The Student Room Group

When do you think the downfall of music started?

[video="youtube;ge8H6i24UAU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8H6i24UAU&list=PLtKrfVkxT6ti_3owJsA4NWt_Jt 6N93-Qw[/video]

Ok well in all fairness the video above is only from 2000-2013 and only songs that reached no.1. But for the past couple of years popular music has seemed to....deteriorate... I mean in my opinion the songs up until 2012 in the video were of good quality, but then it all seemed to fall apart...
Of course everyone has their own opinions and may be a fan of music released now...but when I talk to some people they do comment on the downfall of music.
Again it varies from person to person but....
I dunno I thought it would be an interesting topic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i guess since the majority of songs are just about sex, dugs, alcohol and objectify women
In the twelfth century when polyphonic music was developed :pierre:
(edited 8 years ago)
when people started becoming arrogant elitists and thinking music was deteriorating.
No such downfall has occurred. Sorry OP.
Original post by Manitude
In the twelve century when polyphonic music was developed :pierre:

I think it was the use the of tonal scales started in the baroque era...
Original post by e aí rapaz
No such downfall has occurred. Sorry OP.

Well in my opinion it did :h:
Original post by mkap
i guess since the majority of songs are just about sex, dugs, alcohol and objectify women

Well definitely objectifying women made music take a turn for the worse but sex and drugs...?

I'm not sure...
Reply 8
So we have more music in the world, more variety of music easily available, yet you consider music to be in freefall because the mass populace doesn't like the same music you do?

Interesting.
It's because the people who run the massive music corporations know absolutely nothing about music. They know about accountancy and marketing. And people are stupid enough to buy it.

However, there is still good music, but you now have to dig more to find it because of all the mass produced rubbish. That was probably always the way, except there was less rubbish to sift through.

Try not taking any notice of what's shoved in your face by the marketeers, and look elsewhere.
Oh also, here's a hint, if you want to make money off music.

Give it a 6 -4 - 1- 5 chord progression, or variants of. Notice how many tunes use this sickly formula.

It makes it sound saccharine enough for public consumption. Originally only reserved for 9 year old girls, but seems like everyone's buying into it like sheep now.
After 2010, I swear.
Original post by mkap

^true
Or more likely you're just seeing all the music out today good and bad, but the only music from older generations that has survived was the really good stuff. Every era of music has had some truly **** stuff in it.
Reply 14
Original post by frankieboy
Oh also, here's a hint, if you want to make money off music.

Give it a 6 -4 - 1- 5 chord progression, or variants of. Notice how many tunes use this sickly formula.

It makes it sound saccharine enough for public consumption. Originally only reserved for 9 year old girls, but seems like everyone's buying into it like sheep now.

Plenty of great songs written with that progression or varients of it.
1998 onwards.
Original post by mkap

Since the 60s then?
Original post by offhegoes
Plenty of great songs written with that progression or varients of it.

There have admittedly been a small handful that were ok, yes.
Reply 18
Original post by frankieboy
There have admittedly been a small handful that were ok, yes.

Ha, understatement there.

Many great songs have been written using a simple I-IV. It's the musicians that makes the song, not just the
progression.
Original post by offhegoes
Ha, understatement there.

Many great songs have been written using a simple I-IV. It's the musicians that makes the song, not just the
progression.

Does the V not come in there too?

Are you talking about 12 bar? In which case, yeah that's right.

The difference being, to my ear, that the 6-4-1-5 is deliberately used to add a saccharine flavour. Which the twelve bar does not. Quite the opposite in fact.

Quick Reply

Latest