The Student Room Group

When to start revising for final exams GCSE?

My exams are May til June. When should I start to revise and if now, how do I structure an effective timetable for blocks of revising for each subject? I'm awful at structuring time and I find myself revising for whatever it takes and I don't set a timescale it's usually a rough estimate. Also how much time before my exams should I start to look through past papers? Thanks in advance for any answer :-)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by twhiddy
My exams are May til June. When should I start to revise and if now, how do I structure an effective timetable for blocks of revising for each subject? I'm awful at structuring time and I find myself revising for whatever it takes and I don't set a timescale it's usually a rough estimate. Also how much time before my exams should I start to look through past papers? Thanks in advance for any answer :-)

WELL... most of the people have started their revision already... maybe a month before
So you should start your revision NOW
here is a video to help you to make and sturcture your timetable
[video="youtube;q_5LXfMMrEg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_5LXfMMrEg&app=desktop[/video]
https://getrevising.co.uk

Here you can make a digital study planner and it also has some other useful resources too.
Good luck!
I'm starting properly around mid-March. TBH, my resources are ready from mocks so it's not really a problem for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you start now, will you burn out?
Reply 5
Original post by fatima1998
WELL... most of the people have started their revision already... maybe a month before
So you should start your revision NOW
here is a video to help you to make and sturcture your timetable
[video="youtube;q_5LXfMMrEg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_5LXfMMrEg&app=desktop[/video]

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by petrblak
https://getrevising.co.uk

Here you can make a digital study planner and it also has some other useful resources too.
Good luck!

Thanks for the link! I'll give it a go! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by yepthatsme
I'm starting properly around mid-March. TBH, my resources are ready from mocks so it's not really a problem for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here! That's probably why I wanted to know when to start revising because I'd properly revised for mocks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by pyxis
If you start now, will you burn out?

To be completely honest, I can't tell. I'm good at steady studying so I was thinking of maybe starting slow with 20 minute increments. Thanks for giving me this to consider! :smile:
I properly started revising for my GCSEs probably a month before, but it's better to make sure you understand everything now before you start! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by electrahearts
I properly started revising for my GCSEs probably a month before, but it's better to make sure you understand everything now before you start! :smile:

Thank you! :smile: I'm deffo starting on Maths, so much to understand!
Lol im starting Easter
Original post by twhiddy
Thank you! :smile: I'm deffo starting on Maths, so much to understand!

great idea! there's loads of maths past papers available and they're definitely useful to practice on, so you know how to get all the marks available!
Reply 13
Original post by electrahearts
great idea! there's loads of maths past papers available and they're definitely useful to practice on, so you know how to get all the marks available!

Thank you!! :biggrin:
You should've already started with your mocks so there shouldn't be that much more to go over. Just keep going over what you already know and do questions and more questions and yet more questions then you can sail through them 'cause there's only a finite number of types of questions and you'll probably have a few you've done before in the exams you'll sit in the summer.
Reply 15
Original post by MrFartFace
You should've already started with your mocks so there shouldn't be that much more to go over. Just keep going over what you already know and do questions and more questions and yet more questions then you can sail through them 'cause there's only a finite number of types of questions and you'll probably have a few you've done before in the exams you'll sit in the summer.

Yeah, I started revising for mocks last year and got through them..but I lost my stride over christmas and the beginning of this year. I guess I just need to pick myself up and start properly revising for my final exams :smile:
Join the club, all exam revision loses momentum after a while, right now, I just want to get started with my summer but there's still months to go. Just gotta keep at it, but remember, if you absolutely don't want to do any more revision in a day, stop, take a break, go outside or w/e.
Original post by twhiddy
Thank you so much! :smile:

my pleasure :h:
Reply 18
Original post by MrFartFace
Join the club, all exam revision loses momentum after a while, right now, I just want to get started with my summer but there's still months to go. Just gotta keep at it, but remember, if you absolutely don't want to do any more revision in a day, stop, take a break, go outside or w/e.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by twhiddy
To be completely honest, I can't tell. I'm good at steady studying so I was thinking of maybe starting slow with 20 minute increments. Thanks for giving me this to consider! :smile:

No problem! :smile: I'm doing GCSEs too and gonna try to start slowly and then increase the hours. Good luck!! What subjects are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest