The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ishea16

but if santa claus is st Nicholas and you believe in santa then you'd have to believe in St Nicolas.. because they are the same person...

They're not the same person. One of them is dead. The other one is a fantasy, or a legend, based around the first one. Who's dead. Just because a fantasy is based around something in reality doesn't make them the same thing.

This is what I suspect has happened with religion. Real people existed, and real events happened that were impressive as far as mathematical coincidence goes. Then, because we didn't have any explanation for them at the time, we invented the fantasy of religion. Not to mention the control it gave us over other humans, but we won't go into that.

Religion and God are inventions of human beings. That's the ironic thing, at the end of the day. Religious people think that God created us. It's actually the other way around. Religion was created in a time where superstition ruled supreme. Before science started contradicting it.

Original post by Ishea16

that's a fact and you cant believe a fact because its just a fact...

Beg your pardon?
Original post by Ishea16
these words were invented for a reason because they dont mean the same thing

huh? you cant reject a fact, a fact is proven and is undeniably true

no theres nothing wrong for requiring facts
but what kind of facts are you even looking for?
do you want to see God, will a physical being make it evidence that God exist?

how can you look for something when you dont know what youre looking for?

You can choose to reject a fact, in your own head is what I mean; the religious do this all the time.

What evidence do I want specifically? Hmmm well that's a little like asking for a dish from a blank menu. So little has been offered up, its getting harder and harder to imagine where we might possibly find God if anywhere...

Go on, waiter, what would you suggest?
Original post by Ishea16
believe and you might find out:wink:

no its not only just acceptable for God
I'm sure you believe a lot of things that you have never seen with your eyes
or you believe other people e.g scientists

I was raised a Christian
Original post by Ishea16

do you want to see God, will a physical being make it evidence that God exist?

If there is a God, I'd be happy with seeing far less evidence of his pure neglect and shoddiness. Not to mention cruelty and narrow-mindedness.

And "evidence" would be something we can observe with our senses. As yet, there is none.

Also, if religion didn't contradict itself so much, that would be a start. Not to mention different religions contradicting each other.

God better face the fact that if he wants us to believe, then a little true evidence wouldn't go amiss. Something tangible. If faced with a massive contradiction, the human brain does tend towards disbelief logically.
Original post by frankieboy
They're not the same person. One of them is dead. The other one is a fantasy, or a legend, based around the first one. Who's dead. Just because a fantasy is based around something in reality doesn't make them the same thing.

This is what I suspect has happened with religion. Real people existed, and real events happened that were impressive as far as mathematical coincidence goes. Then, because we didn't have any explanation for them at the time, we invented the fantasy of religion. Not to mention the control it gave us over other humans, but we won't go into that.

Religion and God are inventions of human beings. That's the ironic thing, at the end of the day. Religious people think that God created us. It's actually the other way around. Religion was created in a time where superstition ruled supreme. Before science started contradicting it.

Beg your pardon?

what i mean is that a fact is undeniably true so whats there not to believe?

fantasy? you just answered your own question, i thought you believed in santa??

but how can the idea of God just come to someones mind?
youre saying that because there was no explanation for things and that created the idea of God?
that doesnt make any sense

and science doesn't contradict religion
it supports religion
Original post by leavingthecity
I was raised a Christian

soo..
doesnt mean that you ever believed
Original post by Ishea16
what i mean is that a fact is undeniably true so whats there not to believe?

I see what you mean with this one. Your context confused me a bit.

Original post by Ishea16
fantasy? you just answered your own question, i thought you believed in santa??

I was asking you really what you would think if I claimed to believe in Santa. Of course I don't believe in Santa.

Original post by Ishea16
but how can the idea of God just come to someones mind?
youre saying that because there was no explanation for things and that created the idea of God?
that doesnt make any sense

It's called imagination. Something that humans have in abundance. Like how I just imagined a flying purple cookie monster watching over all of us. It was pretty easy. A pink elephant that's 50 feet high? I just imagined it.

Original post by Ishea16
and science doesn't contradict religion
it supports religion

Erm... I think you'll find mostly it doesn't.
Reply 627
My word is my bond :wink:

The world is your lobster Terry.
Just a side note - I think there's a lot of people who would like to believe in God. However, rather than there not being any evidence of God, it goes even further. To a lot of people there is pronounced evidence that there isn't a God, or if there is one, he must be a bastard.

So to my mind - I don't believe in God. And if you proved to me there was a God, chances are I would not want anything to do with him. Either way, there's no room for such a concept in my life.

I'd go as far as to say I think God is downright evil, selfish, immature, and insecure if he exists. I am not impressed by his apparent creationsim on this planet, least of all the human race. And a few rainbows, blue skies and butterflies don't even begin to make up for that.
Actually, Thor's pretty cool. I choose to believe in him.
Original post by Howard
The world is your lobster Terry.

I always thought Dave who ran the gentlemen's club was funny as well.

"Sorry, I ain't seen him Arthur". With his Majorca tan, shirts, 70's wallpaper and gin and tonics.

Great actors.

Having said that, I think the lobster thing may be Del Boy, not Arthur. Perhaps Arthur said it as well? No matter. I'm just being pedantic.
Original post by Ishea16
soo..
doesnt mean that you ever believed

Wait don't tell me, and those seeds of doubt....they were in fact PUT THERE BY THE DEVIL

I was asking you really what you would think if I claimed to believe in Santa. Of course I don't believe in Santa.

It's called imagination. Something that humans have in abundance. Like how I just imagined a flying purple cookie monster watching over all of us. It was pretty easy. A pink elephant that's 50 feet high? I just imagined it.

imagination is inspired by something
you can imagine flying purple cookie monster(:biggrin: lol your imagination is pretty good) because you have seen birds fly so you know thats possible
youve seen the colour purple and probs cookie monster somewhere, lol
so you can imagine what you can see and feel
Reply 633
Yes, people often use this as evidence of the Quran being a truly holy book...

So you're telling me that if if repeat all that I have said and make it rhyme, there's a chance of you taking this science stuff seriously?

What?
Just a side note - I think there's a lot of people who would like to believe in God. However, rather than there not being any evidence of God, it goes even further. To a lot of people there is pronounced evidence that there isn't a God, or if there is one, he must be a bastard.

So to my mind - I don't believe in God. And if you proved to me there was a God, chances are I would not want anything to do with him. Either way, there's no room for such a concept in my life.

I'd go as far as to say I think God is downright evil, selfish, immature, and insecure if he exists. I am not impressed by his apparent creationsim on this planet, least of all the human race. And a few rainbows, blue skies and butterflies don't even begin to make up for that.

PRSOM or whatever it is
Wait don't tell me, and those seeds of doubt....they were in fact PUT THERE BY THE DEVIL

huh?
if your assumptions were even a bit less.. erm .. strange then it would make sense
dont let this thread get to your head
believe what you want lol
i take no responsibility of youre condition:h:
Reply 636
Original post by Howard
Because he's very busy today.

i'll spin his jaw
BTW - I wouldn't want to take anyone's belief away from them. It's the smokescreen illogical arguments for believing I find rather offensive.

If you "believe" (whatever that means) then go ahead. Just don't be surprised when others don't follow suit.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't think there is any convincing scientific evidence for God's existence, otherwise it would be all over the news.

What about Lucifer inventing the Big Bang Theory :rofl2:

How come with the idea of entropy - Earth became so organised as such.

Is it regarding closed system argument :P
Original post by mangala
yeah but "experiences" have no scientific merit or way of proving their validity. i've prayed and nothing has happened, if god wanted me to believe in him why isn't he showing me he exists?

God doesn't work like that. + belief is a gift, which you might get or you need to seek

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending