The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Second year English Undergrad, ask me anything!

Hey guys
I'm a second year English student at King's. I live at home, first girl in my family to go to university, have several jobs, a Desmond Tutu scholar, come from a working class background, went to comprehensive school, was on K+, ask me anything! :smile:
Original post by lilacwanda28
Hey guys
I'm a second year English student at King's. I live at home, first girl in my family to go to university, have several jobs, a Desmond Tutu scholar, come from a working class background, went to comprehensive school, was on K+, ask me anything! :smile:

Are you working several jobs to be able to keep afloat with living costs? :s-smilie:

What's the workload like for English?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by SeanFM
Are you working several jobs to be able to keep afloat with living costs? :s-smilie:

What's the workload like for English?

no I'm not! Because I live at home, I have no living costs! I have a weekend job at a supermarket that I've had since I was 16 and some jobs at uni like student ambassador work, buddying, mentoring and I'm also a research assistant to a PhD student. All of these are just extra things I do because I really enjoy them, it's a bonus I get paid!

For English, we have 8 contact hours a week, which doesn't seem a lot, but there's is quite a bit of reading you have to do. In some modules you might have to read up to two novels a week, and if you do 4 modules per term....so a lot of reading, that's why you only have 8 hours contact time. Also, each lecturer in the department has two lots of office hours where you can pop in to see them and discuss anything you want, so the timetables allow you to do that. But also, you're in London! The uni wants you to experience the capital as there's always so much going on. They encourage you to go to all the different museums, exhibitions, shows, libraries so you can widen your perspective and bring new insights into your work and classes.

First year English is pretty much exam-based with a few essay assignments and presentations. However, in second and third years, assessments become pretty top heavy with coursework essays. You'll have about 4 weeks, maybe longer, to write an essay of up to 4,000 words.

Hope this helps :smile: Have you applied to do English?
Reply 3
Hi! I've seen some low student satisfaction things about English at Kings...why do you think this is? Do you enjoy english? also what is the desmond tutu scholarship, and how do you find the social life at kcl? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest