The Student Room Group

Results 'gift'

Did you guys get GCSE gifts or presents on results day for doing well?
I was shocked to find the extent that some of my friends parents went to, although I recieved 'well done' gifts and money myself, it was far from outrageous.
And then there are some that find it stupid and your results ARE the gift. My sister is in year 10 now and is about to sit her first lot of GCSE's and I have no doubt she will do very well, and I want to get her something and I'm not sure what.
Did you get results presents? What were they? Are you against or for it?

Scroll to see replies

My parents got me some chocolates haha. (Was pleased ☺️)
But yeh, a lot of people i knew had money incentives, for example for every A* my friend received £200 and £100 for every A 😏
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I didn't get any gifts apart from over-reacting squeals from friends and family. I'm glad of it though, I hardly thought that something as inane as GCSE results was worth getting a gift for.
I got a chocolate slab from Thorntons' when I got my A-level results :smile:
UCL gave me a place. Best results day gift ever. Oh and a scholarship :wink:

But seriously, no. One friend got a cake...
Reply 5
Well I got nothing, actually I think me and my family went out for dinner that's about it.
My brother will be sitting his GCSE's this year and my parents said they would give him £200 for every A* and £100 for every A which I think is a bit excessive personally as I know he'll do well.

I think it is good to provide some sort of incentive to motivate people but it shouldn't be too much because then peoples expectations will be even higher for when they pass their A levels, degree etc.

Maybe get your sister a well done card with some vouchers for stores she likes? I don't think you should say you'll give her a certain amount for each grade. Just give her £100 in vouchers/cash - I'm a girl and I would prefer that than an actual gift which I might not like.
Reply 6
Original post by LiquidGold
My parents got me some chocolates haha. (Was pleased ☺️)
But yeh, a lot of people i knew had money incentives, for example for every A* my friend received £200 and £100 for every A 😏

Reall??!? I had money incentives too, but £200 sounds way way excessive to me!!:s-smilie: The chocolate is a cute idea tho
Reply 7
That's what i initially thought until closer to the time when everyone was bragging about what they would get if they got a few passes:s-smilie:
Original post by Zacken
I didn't get any gifts apart from over-reacting squeals from friends and family. I'm glad of it though, I hardly thought that something as inane as GCSE results was worth getting a gift for.
Reply 8
That's a cute idea!!
Original post by preetg97
I got a chocolate slab from Thorntons' when I got my A-level results :smile:
Reply 9
Well done!! I think those are the kinda incentives I would rather have...
Original post by Noodlzzz
UCL gave me a place. Best results day gift ever. Oh and a scholarship :wink:

But seriously, no. One friend got a cake...
Reply 10
I went out for dinner too, I think thats a fair reward. That amount of money sounds way way excessive to me too, although each to their own:tongue: Yeah I will probably get her some Topshop vouchers or something and put them in a card!! Thanks!!
Original post by aarora
Well I got nothing, actually I think me and my family went out for dinner that's about it.
My brother will be sitting his GCSE's this year and my parents said they would give him £200 for every A* and £100 for every A which I think is a bit excessive personally as I know he'll do well.

I think it is good to provide some sort of incentive to motivate people but it shouldn't be too much because then peoples expectations will be even higher for when they pass their A levels, degree etc.

Maybe get your sister a well done card with some vouchers for stores she likes? I don't think you should say you'll give her a certain amount for each grade. Just give her £100 in vouchers/cash - I'm a girl and I would prefer that than an actual gift which I might not like.
I got a card with messages from my family when i got an A* in maths.
And my dad wrote "congratulations on your mA*ths result"
:biggrin::biggrin:
It was pretty cute.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
awh haha that is cute!!
Original post by Frappé
I got a card with messages from my family when i got an A* in maths.
And my dad wrote "congratulations on your mA*ths result"
:biggrin::biggrin:
It was pretty cute.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
My parents got me a guitar for the effort I put in at GCSEs pre-results..
My little sister wrote me cards for AS results day and GCSE results day which was sweet :h:
Reply 15
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
My parents got me a guitar for the effort I put in at GCSEs pre-results..

That sounds cool as you don't have the added pressure around the results
Reply 16
3 A*S??? I'm aiming for AAB and it will be nothing short of a miracle if i achieve that...I think it's better though that your parents are paying half for the laptop rather than just giving you the money
Original post by JohnGreek
Parents promised to fund half my uni laptop (I've saved the rest myself) if I get 3A*s or more. That works at about £200 per A* at most. I can only dream...
Reply 17
Aw thats so sweet!!
Original post by Student403
My little sister wrote me cards for AS results day and GCSE results day which was sweet :h:
Original post by Jodie98
Aw thats so sweet!!

Yeah :colondollar: I made sure to give her a big hug!
my mum made me an amazing cake xD
It's up to you tho tbh, if she puts a lot of effort into her exams then I don't see why not? Get her something that she loves but don't go to OTT. Though I supposed that as exam results mean the world to some people then why not get them the.....

Quick Reply

Latest