The Student Room Group

Can you still get an A* if you got a B in the coursework?

Say the coursework was 25% of the final grade and you got a high B, what would be the chances of getting an A* overall, is it possible?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Would be helpful if you could provide a specific percentage of your B
I mean it depends if it is a high or low B, If you do really well in your exam then i guess you can. Is this for english literature?
Actually scrap what I asked. Yes it's obviously still technically possible to get an A* (I assume A* is 80% here?) because if you were to get 100% in the rest of your exams that would be 75% right there. And obv the B would be > the 5% needed because that 5/25 would only be 20%.

tl;dr yes
Original post by Student403
Actually scrap what I asked. Yes it's obviously still technically possible to get an A* (I assume A* is 80% here?) because if you were to get 100% in the rest of your exams that would be 75% right there. And obv the B would be > the 5% needed because that 5/25 would only be 20%.

tl;dr yes

I got an A* in my ISA.48-47/50.What shall i get(AQA) on each three paper(minimum) to get a overall A
Original post by Blancosdos
I got an A* in my ISA.48-47/50.What shall i get(AQA) on each three paper(minimum) to get a overall A

I'd need a lot more context :s-smilie: Sorry

Could you tell me how much each paper is out of? Preferably presented neatly cause I'm bad at interpreting :biggrin:
Reply 6

75+ on each paper.

Ideally 80 though.
I'd need a lot more context :s-smilie: Sorry

Could you tell me how much each paper is out of? Preferably presented neatly cause I'm bad at interpreting :biggrin:

Biology/60
Chem/60
Physics/60
ISA /50(achieved 47-48)
Biology/60
Chem/60
Physics/60
ISA /50(achieved 47-48)

Okay cool - is that in UMS?
Okay cool - is that in UMS?

Max mark out of each paper
UMS out of 400(combined alltogether)
Max mark out of each paper
UMS out of 400(combined alltogether)

Sorry for all the questions - How much is the weighting on each one though? Is it 100 100 100 100? Do you know how much UMS 48/50 would be?
Sorry for all the questions - How much is the weighting on each one though? Is it 100 100 100 100? Do you know how much UMS 48/50 would be?

100 each
according to AQA.
48=100UMS
47=98UMS
(edited 8 years ago)
100 each
I assume 94UMS 48
93 47

Alright sweet. Well for an A you need 280UMS

Since you already have ~90 of that, you need now 190/300 to get an A (although you should really go for the A*!).

That would be an avg of 63.3 UMS per paper.

If you go for the A* (please do!) you'd need 230/300 UMS, or about 76.6 UMS per paper
Alright sweet. Well for an A you need 280UMS

Since you already have ~90 of that, you need now 190/300 to get an A (although you should really go for the A*!).

That would be an avg of 63.3 UMS per paper.

If you go for the A* (please do!) you'd need 230/300 UMS, or about 76.6 UMS per paper

Last year i scraped a C on science due to my ISA(D grade,55UMS).So i'm not as confident.
Btw i'm sure UMS is 280 for B?And 320 for A?
Last year i scraped a C on science due to my ISA(D grade,55UMS).So i'm not as confident.
Btw i'm sure UMS is 280 for B?And 320 for A?

Wait is it 80% or 90% for an A? Is this A level or GCSE?
Gcse
Original post by student403
wait is it 80% or 90% for an a? Is this a level or gcse?

90%
Gcse

90%

Whoa.. Back when I did GCSE it was just ~80% for an A* :s-smilie: I suggest you not take my advice and ask someone more knowledgeable :laugh: Sorry for wasting your time :frown:

@Gingerbread101 should be able to help :colondollar:

ISAs are moderated so you don't know you've got an A*.
Whoa.. Back when I did GCSE it was just ~80% for an A* :s-smilie: I suggest you not take my advice and ask someone more knowledgeable :laugh: Sorry for wasting your time :frown:

@Gingerbread101 should be able to help :colondollar:

Thanks for helping me anyways
Hopefully @Gingerbread101 helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
ISAs are moderated so you don't know you've got an A*.

Well it's assuming we did.

Quick Reply

Latest