The Student Room Group

Results 'gift'

Scroll to see replies

£50 an A*
i know a few people that get loads of money for doing well but my parents don't really do that. for my results last year, instead of just giving me a present they kind of just treated me to things e.g. lunch/clothes/money to go out.
and i remember when my brother did his they agreed to pay for his reading ticket if he did well (im hoping this will apply to me for this year lol)
so i think it is a bit nicer to be treated rather than get say, £200 pounds in bulk, im not sure why though because it's basically the same thing.
if you wanted to get her something physical, maybe a nice card? just because although they are simple they are really lovely to receive. or maybe bake her something?
My dad got me a bottle of Jack Daniels for doing well in my GCSEs :colondollar:

He said he'll look into getting me a new laptop for uni if I get AA and get into UCL.
Reply 23
So for 1A* 8A's and 2B's I got £200, a well done balloon, a Krispy Kreme donut and got a meal out at an expensive Chinese (that was a joint one with my 16th birthday because I was away on NCS for that)
Reply 24
Original post by Just want oreos
my mum made me an amazing cake xD
It's up to you tho tbh, if she puts a lot of effort into her exams then I don't see why not? Get her something that she loves but don't go to OTT. Though I supposed that as exam results mean the world to some people then why not get them the.....

A couple of poeple have mentioned a cake now!! I think i'll do that along with something else:h:
Reply 25
That's what I had. Luckily for my parents I only had 2 hahah
Original post by Milzime
£50 an A*
Reply 26
I get what you mean, the physicality of them getting you something or treating you to something is much nicer and more thoughtful than a wadd of cash. Reading tickets, you're so lucky omg! Yeah i think i'm gonna make her a cake, get her a card and maybe this pair of jeans i know she wants from topshop:tongue:
Original post by ithinkitslily
i know a few people that get loads of money for doing well but my parents don't really do that. for my results last year, instead of just giving me a present they kind of just treated me to things e.g. lunch/clothes/money to go out.
and i remember when my brother did his they agreed to pay for his reading ticket if he did well (im hoping this will apply to me for this year lol)
so i think it is a bit nicer to be treated rather than get say, £200 pounds in bulk, im not sure why though because it's basically the same thing.
if you wanted to get her something physical, maybe a nice card? just because although they are simple they are really lovely to receive. or maybe bake her something?
Reply 27
Thats the wayyy:biggrin:
Original post by smozsolution
My dad got me a bottle of Jack Daniels for doing well in my GCSEs :colondollar:

He said he'll look into getting me a new laptop for uni if I get AA and get into UCL.
Reply 28
That sounds fair as your results were bloody amazing!! I like the fact they got you the doughnut and the meal as well as the money though
Original post by AfcFob
So for 1A* 8A's and 2B's I got £200, a well done balloon, a Krispy Kreme donut and got a meal out at an expensive Chinese (that was a joint one with my 16th birthday because I was away on NCS for that)
Well my parents said I could go skiing with my cousin this winter if all goes well...so that will be fun!
Original post by Jodie98
Did you guys get GCSE gifts or presents on results day for doing well?
I was shocked to find the extent that some of my friends parents went to, although I recieved 'well done' gifts and money myself, it was far from outrageous.
And then there are some that find it stupid and your results ARE the gift. My sister is in year 10 now and is about to sit her first lot of GCSE's and I have no doubt she will do very well, and I want to get her something and I'm not sure what.
Did you get results presents? What were they? Are you against or for it?

I didn't and yes, I definitely agree with what you're saying. You're doing your exams for your own benefit. Of course little things like your family taking you out for a "Well done" dinner is fine and lovely but parents paying their kids a certain amount per A*... I think that's pretty depressing, to be honest. You should be encouraging your children to be self-motivated, not paying them for doing things they ought to be doing already.
Reply 31
Original post by Plagioclase
I didn't and yes, I definitely agree with what you're saying. You're doing your exams for your own benefit. Of course little things like your family taking you out for a "Well done" dinner is fine and lovely but parents paying their kids a certain amount per A*... I think that's pretty depressing, to be honest. You should be encouraging your children to be self-motivated, not paying them for doing things they ought to be doing already.

Yep. I think its important for the kid to work FOR the a* not FOR the £200.
Reply 32
Original post by Jodie98
That sounds fair as your results were bloody amazing!! I like the fact they got you the doughnut and the meal as well as the money though

Yeah my grades were quite a way above average in the scheme of things but they were fairly average in comparison to lots of people on TSR!! 😊😂

And I know the balloon was my fave (bit odd I know) but they got me all of that because I over achieved in 7 subjects and got onto the HE+ course (it's a thing run by Cambridge) which was my goal

Are you at GCSE level atm or doing A-levels??
Reply 33
Original post by AfcFob
Yeah my grades were quite a way above average in the scheme of things but they were fairly average in comparison to lots of people on TSR!! 😊😂

And I know the balloon was my fave (bit odd I know) but they got me all of that because I over achieved in 7 subjects and got onto the HE+ course (it's a thing run by Cambridge) which was my goal

Are you at GCSE level atm or doing A-levels??

I felt the same, in my school and especially in my grop of friends I did well above average at GCSE then looking on here i wasn't so sure, haha! I'm doing my first year of A Levels rn!
Reply 34
Original post by Jodie98
I felt the same, in my school and especially in my grop of friends I did well above average at GCSE then looking on here i wasn't so sure, haha! I'm doing my first year of A Levels rn!

Same!
What AS are you doing?? I do Bio, Law, Maths and Psychology (unfortunately) and I can't wait to drop psychology because I hate it😢
I got some jewelry and a few cards. I certainly wouldn't expect anything for results but it was really lovely to get at the same time! I think anything would be well received, it's just nice to have an acknowledgement that people think you've worked hard!
Reply 36
Original post by AfcFob
Same!
What AS are you doing?? I do Bio, Law, Maths and Psychology (unfortunately) and I can't wait to drop psychology because I hate it😢

I do law aswell!! Also english lit/lang and sociology. I took psychology initially and couldn't stand it either haha! I dropped in within a few lessons and then one of the only classes with spaces left was sociology:s-smilie: It's easy but not that interesting. Are you doing AS or A2??
Reply 37
My gift on AS results day was my mum on the other end of the phone going "What? Are you lying?" "How did you pull that off?". Same for GCSEs.

Thanks mother.
Reply 38
Original post by Jodie98
I do law aswell!! Also english lit/lang and sociology. I took psychology initially and couldn't stand it either haha! I dropped in within a few lessons and then one of the only classes with spaces left was sociology:s-smilie: It's easy but not that interesting. Are you doing AS or A2??

AS thank god I think I would cry if I was doing the Psychology A2 😂
Reply 39
Original post by AfcFob
AS thank god I think I would cry if I was doing the Psychology A2 😂

Aw fair enough:biggrin: do you enjoy law though? I find it so good, mines WJEC though which most say is easy aha

Quick Reply