The Student Room Group

Vanilla Aims for A*s at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lemur14
No we swapped before the current year 11 (when they originally made them a lot harder).
We do a 3 year KS4 so we did little bits of programming and theory last year then we spend this year programming and next year doing theory. We started in September having no clue what we were doing but we worked our way through it slowly (pushing lots of deadlines back) and handed it in 2 weeks ago. What helped for us is lots of examples (generally current year 11s work) and the mark scheme so we could work to meet the marks. The other computing class messed around a lot and they haven't got theirs finished so I'm very happy to have mine finished (I was actually the first one finished in the class :smile:)
I don't really know if OCR is harder for all subjects but I take OCR history and business so I hope not!

I'm not sure for definite but it is the hardest for most subjects! (especially sciences) and congrats on finishing your programming ca first!
Original post by hals
I'm not sure for definite but it is the hardest for most subjects! (especially sciences) and congrats on finishing your programming ca first!

Yeah AQA is definitely more popular for sciences probably for that reason.
Thanks :smile: It was probably because there's only 5 girls in the class so we tend to get on while the boys talk and I had a lot more insight into the task because I did it a different way to everyone else but I still had to work out how to do it their way (to help the boy with ASD sitting next to me) so I could justify my way a lot easier :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah AQA is definitely more popular for sciences probably for that reason.
Thanks :smile: It was probably because there's only 5 girls in the class so we tend to get on while the boys talk and I had a lot more insight into the task because I did it a different way to everyone else but I still had to work out how to do it their way (to help the boy with ASD sitting next to me) so I could justify my way a lot easier :smile:

it's really admirable of you to do it your own way ad then even learn how the rest of the class did it to help someone else, especially a person with, as you say, a social disorder (forgive me if I'm wrong) :h:
Reply 23
Original post by Lemur14
This is me! I have 3 religious teachings in my head and that's about it. Need multiple religions though which makes everything more difficult.;0
I'm taking the same subjects apart from I've already done my French and I'm doing business studies instead of economics so hopefully I can learn from you

OCR is harder than AQA now. It used to be much easier before the answers were all posted on the internet so they had to produce new tasks. Our teacher estimates for every page OCR give you to help now, AQA gives you at least 4 pages which is why we've swapped to AQA. I'm meant to be programming my second task now (I'm year 10) as we've just completed the first one but I'm procrastinating on here instead,

That's statement is 100% true and I'm personally gutted that my school hasn't considered swapping to AQA for Computing. I'm now doing A453 and I'm still stuck on trying to loop on Task 1. Also, many websites that students use to ask and post for answers now remove the page completely or just give them resources instead of the actual code so in theory GCSE Computing is harder with OCR even though you may be able to cheat in the CA (Not saying that I do this personally).
Original post by hals
it's really admirable of you to do it your own way ad then even learn how the rest of the class did it to help someone else, especially a person with, as you say, a social disorder (forgive me if I'm wrong)
Thanks :smile: Quite a lot of it was X how did you do this bit? but I loved helping him (he reminds me of a little girl I've done a lot of volunteering with who has similar issues and at one point got really attached to me) and as I say it did help me with my insight as well so a win all round.
Original post by JTran38
That's statement is 100% true and I'm personally gutted that my school hasn't considered swapping to AQA for Computing. I'm now doing A453 and I'm still stuck on trying to loop on Task 1. Also, many websites that students use to ask and post for answers now remove the page completely or just give them resources instead of the actual code so in theory GCSE Computing is harder with OCR even though you may be able to cheat in the CA (Not saying that I do this personally).

I'm gutted for you as well. It could have been fun having more conversations about computing other than I feel sorry for you as your teacher is useless. OCR is much harder to cheat on that it used to be (or at any rate according to our teacher) but AQA is just much more helpful in breaking each task into many sub tasks and explaining them in detail (plus the mark scheme is really helpful as well). Anyway, off to start my programming now stats is finally finished :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Lemur14
Thanks :smile: Quite a lot of it was X how did you do this bit? but I loved helping him (he reminds me of a little girl I've done a lot of volunteering with who has similar issues and at one point got really attached to me) and as I say it did help me with my insight as well so a win all round.

I'm gutted for you as well. It could have been fun having more conversations about computing other than I feel sorry for you as your teacher is useless. OCR is much harder to cheat on that it used to be (or at any rate according to our teacher) but AQA is just much more helpful in breaking each task into many sub tasks and explaining them in detail (plus the mark scheme is really helpful as well). Anyway, off to start my programming now stats is finally finished :smile:

Alright. As we speak, I'm dreading Computing tomorrow :/
Haha I agree, OCR Computing is a beast. I've finally finished with flashcards for theory and they total 135, glad they're not physical ones :biggrin:
I started programming task three today and there are so many processes to get my head around... Still have no clue how to actually code a bubble sort (it involves arrays and swapping places but that's all I know)

Today I got my spoken language controlled assessment back and it was full marks, which I'm especially pleased about considering I was on a low B at the start of year ten. Just goes to show what hard work can do for you! I think English Language is 40% controlled assessment so having a good grade there will really help, considering I can't seem to budge from one mark off A* in info and ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today was meant to be a PSHE day but I got out of it and did computing instead. It hit me how much programming there is, but at least I'm ahead now

Today I plan on doing some homework then starting revision for my economics test on Friday. I watched some videos from last year's results day and it's really motivating me to do my best

Also thinking of applying to the UCL Summer School so might do some more research on that

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's been a while since I've posted here so hi

Economics test went terribly, who knew a test on environmental issues could be about the 5p bag charge

I'm finally doing P4 which is Radiation for Life - I find the questions here quite nice haha, also looking through my mock paper to remind myself of the question styles

I need to get my work experience sorted out by the end of March - I've applied for Nationwide and Ramboll but I have no idea whether they'll get back to me soon, considering the deadline for Ramboll is in April...
Still working on A452 -.- I've just got a few more screens to do then my app is done but there's loads of the writeup I just haven't done (not like I've been avoiding it or anything...)

Going to start going over B5 some time today/tomorrow, as we have an end of unit test in two weeks and I have no idea what this module even is

Also got my exam timetable on Monday and I have 22 exams. The B123 paper is first of all the sciences so I may have to start revision on that soon - I did a couple of weeks of revision for the mock so 2 months is plenty of time to cover B1-6

Had an RS assessment today and lol'd, I didn't think it was particularly hard but don't think I did well either. An A, maybe? RS grade boundaries are unforgiving
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Still working on A452 -.- I've just got a few more screens to do then my app is done but there's loads of the writeup I just haven't done (not like I've been avoiding it or anything...)

Going to start going over B5 some time today/tomorrow, as we have an end of unit test in two weeks and I have no idea what this module even is

Also got my exam timetable on Monday and I have 22 exams. The B123 paper is first of all the sciences so I may have to start revision on that soon - I did a couple of weeks of revision for the mock so 2 months is plenty of time to cover B1-6

Had an RS assessment today and lol'd, I didn't think it was particularly hard but don't think I did well either. An A, maybe? RS grade boundaries are unforgiving

Sounds like me on the computing. When it got to the point that I had to get rid of code so I could evidence the bits before it I realised I was going too far. It's just soo irresistible to code the whole lot first! When I stopped coding the whole thing and actually did the evidence, sometimes not doing any coding all lesson I started working better and that's how I finished so quickly so make sure you keep on top of it!
Good luck with your biology revision. I don't have a clue with biology (see my GYGs thread lol).
We should be getting our RS mock grades back tomorrow. I know what you mean about unforgiving grades but our school has a standard grade boundary system of A* = 90%, A - 80% so I'm used to unforgiving grades and it actually sometimes means when we actually use past papers I'm pleasantly surprised.
Original post by Lemur14
Sounds like me on the computing. When it got to the point that I had to get rid of code so I could evidence the bits before it I realised I was going too far. It's just soo irresistible to code the whole lot first! When I stopped coding the whole thing and actually did the evidence, sometimes not doing any coding all lesson I started working better and that's how I finished so quickly so make sure you keep on top of it!
Good luck with your biology revision. I don't have a clue with biology (see my GYGs thread lol).
We should be getting our RS mock grades back tomorrow. I know what you mean about unforgiving grades but our school has a standard grade boundary system of A* = 90%, A - 80% so I'm used to unforgiving grades and it actually sometimes means when we actually use past papers I'm pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I realised that too, so I've done the first few assignment questions and the ones I have left I can pretend I answered them as I went along instead of right at the end lol

95% was A* in our RS mock so that was upsetting
Reply 32
Good luck getting those grades! I'm sure you will :smile:
Yeah I realised that too, so I've done the first few assignment questions and the ones I have left I can pretend I answered them as I went along instead of right at the end lol

95% was A* in our RS mock so that was upsetting

They don't get your code anyway so if you screen shot things in the right way you can perceive something that isn't technically accurate.
I'm upset because we have been told the school aren't using the official grade boundaries for our mock and are using the school ones. I'd like to actually have some indication of what I might get in the real exam so I'll have to look it up. (Ok I just looked and they are nearly 10% out for the grades - 82% is A*, 71% is A, 61% is B and 50% is C. Not impressed. That's why the grade boundaries are adjusted each year:angry:). We haven't been given our mark though :frown:
Original post by kennethdcharles
Good luck getting those grades! I'm sure you will :smile:

Original post by Mr...
:goodluck:

Thanks lads, know you can both get what you want also :smile:

Original post by Lemur14
They don't get your code anyway so if you screen shot things in the right way you can perceive something that isn't technically accurate.
I'm upset because we have been told the school aren't using the official grade boundaries for our mock and are using the school ones. I'd like to actually have some indication of what I might get in the real exam so I'll have to look it up. (Ok I just looked and they are nearly 10% out for the grades - 82% is A*, 71% is A, 61% is B and 50% is C. Not impressed. That's why the grade boundaries are adjusted each year:angry:). We haven't been given our mark though :frown:

Yeah my app is a bit faulty but I just need to show evidence in the form of screenshots, and everything is fine there.
Ah, that isn't very fair. At least if your grades aren't as good as you know what you could've got if they'd used the actual grade boundaries. My school's done that with English Lang and Lit and it's kinda reassuring that I'll have some leeway in the real exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my app is a bit faulty but I just need to show evidence in the form of screenshots, and everything is fine there.
Ah, that isn't very fair. At least if your grades aren't as good as you know what you could've got if they'd used the actual grade boundaries. My school's done that with English Lang and Lit and it's kinda reassuring that I'll have some leeway in the real exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah everything in mine is screenshots and explanations of the screenshots.
My problem in it isn't actually the grade it's more the oh you only got a C (I'm expected to get high grades in everything just because I'm good at maths :s-smilie:) when in reality it would be a B which apparently is much more acceptable.
Hello all :biggrin:

Economics: A
In English Language, RS and Economics I was one mark off A* which was really annoying but just motivates me to really work hard to secure it. I simply didn't revise enough for Chemistry (one night is not enough for all the content..) but I'm easily capable enough. Computing was a disaster and a half haha

Here's hoping I can achieve the grades I want :h:

Hey, im also doing GCSEs, well done on yur progress!
I just wanted to ask about the AQA economics, im struggling and on a B right now. Can you give me advice on how you revise, what you revise and how you apply and evaluate in the exam? I find these quite difficult.

They say teaching is also a great way to revise lmaoo
plssss help meeeh
Original post by theconfusedman
Hey, im also doing GCSEs, well done on yur progress!
I just wanted to ask about the AQA economics, im struggling and on a B right now. Can you give me advice on how you revise, what you revise and how you apply and evaluate in the exam? I find these quite difficult.

They say teaching is also a great way to revise lmaoo

Well I never found the content too hard as a lot of it (lots of unit 11, globalisation and pollution to an extent) is common sense. What catches me out is technique; as my teacher always says, if you mess up a six marker, that's the difference between two grades. The grade boundaries are super high as well so you can't afford to lose marks like that. I mainly go over my notes in my exercise book (as they have more detail than the textbook) and make sure I can explain these if need be.

For example, I know they'll never ask to describe fiscal policy, but they may ask what steps can be taken to reduce unemployment / inflation, so I'll immediately think I need to be explaining an aspect of fiscal / monetary policy. It's also important to check how many marks it's worth to see how far your point needs to be developed. Don't forget to relate it back to the context given at the start of each question!

My 12 markers are pretty meh (never gotten 12 before :tongue: ) but our teacher always bangs on about how the conclusion is worth six marks so if you're running out of time, make sure you have a decent one

Hope I helped somewhat :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I never found the content too hard as a lot of it (lots of unit 11, globalisation and pollution to an extent) is common sense. What catches me out is technique; as my teacher always says, if you mess up a six marker, that's the difference between two grades. The grade boundaries are super high as well so you can't afford to lose marks like that. I mainly go over my notes in my exercise book (as they have more detail than the textbook) and make sure I can explain these if need be.

For example, I know they'll never ask to describe fiscal policy, but they may ask what steps can be taken to reduce unemployment / inflation, so I'll immediately think I need to be explaining an aspect of fiscal / monetary policy. It's also important to check how many marks it's worth to see how far your point needs to be developed. Don't forget to relate it back to the context given at the start of each question!

My 12 markers are pretty meh (never gotten 12 before :tongue: ) but our teacher always bangs on about how the conclusion is worth six marks so if you're running out of time, make sure you have a decent one

Hope I helped somewhat :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I find the content ok, guess i just didnt revise for mocks. But i HATE technique. How do you revise technique and can you give me any generic tips on how you go about application? sorry, I know im asking a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending