The Student Room Group

Stay home or move away? Need answers

I think I want to go to Cardiff Uni to study crimonology. It's a russel uni which is obviously a huge plus, and it's local so I COULD stay at home.
Except I'm not sure I want to. I kind of want to experience the real student life of living without my parents etc and really get into my studies and become independant while doing so, but then obviously I wouldn't have as much money as I would living at home so I guess that would effect my freedom too.
My question is, should I stay home to study at uni or move away? What did you guys do? Know anyway that moved away and regretted it or vice versa?
Thanks for reading AND PLEASE COMMENT AN OPINION
Original post by Jodie98
I think I want to go to Cardiff Uni to study crimonology. It's a russel uni which is obviously a huge plus, and it's local so I COULD stay at home.
Except I'm not sure I want to. I kind of want to experience the real student life of living without my parents etc and really get into my studies and become independant while doing so, but then obviously I wouldn't have as much money as I would living at home so I guess that would effect my freedom too.
My question is, should I stay home to study at uni or move away? What did you guys do? Know anyway that moved away and regretted it or vice versa?

What other unis do you have in mind?
Reply 2
Original post by cherryred90s
What other unis do you have in mind?

Exceter, Manchester, Bristol, although these are just what I have in mind really
Original post by Jodie98

Nothing to say you couldn't live in halls in Cardiff. I moved 3 hours away for uni and never had any regrets about that decision.
Reply 4
True. I just wondered if it seemed pointless as I live fairly close (half an hours drive) so I wondered if it would be a waste of money?? Living expenses etc or would it be worth the experience?
Original post by claireestelle
Nothing to say you couldn't live in halls in Cardiff. I moved 3 hours away for uni and never had any regrets about that decision.

but did you ever wish you had more money that you could have had if you didn't have to spend it on accomodation?
Reply 6
Original post by thermometer
but did you ever wish you had more money that you could have had if you didn't have to spend it on accomodation?

Thats what I mean
Reply 7
Original post by cherryred90s
They are good choices. How far is Cardiff uni from you?
If Cardiff is the uni you really want to go to, you should go there.

Literally a half hours drive. It is probably my first choice, but i'm not sure whether to move there or stay home, seeing as i live so close

Not at all, I wisely choose the cheapest halls available and having the maximum loan meant I lived quite comfortably.
Original post by Jodie98
True. I just wondered if it seemed pointless as I live fairly close (half an hours drive) so I wondered if it would be a waste of money?? Living expenses etc or would it be worth the experience?

If you can afford to, I d say it's worth it.
Not at all, I wisely choose the cheapest halls available and having the maximum loan meant I lived quite comfortably.

good to know. do you drive/have a car? atm I have the choice of either living at home and being able to buy a car, or living in halls and not have a car (i am fine with public transport, but having a car would also be convenient in many instances)
good to know. do you drive/have a car? atm I have the choice of either living at home and being able to buy a car, or living in halls and not have a car (i am fine with public transport, but having a car would also be convenient in many instances)

No I can't drive but the buses are pretty decent so I haven't needed to.
Reply 12
If you can afford to, I d say it's worth it.

Thanks!!:smile:
nobody says that you have to live away for all three years, but for the first year, you'd bond a lot more if you were in halls like anybody else.

Later, you can choose to move back when you have a group of friends, or share a house with them.
Reply 14
Original post by domonict
nobody says that you have to live away for all three years, but for the first year, you'd bond a lot more if you were in halls like anybody else.

Later, you can choose to move back when you have a group of friends, or share a house with them.

Seeing as most people have said its better to atleast start out in the halls, im definitely swaying towards that. Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending