The Student Room Group

When do you think the downfall of music started?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thread reminds me of those kids you always find in the YouTube comments section on any relatively old music.

"I'm only 4 months old but I love listening to..."

*squints at smudged ink on hand*

"Freddo Mercura."

"My generation sucks."
Original post by homeland.lsw
Good point actually! But the ratio of good music to bad music now and good music to bad music then seems crazy different

You probably just don't like pop music. There is plenty of good music outside that genre nowadays.
Original post by elen90
Thread reminds me of those kids you always find in the YouTube comments section on any relatively old music.

"I'm only 4 months old but I love listening to..."

*squints at smudged ink on hand*

"Freddo Mercura."

"My generation sucks."

:rofl:
I don't want to sound like that lol...I'm sorry I'm really not trying to sound like I have my head up my arse XD
Original post by StrangeBanana
You probably just don't like pop music. There is plenty of good music outside that genre nowadays.

Like what...? I can handle remixed pop music and some songs by Coldplay (I like their new album) but what else?
There are terrible songs with every decade. You just never hear them any more because they haven't lasted the 'test of time.'
Like what...? I can handle remixed pop music and some songs by Coldplay (I like their new album) but what else?

Someone New, by Hozier (for instance)
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
There are terrible songs with every decade. You just never hear them any more because they haven't lasted the 'test of time.'

Very true...but a lot of people are like there used to be Queen, Abba, The Beatles etc and now we have Fetty Wap and Iggy Azalea...
Reply 47
:rofl:
I don't want to sound like that lol...I'm sorry I'm really not trying to sound like I have my head up my arse XD

Worry not, you're better than those kids. Just discussions about how music is now terrible remind me of that :wink:

I mean, to an extent I agree that many of the songs that you'll find on the charts today are less than decent. Perhaps that's just personal taste.

Then again, the seventies were supposed to be a golden age of music but the You Light Up My Life cover by Debby Boone was #1 on the charts for ten weeks.
Roughly 1993.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Someone New, by Hozier (for instance)

Will look that up ^_^
Reply 50
@homeland.lsw that's your opinion OP. What time period of music are you exactly referring to as the better kind?

And there's no difference in 2012 and prior music??? O_o

The simple answer maybe you hate black music. Never before like now have black people been so dominant in music. That comes with industry change and cultural diffusion, the globalisation of hip hop and white Pop music implementing urban sounds in their songs.

Like Taylor Swift doing Shake It Off, Natasha Bedingfield being all soulful. Adele as well, Lily Allen doing reggae songs and collabing with black rappers, white people rapping, Asians rapping, Jay Sean incorporating R&B into Indian music, jazz and rock and reggae being kin, people looking up to Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston being one of the top selling artists in the world, all of this has tied into modern music and the modern sound.

I personally think the industry and mass appeal has changed since around 2006. Not for the worst, just changed.

Like pop punk. What happened to all those bands? Yellowcard, Taking Back Sunday, ****ing Fallout Boy, Gym Class Heroes, even Avril Lavigne has changed up, Blink 182, Switchfoot, Story of the Year, LostProphets, MCR, (well Panic! is back), I mean that whole 2005 and earlier; Papa Roach, 3 Days Grace, whoever you wanna name; Linkin Park. Evanescence even. So many more. They faded out. Nickleback lol all them. So maybe they broke up for whatever reason but you still just don't hear music like this on the mainstream anymore. Paramore then came out after this effect and that's why everyone jumped on them, they were the remaining rock sound and look. But even she went and did a collab with B.O.B. with "Airplanes."

It's because of Kanye West, Soulja Boy, T.I., 50 Cent, Eminem, Beyonce going solo, Britney Spears falling apart, all around the 2004-2005 area these artists came out. Then Chris Brown and Lil Wayne. Rock got ignored. So now the face of music is hip hop and hip-hop-ish Pop like Iggy and Ariana Grande, Taylor playing around, new rappers coming out like moles, Katy Perry's antics, Lady Gaga first had a hip hop sound and did rap duets if you know about that, they're all reflections of this new change in the industry. Rap has taken over oh well.
Very true...but a lot of people are like there used to be Queen, Abba, The Beatles etc and now we have Fetty Wap and Iggy Azalea...

I agree- perhaps the standards or general tastes have changed in some way? It makes me wonder whether there is a natural 'evolutionary' path which music inevitably takes itself on, depending upon social or political changes, or whether there is no discernible path. Imagine for example, if Queen had just started out now- would they be as influential and popular as they were when they did 20-30 years ago? Either way I can see where you're coming from!
I mean you can't blame it all on one artist but definitely the genre of music that Nicki Minaj plays a role in has deteriorated...

Haha yeah I was half-joking, but it is around her rise when music became a lot worse and pop evolved into this horrible blend of pop and awful rap. So definitely in the past few years it has got a lot worse and has now become more about just singing about sex/violence etc. than trying.
Original post by malware
x

First that was beautiful to read ^_^
I'd like to think I am not racist towards rap...some rap I like. You mentioned BOB and Haley Williams "Airplanes". I actually really liked that song...maybe because the rap wasn't all about ****ing a bitch at the club with a big ass etc etc.
Lol Avril Lavigne is trying to stay relevant I occasionally listen to her new stuff (some of which isn't half bad!)
But yeah I guess rap plays a part in it but not so much...I dunno I need to mull your comment over lol...
Reply 54
Basically it all sounds the same to me...sex and drugs...songs about love...songs about female empowerment...constant major keys being used..

So stop listening to those songs and listen to other ones. It has never been easier to go out (or stay in) and find new music of all kinds.

At what glorious point in the history of music were popular artists not singing about sex and drugs?
Reply 55
First that was beautiful to read ^_^
I'd like to think I am not racist towards rap...some rap I like. You mentioned BOB and Haley Williams "Airplanes". I actually really liked that song...maybe because the rap wasn't all about ****ing a bitch at the club with a big ass etc etc.
Lol Avril Lavigne is trying to stay relevant I occasionally listen to her new stuff (some of which isn't half bad!)
But yeah I guess rap plays a part in it but not so much...I dunno I need to mull your comment over lol...

lol thanks! I haven't listened so closely to music anymore because I am quite nostalgic with the music I grew up listening to (1/2 the people I mentioned who are gone I still listen to almost religiously; 1/2 the people I mentioned have changed music I listen to only when exposed to it), and when it is new music I listen to, it's some indie or electronica. But I acquired this taste in music when I realised what was happening to mainstream music.
Original post by offhegoes
So stop listening to those songs and listen to other ones. It has never been easier to go out (or stay in) and find new music of all kinds.

At what glorious point in the history of music were popular artists not singing about sex and drugs?

In the past sex was more disguised, unlike today when it is all in your face...just to be edgy...
Also don't you think I do try and find music I like...I don't sit around moaning all day lol
Reply 57
Original post by malware
@homeland.lsw that's your opinion OP. What time period of music are you exactly referring to as the better kind?

And there's no difference in 2012 and prior music??? O_o

The simple answer maybe you hate black music. Never before like now have black people been so dominant in music. That comes with industry change and cultural diffusion, the globalisation of hip hop and white Pop music implementing urban sounds in their songs.

Like Taylor Swift doing Shake It Off, Natasha Bedingfield being all soulful. Adele as well, Lily Allen doing reggae songs and collabing with black rappers, white people rapping, Asians rapping, Jay Sean incorporating R&B into Indian music, jazz and rock and reggae being kin, people looking up to Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston being one of the top selling artists in the world, all of this has tied into modern music and the modern sound.

I personally think the industry and mass appeal has changed since around 2006. Not for the worst, just changed.

Like pop punk. What happened to all those bands? Yellowcard, Taking Back Sunday, ****ing Fallout Boy, Gym Class Heroes, even Avril Lavigne has changed up, Blink 182, Switchfoot, Story of the Year, LostProphets, MCR, (well Panic! is back), I mean that whole 2005 and earlier; Papa Roach, 3 Days Grace, whoever you wanna name; Linkin Park. Evanescence even. So many more. They faded out. Nickleback lol all them. So maybe they broke up for whatever reason but you still just don't hear music like this on the mainstream anymore. Paramore then came out after this effect and that's why everyone jumped on them, they were the remaining rock sound and look. But even she went and did a collab with B.O.B. with "Airplanes."

It's because of Kanye West, Soulja Boy, T.I., 50 Cent, Eminem, Beyonce going solo, Britney Spears falling apart, all around the 2004-2005 area these artists came out. Then Chris Brown and Lil Wayne. Rock got ignored. So now the face of music is hip hop and hip-hop-ish Pop like Iggy and Ariana Grande, Taylor playing around, new rappers coming out like moles, Katy Perry's antics, Lady Gaga first had a hip hop sound and did rap duets if you know about that, they're all reflections of this new change in the industry. Rap has taken over oh well.

Totally agree with everything you have said except the small typo... It's Fall Out Boy and they do still exist (I saw them in October!💙) they just unfortunately don't take the charts by storm like they used to (that has been taken over by crappy music like 1D, JB, T Swift etc WHICH I CANNOT STAND)
Because my generation had taste and yours doesn't.
Reply 59
@homeland.lsw you know what it also was? Why I mentioned Kanye and Soulja Boy anyway: around 2007 Soulja Boy came out with "Supaman." Hip hop dance crazes

took over 2006 and 2007. "Lean Wit It Rock Wit It" was the most popular song, and then "Laffy Taffy." The beginning of a new era in music started with hip hop, I swear. So now everyone does it or adds a like sound in their non-hip hop music. Even country artists are doing this! lol and then social media I mean who uses that stuff religiously? These hip hop artists, no? And the Pop artists who use hip hop in their music. Smh.

Original post by AfcFob
Totally agree with everything you have said except the small typo... It's Fall Out Boy and they do still exist (I saw them in October!💙) they just unfortunately don't take the charts by storm like they used to (that has been taken over by crappy music like 1D, JB, T Swift etc WHICH I CANNOT STAND)

Lol and 1d and JB do what? Mimic black music. I mean good for black people but it's become a mass production of crap for quick fame and cash. The industry has changed.

Quick Reply

Latest