The Student Room Group

Complex Numbers Calculator Issue

Hello

I was just playing around with the ol' Casio and even though it's in complex mode, I get "math error" when I try to work out powers of complex numbers in the rectangular form greater than 2.

For example

(2 + 3i)^2 will give me -5 + 12i normally

but anything larger i.e.

(2+3i)^10 returns an error. Anyone know why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Student403
Hello

I was just playing around with the ol' Casio and even though it's in complex mode, I get "math error" when I try to work out powers of complex numbers in the rectangular form greater than 2.

For example

but anything larger i.e.

What model is it?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
What model is it?

It's a Casio fx-115ES PLUS

EDIT: Just tried on my graphing calculator and that's fine working out arbitrary powers. .Just seems to be this calculator :argh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
It's a Casio fx-115ES PLUS

EDIT: Just tried on my graphing calculator and that's fine working out arbitrary powers. .Just seems to be this calculator :argh:

Looking at the user guide here: http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/004/fx-115_991ES_PLUS_C_EN.pdf it seems like only x^1, x^2, x^(-1) works if x is a complex number, I might be wrong though. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Looking at the user guide here: http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/004/fx-115_991ES_PLUS_C_EN.pdf it seems like only x^1, x^2, x^(-1) works if x is a complex number, I might be wrong though. :frown:

Hmm okay! Thanks for your help :smile: Luckily I think graphing ones are allowed in all exams so I should be fine anyway ^^

PRSOM
Reply 5
Hmm okay! Thanks for your help :smile: Luckily I think graphing ones are allowed in all exams so I should be fine anyway ^^

PRSOM

That's a bit weird though - yeah, all graphing calculators that are non-CAS are allowed in all exams. You'll defo be fine. :yep:
Reply 6

PRSOM

I think you can do it if rather than raising it to the power 3, you multiply it by itself 3 times - if you know what I mean.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
That's a bit weird though - yeah, all graphing calculators that are non-CAS are allowed in all exams. You'll defo be fine. :yep:

:five: Sounds good! :biggrin: Do you own a graphing calc?
Reply 8
:five: Sounds good! :biggrin: Do you own a graphing calc?

My brother has a TI N-Spire so I use that every now and then, I'm not really a fan of calculators though. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by B_9710
I think you can do it if rather than raising it to the power 3, you multiply it by itself 3 times - if you know what I mean.

Oh good call yes :smile: And if you want to, you can do (a+bi)^2(a+bi)^2(a+bi)^2(a+bi) for 7, for example

Original post by Zacken
My brother has a TI N-Spire so I use that every now and then, I'm not really a fan of calculators though. :tongue:
Oh wow! That sounds like a beast xD
Original post by B_9710

Oooh matron :sexface:
Reply 11
Hello

For example

but anything larger i.e.

Oi what GDC do you own?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Oi what GDC do you own?

I have the Casio FX-9860 GII. How about you?
Reply 13
I have the Casio FX-9860 GII. How about you?

I've been meaning to ask you this for a while. I wanted to get that one but I've decided to order the TI-84 instead because a relative is coming back from the States :colondollar: How is it serving you? Does it noticeably help with exams?
I've been meaning to ask you this for a while. I wanted to get that one but I've decided to order the TI-84 instead because a relative is coming back from the States :colondollar: How is it serving you? Does it noticeably help with exams?

Ooh okay my teachers (who are real experts with this kinda stuff) say the Casio has a nicer user interface but the TI is much more powerful. So I guess once you learn it, yours will be much more useful in university!

As for how helpful, I found it invaluable during the SATII MathII exam. But I can also say it saved me last year during the C3 exam. Literally using it, I picked up a graphing mark using it at the last second, which got me to 71/75 which happened to be the boundary for full UMS :biggrin:

So yes, I do have a love for mine :love: I wouldn't say it was noticeable though. But perhaps this year with harder pure modules like FP2/FP3 it will be more useful
Ooh okay my teachers (who are real experts with this kinda stuff) say the Casio has a nicer user interface but the TI is much more powerful. So I guess once you learn it, yours will be much more useful in university!

As for how helpful, I found it invaluable during the SATII MathII exam. But I can also say it saved me last year during the C3 exam. Literally using it, I picked up a graphing mark using it at the last second, which got me to 71/75 which happened to be the boundary for full UMS :biggrin:

So yes, I do have a love for mine :love: I wouldn't say it was noticeable though. But perhaps this year with harder pure modules like FP2/FP3 it will be more useful

i have an Albert

:smug:
Reply 16

Apparently the CASIO doesn't have a natural display??? That kinda put me off, but I did watch some nice video tutorials. Tbh I'm gonna need a while getting adjusted because I've never used anything other than a 991ES :colondollar:

Very nice! It pretty much saved your ass C3 then. Last year's C3 was tricky as well, so good show.

Precisely the two reasons I'm getting it. We can't all be Zacken's now, can we? :wink: He's been doing loci calculations in his backyard since he was born xD
Original post by the bear
i have an Albert

:smug:

We have a Linda!

Apparently the CASIO doesn't have a natural display??? That kinda put me off, but I did watch some nice video tutorials. Tbh I'm gonna need a while getting adjusted because I've never used anything other than a 991ES :colondollar:

Very nice! It pretty much saved your ass C3 then. Last year's C3 was tricky as well, so good show.

Precisely the two reasons I'm getting it. We can't all be Zacken's now, can we? :wink: He's been doing loci calculations in his backyard since he was born xD

I'm not sure what a natural display is xD But yeah it shouldn't take too long to get used to!

It certainly did save my butt :laugh: Thanks a lot!

Agreed :s He had a special childhood :yep:
Reply 18
Lool, I just work them out
We have a Linda!

I'm not sure what a natural display is xD But yeah it shouldn't take too long to get used to!

It certainly did save my butt :laugh: Thanks a lot!

Agreed :s He had a special childhood :yep:

طالب اربع مئة وثلث. ما حدث لك صورة؟ أنت تبدو مختلفة اليوم.

Quick Reply

Latest