The Student Room Group

What is your desired career and why? Plans to get there? Pay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by princepieman
hk 100%. The food was amazing. You could have a traditional dim sum dinner somewhere one day and then a nice italian the next. Location is solid too; 30 mins to either the beach or the mountains. Being super central to other asian countries, travelling on weekend trips was never an issue (i.e. To japan, to bangkok, to singapore etc).

It's actually a pretty solid deal if you stick to the compounded areas. Feels almost like you're in a typical american suburb with rolling hills, ponds, ducks and palm trees. And of course, no tax.

posted from tsr mobile

theres no tax in hk?

I must learn mandarin yo
Original post by TrojanH
theres no tax in hk?

I must learn mandarin yo

Mandarin isn't spoken in HK. They speak Cantonese (and English).
Original post by TrojanH
theres no tax in hk?

I must learn mandarin yo

I think they speak Cantonese
Original post by TrojanH
theres no tax in hk?

I must learn mandarin yo

Was talking about Saudi in the second paragraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
I think they speak Cantonese

Original post by Snufkin
Mandarin isn't spoken in HK. They speak Cantonese (and English).

Correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Google
you may see more Mandarin speaking people than Cantonese, even in Canton(Guangzhou or Hong Kong).

won't stop me now

I'm guessing most UAE salaries are a lot lower than everywhere else due to lack of taxation?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
won't stop me now

I'm guessing most UAE salaries are a lot lower than everywhere else due to lack of taxation?

Not from what I've seen, no. Salaries are pretty consistent and you'd normally have a housing and car allowance too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Not from what I've seen, no. Salaries are pretty consistent and you'd normally have a housing and car allowance too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even in the Tech industry, or just O&G + IB? That's crazy bro, why aren't more people loving the UAE?
Original post by TrojanH
Even in the Tech industry, or just O&G + IB? That's crazy bro, why aren't more people loving the UAE?

Not everyone will get hired or is interested in moving away from the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Software Developer. Maths Teacher. Actuary.

Three possibilities. I want to do a joint hons Maths and Comp Sci degree.
All pay (relatively) well. 25k bursary to do a PGCE isn't too shabby IMO.
Software Developers usually start on 25k also, and I find programming very intersting although it wouldn't be as rewarding as teaching.
Actuaries start on around 30k and are better paid than the above two options, however I want to do an internship to see if the work is for me. I couldn't stand doing boring shizzle with my life even if the pay is great.

Also I would like to found a tech start-up if I do go into Software Engineering after 5-6 years. Or even become a partner of one. It's exciting! :P
Original post by Muffer
Why do you assume all relationships are going to be meaningless and offer no tangible benefit? When did other humans become utilities to you whose worth is based on what they can provide you? If you're not interested in other people, this makes sense, because you have to like people and want to understand them to get the enormously satisfying, rich and lifelong benefits of getting to know some of the prize ones. There is literally no better feeling, and all the happiest people realise this. All the saddest people realise this too, usually two days to an hour before they die.

touching, but it's an inefficient procedure to develop relationships which have little to no likelihood of yielding monetary benefits, given that's the measure of success i employ for assuming my utility. to optimise that function in its entirery would require complete devotion to making financial gains regardless of how incremental they might seem. i understand people think differently, and that's great. whilst i understand and respect your opinion, people like me are just on our grind.
1. What career (or careers) are you hoping to get into out of uni?
Organisational/Industrial Psychologist, Marketing Director, Advertising/Marketing

2. How will you get there?
Placements, Internships, Summer Schools, Volunteering, Part time jobs

3. What is the pay progression? (grad, mid-career, peak)
Organisation/Industrial Psychology - £18,000 - £106,000
Marketing Director - £39,000 - £115,000
Advertising/Marketing - Depends on role

4. Why did you choose this (or these) career(s)?
I want to improve the well-being of individuals in someway, whether it be physically through counselling/medical treatment or through business whereby I'm helping the working environment, I feel that these careers will be able to achieve this.
What career (or careers) are you hoping to get into out of uni?
Investment Banking (M&A/TMT coverage)
or
Strategy Consulting
or
Corporate Law

How will you get there?

IB: Going to a target uni. Continue to build out my CV. Apply for spring weeks (covert those to internships, then that to grad). Alternatively, just apply for internships/grad. Continue networking with IBers.

Strategy Consulting: Gain leadership skills, practice case interviews, gain solid non-consulting internships. Try my hand at applying for internships but most probably attempt applying for grad positions

Corp. Law: I have a deferred fast track to a first year vac scheme at a magic circle firm. If I enjoy it and decide on the career, I'll try to convert that to a normal vac scheme with the view of converting that to a training contract

What is the pay progression? (grad, mid-career, peak)
IB: (grad: £70-80k all-in, mid-career: mid six figures, peak: high six figures to low 7 figures)

Strategy Consulting: (grad: £40-50k all-in, mid-career: low-mid six figures, peak: mid six figures to seven figures)

Corp. Law: (grad: £38-50k, mid-career: £90-150k+, peak: mid six figures to 7 figures as a partner or low six figures in-house)

Why did you choose this (or these) career(s)?

IB: Doing large scale deals, learning the ins and outs of companies, growing a solid network, the opportunity to move into better paying fields (PE, HF, VC) or more chilled lifestyle focused jobs (Corporate Development/Strategy). You get rewarded for being smart and driven.

Strat. Consulting: Tonnes of problem solving involved. Develop the skillset of breaking down problems into chunks, gathering data, then analysing said data to reach a given conclusion. Work with high level executives of large scale organisations. Lots of travel.

Corp. Law: Intellectually stimulating. Work on the same high level deals as banking but delve more into the legalese of said deals. Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills. Generally pretty interesting, high pressured work

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by gr8wizard10
touching, but it's an inefficient procedure to develop relationships which have little to no likelihood of yielding monetary benefits, given that's the measure of success i employ for assuming my utility. to optimise that function in its entirery would require complete devotion to making financial gains regardless of how incremental they might seem. i understand people think differently, and that's great. whilst i understand and respect your opinion, people like me are just on our grind.

It's assumed that everyone who criticises another person's life choices respects them at the same time, not including trolls who are not people anyway. And there is something admirable in focusing all of your energy, emotional and physical, into one goal, in a sociopathic kinda way. But you do know that every single writer, artist, poet, philosopher, literally anyone who tries to understand the human condition, with some exceptions, literally commands you to live a balanced, humane and warm blooded life, and that learning how to love and be loved is practically the only thing that matters? It's obvious that i'm the sort of person who would wither in an investment banking environment and you would probably thrive, Wolf of Wall Street style without the drugs and prostitutes, but you have to know you're going against the grain of everything that is considered human? Are you that unique? Would you at least consider doing this for a while, making a decent to insane amount of money and then travelling the world and discovering yourself and falling in love I MEAN.

Lol money does not provide nearly as much happiness as a happy long lasting relationship and a family life. But feel free to live your life your own way
Original post by Muffer
It's assumed that everyone who criticises another person's life choices respects them at the same time, not including trolls who are not people anyway. And there is something admirable in focusing all of your energy, emotional and physical, into one goal, in a sociopathic kinda way. But you do know that every single writer, artist, poet, philosopher, literally anyone who tries to understand the human condition, with some exceptions, literally commands you to live a balanced, humane and warm blooded life, and that learning how to love and be loved is practically the only thing that matters? It's obvious that i'm the sort of person who would wither in an investment banking environment and you would probably thrive, Wolf of Wall Street style without the drugs and prostitutes, but you have to know you're going against the grain of everything that is considered human? Are you that unique? Would you at least consider doing this for a while, making a decent to insane amount of money and then travelling the world and discovering yourself and falling in love I MEAN.

i'm faffing about, i have a girlfriend and live quite a happy social life. appreciate the concern :smile:

that being said, i despise travelling with all my bodily emotion.
Original post by Trapz99
Lol money does not provide nearly as much happiness as a happy long lasting relationship and a family life. But feel free to live your life your own way

True true, but cant hurt to have it all

you talk so much gas sometimes, apply for prime minister son
i'm faffing about, i have a girlfriend and live quite a happy social life. appreciate the concern :smile:

that being said, i despise travelling with all my bodily emotion.

:O what
Original post by Princepieman
Right, so we've had tonnes of these types of threads on TSR before but none of them have been structured well enough or have been overtly vague about 'expectations'. I want to get a thread going about your career aspirations, and subsequently the level of compensation it pays as well as motives for choosing the career path(s) you have gone for.

1. What career (or careers) are you hoping to get into out of uni?
2. How will you get there?
3. What is the pay progression? (grad, mid-career, peak)
4. Why did you choose this (or these) career(s)

These threads have a tendency to attract self-righteous 'nay sayers' and those who repeatedly say: 'you're in for a shock once you hit the real world'. Please, please, please, don't do that on this thread. Just answer the questions and/or engage in discussion.

1. Solicitor
2. Undergrad- self-funded LPC + paralegal work- Hopefully TC- YAY!
3. Probably will live with my parents till my very death, since legal aid is being bent over by everyone who wishes to do so.
4. That's a little bit personal. But, out of non-personal reasons, I think playing a very important role in people's lives seems to be rewarding as it is, even though pay is pretty depressing.

Quick Reply