written exercise, I felt okay because I actually managed to finish it which for me personally was somewhat of a miracle as I sometimes run out of time at the end. Though there's always a touch of uncertainty over whether you've covered everything that they want but hey ho...
Original post by andrea13z
I had the AC last Monday and got an offer on Thursday. As I am waiting for the outcome of other applications I would like to wait before accepting it. They mentioned no deadline for accepting the offer. Anyone in the same situation?

Yes. Did you accept the offer in the phone call or tell them youre waiting on others? Wonder if we got the same offer email
Reply 295
Hey,
Congrats to everyone who got an offer!

I've been placed in the "reserve pool" of candidates :confused: My offer is on hold until they finalise numbers.

Anyone else on here been put in this situation this year?

Anyone from previous years been successful in getting an offer from this situation?

I was hoping for a Sept start but have said I'm available in April.

Plz let me know if anyone is in this position...I have no idea how big this reserve pool is! Really hoping to get a place.

KP
Original post by KP40186
Hey,
Congrats to everyone who got an offer!

I've been placed in the "reserve pool" of candidates :confused: My offer is on hold until they finalise numbers.

Anyone else on here been put in this situation this year?

Anyone from previous years been successful in getting an offer from this situation?

I was hoping for a Sept start but have said I'm available in April.

Plz let me know if anyone is in this position...I have no idea how big this reserve pool is! Really hoping to get a place.

KP

From what we were told on the day, I think there are about 20-30 reserves, and whether or not you get a place depends on whether they choose to hire 50 or 80 graduates this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 297
Original post by threebackedbeast
From what we were told on the day, I think there are about 20-30 reserves, and whether or not you get a place depends on whether they choose to hire 50 or 80 graduates this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh ...I didn't know this.

I thought that the main reason for this pool was giving offers to people one by one from the reserve pool as people who have been given offers drop out/take other offers/don't get a 2.1.

Hopefully they take 80 not 50
thanks

KP
Is there anyone else confirmed for April yet (other than @threebackedbeast and myself) ? I hope nobody has to wait too much longer to hear!
Reply 299
Yes I am confirmed for April! Look forward to meeting you guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending