The Student Room Group

When do you think the downfall of music started?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Went downhill in the noughties imo
Reply 61
Original post by homeland.lsw
In the past sex was more disguised, unlike today when it is all in your face...just to be edgy...

Led Zep and AC/DC were all about the subtlety...

Also don't you think I do try and find music I like...I don't sit around moaning all day lol

So what's the issue? In the late 90s I used to stay up on Tuesdays night / Wednesday morning to listen to the 2 hour alternative playlists on Radio 1 from midnight to 2am. Now I can find new band I like online within half an hour. There is so much good music out there that I don't have enough time in the day to listen to it all.

I used to have a compilation cassette tape I listened to over and over that I copied from my friend's sister. The local library unexpectedly had some Smashing Pumpkins CD's that could be borrowed for £1.50 a week that I would copy.

It's so much easier now!
Come on it's not as bad as it was in the nineties. FYI psy gangnam style (2012) and wheatus a decade before, were actually great little riffs!
Reply 63
Original post by malware
@homeland.lsw you know what it also was? Why I mentioned Kanye and Soulja Boy anyway: around 2007 Soulja Boy came out with "Supaman." Hip hop dance crazes

took over 2006 and 2007. "Lean Wit It Rock Wit It" was the most popular song, and then "Laffy Taffy." The beginning of a new era in music started with hip hop, I swear. So now everyone does it or adds a like sound in their non-hip hop music. Even country artists are doing this! lol and then social media I mean who uses that stuff religiously? These hip hop artists, no? And the Pop artists who use hip hop in their music. Smh.

Lol and 1d and JB do what? Mimic black music. I mean good for black people but it's become a mass production of crap for quick fame and cash. The industry has changed.

Yup agree with what you said about 1D and JB the problem is there is no originality anymore and I think that is why music has (in my opinion) been on the decline in recent years
Reply 64
With the death of Ian Curtis.
Original post by john2054
Come on it's not as bad as it was in the nineties. FYI psy gangnam style (2012) and wheatus a decade before, were actually great little riffs!

Catchy doesn't necessarily mean good...I say as I hum gangnam style...
I just think music has lost its value...?
Reply 66
Original post by AfcFob
Yup agree with what you said about 1D and JB the problem is there is no originality anymore and I think that is why music has (in my opinion) been on the decline in recent years

Well what would be the incline? Hip hop has the same qualities, but pop doesn't, and rock generally has taken a back seat sale-wise. This is just the era of fast cash really. Not the actual craft of making music. I have faith in EDM because it's very DIY, like do-it-yourself, independent, innovative. Yes you hit it with no originality, I've been thinking someone needs to come out and make music that they just want to make and not because it'll be popular.
Reply 67
Started in the 80s when the content of lyrics started to decend into sexualised crap, and it slowly got worse and worse until we reached the filth we have had for the last 10 years. There are many songs today, but little music.
Reply 68
Original post by john2054

the 90s=bad?!
Mate...mate...please...please explain...

the 90s is a huge icon for today's music.
Reply 69
Original post by Ghazali
Started in the 80s when the content of lyrics started to decend into sexualised crap, and it slowly got worse and worse until we reached the filth we have had for the last 10 years. There are many songs today, but little music.

the 80s had awesome music. The sexualised crap would be rap. The 80s was the dawn of punk and many classic legendary artists.

Maybe we need to stop criticising popular music, because they will do what they have to do to sell.
If you look at each individual genre, the music isn't lacking. Ignore Pop. Those artists aren't human. They're bots.
Most music in the charts has been crap since the early 00s, but in the last few years there's a lot of good house music in the charts.
Reply 71
Original post by AfcFob
Totally agree with everything you have said except the small typo... It's Fall Out Boy and they do still exist (I saw them in October!💙) they just unfortunately don't take the charts by storm like they used to (that has been taken over by crappy music like 1D, JB, T Swift etc WHICH I CANNOT STAND)

To be fair when I first heard Fall Out Boy I felt pop-punk's glory days had passed and all that was left was a bunch of mainstream sellouts.

When really in retrospect the scene as I knew it had just passed slightly from the public eye.
Reply 73
Original post by offhegoes
To be fair when I first heard Fall Out Boy I felt pop-punk's glory days had passed and all that was left was a bunch of mainstream sellouts.

When really in retrospect the scene as I knew it had just passed slightly from the public eye.

Fall Out Boy are just your bottom basic radio-"rock" sellout band. Used to listen them in year 6 when they made decent music. Their new stuff is horrendous imo.

To answer the OPs question, it depends on the genre. The majority of pop music is utter rubbish (there are some talented people) but in terms of talent its easy to see that the standards died a long time ago.

Rock and metal are still going strong with loads of the solid bands still releasing good music, and many relatively new bands are appearing and making some solid music.

Yes i am a metal fan, but my views are not biased based on that view. Pop has dropped off so much in recent years (e,g. we had Michael Jackson, now we have Justin Bieber). But the rock/metal genre still has huge amounts of talent both old and new. And when some bands try to "sell-out" and become radio friendly they get a backlash of reaction from fans, which is always great.

I dont know much else about other genres to be able to comment on them.
Reply 74
Original post by LotusTK
Fall Out Boy are just your bottom basic radio-"rock" sellout band. Used to listen them in year 6 when they made decent music. Their new stuff is horrendous imo.

Never really enjoyed their stuff, always felt a little too self-aware.
Reply 75
Never really enjoyed their stuff, always felt a little too self-aware.

Yep. I just remember listening to them a fair bit in year 6, but then i found Linkin Park who are far better LOL. (they too turned soft and rubbish though)
Reply 76
Led Zep and AC/DC were all about the subtlety...

So what's the issue? In the late 90s I used to stay up on Tuesdays night / Wednesday morning to listen to the 2 hour alternative playlists on Radio 1 from midnight to 2am. Now I can find new band I like online within half an hour. There is so much good music out there that I don't have enough time in the day to listen to it all.

I used to have a compilation cassette tape I listened to over and over that I copied from my friend's sister. The local library unexpectedly had some Smashing Pumpkins CD's that could be borrowed for £1.50 a week that I would copy.

It's so much easier now!

You're discussing the easier accessibility of music. OP is concerned about the quality....

and yes it easier to get music. So it's easier to push the crap out and sell higher, right.
I also think the increased exponential computing power in recent years has played a part. It allows us to do things we never used to be able to do. This has resulted in very manufactured sounding results.

Not always though, I mean we have underground techno and stuff.

Ah - also I think the way people have bought into the mobile phone culture. Music is now made to sound good over your phone speaker. Hard limiting, suffocating compression and lack of nuance are the name of the game.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think that "downfall" has happened.

It's just that the bad stuff tends to be forgotten. There was a lot of rubbish around in the 70s, 80s and 90s etc in the charts alongside all the classics, but we only remember the classics that remain popular years later - we don't remember the terrible ones, or if we do then we remember it as being terrible or a joke.

Time filters out most of the rubbish, and it will do the same with current music. There is some good music out there today that will stand the test of time.
Well i prefer current stuff to the noughties rubbish.
Ok, the 70s, 80 and 90s were dominated by certain genres of music but i think 'house' (an umbrella term':wink: is v good. Very subjective though...

Deep house, progressive, techno (not a fan), tech house, future house, hardstyle, hardcore etc. Some of that i dislike but other songs are phenomenal. The music of people on drugs critics would say but you'd be kidding yourself if the music of the 60s, 70, 80s etc wasn't heavily influenced by drugs and sex.

We may not have 2 pac etc etc but some rap is still good. I love Wiz Khalifa but other rappers such as G-Easy and TY Dolla $ign are enjoyable.
The flow and beat of music currently is the best it has ever been (helped by technology) but perhaps there are less 'songs' with meaning behind them than there once was... (Overall)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest