The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Yeps, it's very nice. If you want - you should look up recurrence relations, they follow much the same rules as differential equations - you might like the second order αan+2+βan+1+γan=k\alpha a_{n+2} + \beta a_{n+1} + \gamma a_{n} = k recurrence relation, you do the whole thing with guessing a solution, basically the discrete version of a differential equation. :biggrin:

Ah, fair enough - I get you. Blogspot sounds good, I guess, so does a new account (as long as you PM us and tell us which one it is. :tongue: ). :lol:

That sounds wicked! I'll look that up as soon as we finish this chapter :nutcase:

I think the new account thing would kinda be a flop - There aren't exactly many prospective aerospace engineers going to the USA for uni on here in year 13 who live in qatar :rofl: Pretty sure people would find me XD

I'll give it a little more time to think about. Meanwhile I'm looking at prospective blog sites.. Any suggestions other than Google's Blogger?
Original post by DylanJ42
I done this paper today, got fknnnn 68/75 :angry:, lost 6 marks on Q5, messed it up hard (<-- this can be angry elephant stomp)

Spoiler

that's good - you're on 90+ UMS in late-Feb and FP2 is like 3 months away. Q5 wasn't particularly difficult though, how'd you trip up?

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
Ah, yes... I kept doing acosθ=xxa\displaystyle \frac{a}{\cos \theta} = x \Rightarrow |x| \leq a instead, because I'm dumb, cos\cos is in the denominator, urgh!

it felt very unnatural to write the loci as a line, idk, i was definitely expecting the intersection of two tangents to make some sort of curve :dontknow:
Reply 683
Original post by Student403

I'll give it a little more time to think about. Meanwhile I'm looking at prospective blog sites.. Any suggestions other than Google's Blogger?

Free of paid?
Original post by Zacken
Free of paid?

No method of online payment so it'll have to be free :redface:
Reply 685
No method of online payment so it'll have to be free :redface:

Blogger is pretty good as you've said, wordpress maybe? Tumblr but you're not a white girl, so maybe not... Probably go with Blogger. :redface:
Original post by Zacken
Blogger is pretty good as you've said, wordpress maybe? Tumblr but you're not a white girl, so maybe not... Probably go with Blogger. :redface:

Which was the one your Skyrim blog was on, again? Would you recommend it? :smile:
it felt very unnatural to write the loci as a line, idk, i was definitely expecting the intersection of two tangents to make some sort of curve :dontknow:

Original post by Zacken
Ah, yes... I kept doing acosθ=xxa\displaystyle \frac{a}{\cos \theta} = x \Rightarrow |x| \leq a instead, because I'm dumb, cos\cos is in the denominator, urgh!

Do you two always draw a diagram for these questions, or do you draw one when you can't visualise it properly?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
that's good - you're on 90+ UMS in late-Feb and FP2 is like 3 months away. Q5 wasn't particularly difficult though, how'd you trip up?

Spoiler

68 was 85 UMS, you needed 70 for 90UMS :frown:(

for the first part i had x1+4x2 \displaystyle \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+4x^2}} as my second term, ie forgot the 2 :frown:

for the second part I didnt realise it was of the form f(x)[f(x)]n \displaystyle \int f'(x)[f(x)]^n and also messed up my substitution (limits got scary) Edit: scary limits as actually question 7c upon reviewing, q5 sub was just badly done by me haha

not my usual standard so im not impressed but I learnt from it at least
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

LOL @ this :rofl:

I just looked up Wordpress actually and that looks really cool :O It even has custom themes! I think I'm gonna explore Wordpress a little more. Thanks for the suggestion!

Original post by tinkerbella~
Which was the one your Skyrim blog was on, again? Would you recommend it? :smile:

A Skyrim blog?? I wanna read!!! :O
Do you two always draw a diagram for these questions, or do you draw one when you can't visualise it properly?

most of the time I draw a quick diagram, especially if its one of those "the tangent to the hyperbola crosses x axis at P and y axis at Q, find the mid pt of PQ and the loci as theta varies" kind of ones

basically if tangents and normals are introduced it's diagram time
Reply 691
Good luck man.
Original post by Zacken
Tumblr but you're not a white girl, so maybe not...

LOL @ this :rofl:

"Tumblr is actually pretty cool." - brown male

I used to frequent it before it was overly sensitive :redface:
"Tumblr is actually pretty cool." - brown male

I used to frequent it before it was overly sensitive :redface:

Actually I've never visited it properly apart from the occasional gif search. I just hop on the bandwagon :dontknow: :getmecoat:
68 was 85 UMS, you needed 70 for 90UMS :frown:(

for the first part i had x1+4x2 \displaystyle \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+4x^2}} as my second term, ie forgot the 2 :frown:

for the second part I didnt realise it was of the form f(x)[f(x)]n \displaystyle \int f'(x)[f(x)]^n and also messed up my substitution (limits got scary) Edit: scary limits as actually question 7c upon reviewing, q5 sub was just badly done by me haha

not my usual standard so im not impressed but I learnt from it at least

most of the time I draw a quick diagram, especially if its one of those "the tangent to the hyperbola crosses x axis at P and y axis at Q, find the mid pt of PQ and the loci as theta varies" kind of ones

basically if tangents and normals are introduced it's diagram time

Are you sure? I think 68 was 90 on that paper, but if it were take today you're probably right - it'd be 70 no doubt seeing as how challenging FP3 has gotten recently.

Yep, it was just simple C4 afterwards but I can see why you were put off by it. The other integral was much harder, so you must be doing something right. :yep:

I think failing has equal learning opportunities to doing well. If I didn't fail the first FP3 paper I did, I wouldn't have been in for a shock - pretty much got me to practice all the conics I could :tongue:

Got it - I do pretty much the same thing. I'm getting used to these loci questions, they're growing on me :redface:
Actually I've never visited it properly apart from the occasional gif search. I just hop on the bandwagon :dontknow: :getmecoat:

it has a very nice interface to write a blog! very customisable but it take a long time to make it look pretty. Wordpress however is also looking very neat
Are you sure? I think 68 was 90 on that paper, but if it were take today you're probably right - it'd be 70 no doubt seeing as how challenging FP3 has gotten recently.

Yep, it was just simple C4 afterwards but I can see why you were put off by it. The other integral was much harder, so you must be doing something right. :yep:

I think failing has equal learning opportunities to doing well. If I didn't fail the first FP3 paper I did, I wouldn't have been in for a shock - pretty much got me to practice all the conics I could :tongue:

Got it - I do pretty much the same thing. I'm getting used to these loci questions, they're growing on me :redface:

it felt easy enough tbh, yea the edexcel website says 70/75 for 90ums

its a method i miss a lot, hopefully once I do it properly in school itll be easy to spot. the other integral was nasty, i ended up subbing e^x = tanu and then changing everything back in terms of x at the end

its stil about 4 months until FP3 so im not too worried yet, just got to keep practicing

yea i feel the same, theyre still scary questions but its more a "wow this will a nice challenge" these days as opposed to a month or two ago when it was a "omg get this away from me" :laugh:

also 403, have you ever noticed that Indeterminate looks kind of like Shahrukh Khan in his avatar? :tongue:
Reply 698
Original post by tinkerbella~

I'll have you know that I coded up my own website from scratch and hosted it off a crappy laptop in my cupboard, smartass. :tongue:
Reply 699
also 403, have you ever noticed that Indeterminate looks kind of like Shahrukh Khan in his avatar? :tongue:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending