The Student Room Group

The caste system and British Indians

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Not really. I know loads of Indians and the only ones that still practice it are morons.

There isn't any surprise that Jatt's are snobby. They benefited from enslaving everyone else.

We're in Britain now, not India.
Original post by Ribbit1234
I'm not sure about other South Asian Muslims and their traditions. Indian Muslims do not have a caste. Caste system is a Hindu thing. As long as the guy/girl u wish to marry is a Muslim it will be accepted. Sometimes it may not be liked and they may 'prefer' u to get married to someone from a similar background, but as long as the person you'd like to bring home is Muslim it will be accepted as there's nothing they'd be able to do at that point

Maybe, I don't know too much about how it is with Muslims. But I know of one Pakistani couple who were inter-caste and theie parents were against it at first, but it still happened.
maybe I'm from a really a liberal family, but caste has never been an issue. I mean, my mum married a white guy and my cousin has just married outside of our religion and to an American. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I guess because of my upbringing, I assumed that caste was something that only still existed in India with native Indians?
My parents are very well aware of the fact that my siblings and i dont agree with the aste system and the most annoying thing is that the caste system is not part of our religion ( im Sikh).
But, to them its a massive no no and shameful that if their children get married out of caste they will be talked about. They have told us time and timw again that they want is to marry in caste but its not right. I dont want to hurt them but at the same time im not going to give up on someone who will make me happy after they are gone.

The last thing they will expect is for me to defy them but deep down they know its wrong and im gonna fight till they accept it amd are happy with me for me in their hearts and not just for show for society.
Well islamically what their parents are doing is haram as u should look at the piety of a person and not their background. They're parents are not acting according to Islam but according to their own cultural traditions and bs. british born and raised Muslims will not give a **** about background for sure
What a load of *******s.

I know plenty of Muslim families that would disown their daughter or son if they married a Muslim from another race.
Original post by preetg97
We're in Britain now, not India.

Your point being what? The fact that some Indians lived here for 40 years, then they have forgotten about treating other Indians like **** for a few hundred?
Your point being what? The fact that some Indians lived here for 40 years, then they have forgotten about treating other Indians like **** for a few hundred?

No. You said Jatt's are snobby because they benefited from enslaving other people. I'm saying we're in Britain, does that make Jatt's here snobby when they played no part in that?
Um it's only in Saudi Arabia women can't drive, not EVERy Muslim country. One Muslim country doesn't speak for the rest on us, stop generalising, it makes u sound ignorant
Original post by Sharkindustries
If you are implying Hindus are the ones advocating caste, then your ignorance to facts and knowledge is painfully large. I will not try and insult Islam, but at least Hindu women can drive without the prospect of being imprisoned......😈

Posted from TSR Mobile
@RivalPlayer any questions/discussion for me?

I want to join in the conversation too, please? lol :biggrin:
But they are the ones advocating caste ???? I mean why else does it exist amongst them duh
If you are implying Hindus are the ones advocating caste, then your ignorance to facts and knowledge is painfully large. I will not try and insult Islam, but at least Hindu women can drive without the prospect of being imprisoned......😈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
But they are the ones advocating caste ???? I mean why else does it exist amongst them duh

It's an atrocity committed in the name of Hinduism and the modern caste system has no sanction from the scripture of authority anyway.

There is the idea of Varna mentioned in the Gita, which just says that the jobs in society are to be divided up based on aptitude, qualities. It is just like division of labour that we study in economics.
That's all. It is nothing to do with birth or parents or anything like the modern caste system.

Unfortunately, what was a valid idea, degenerated and was practiced in a very poor way by the Hindus which is why Hinduism is blamed for it. But the scriptures of authority in many places say that everybody is equal (can quote from the Gita if required).
No. You said Jatt's are snobby because they benefited from enslaving other people. I'm saying we're in Britain, does that make Jatt's here snobby when they played no part in that?

Well, actually, you said that.

I said that would be no surprise since being "snobby" is a symptom of Upper Class overindulgence since the Jatt's are "upper" class.

And in response to your question, I would say yes, considering people still wish to carry on this caste despite it's history. No one goes around saying I wish to carry on being an untouchable.
Well, actually, you said that..

There isn't any surprise that Jatt's are snobby. They benefited from enslaving everyone else.

Hope that helps. Clearly you're another person who cannot read on this thread.
Um it's only in Saudi Arabia women can't drive, not EVERy Muslim country. One Muslim country doesn't speak for the rest on us, stop generalising, it makes u sound ignorant

Ah, hypocrisy here, see the way I insulted you it's the same you initially insulted me......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope that helps. Clearly you're another person who cannot read on this thread.

No. You said it.

I agreed.

Try not to lie next time.
I said that ignorant people can view people that way. You just backed me up on that fact, lol..

So like I said, you did say it. So stop lying then.

I then said why such a view was legitimate. Keep up.
Ah cool, that makes sense. Still, I guess It's good to see Indians of our generation being more open minded and not buying into this whole caste system
Original post by nucdev
It's an atrocity committed in the name of Hinduism and the modern caste system has no sanction from the scripture of authority anyway.

There is the idea of Varna mentioned in the Gita, which just says that the jobs in society are to be divided up based on aptitude, qualities. It is just like division of labour that we study in economics.
That's all. It is nothing to do with birth or parents or anything like the modern caste system.

Unfortunately, what was a valid idea, degenerated and was practiced in a very poor way by the Hindus which is why Hinduism is blamed for it. But the scriptures of authority in many places say that everybody is equal (can quote from the Gita if required).
Whatttt are you on about?? Hypocrisy? How? are you denying the caste system doesn't exist cuz it does? I'm not getting ur point. And I didn't find ur comment insulting just plain ignorant and dumb cuz it was
Ah, hypocrisy here, see the way I insulted you it's the same you initially insulted me......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Um Indian Muslim here so I don't know if it's a different situation to Indian Hindus but I have a massive family and some are really white and some are dark and some are in between, soo what u say makes no sense

I'm not sure about other South Asian Muslims and their traditions. Indian Muslims do not have a caste. Caste system is a Hindu thing. As long as the guy/girl u wish to marry is a Muslim it will be accepted. Sometimes it may not be liked and they may 'prefer' u to get married to someone from a similar background, but as long as the person you'd like to bring home is Muslim it will be accepted as there's nothing they'd be able to do at that point

Huh?

What do you mean that we Indian Muslims don't have caste?
We do!
Maybe we're not as bad as other communities but it is still there. Rishtas still get decided on it.
Perhaps that doesn't happen in your family but I can tell you with certainty that it happens amongst other communities.
(edited 8 years ago)

Firstly, the caste system does not exist in any religion, it exists in the scum ideology of humanity. Islam and Christianity also have hierarchy, but again it is as stupid as the content of this conversation. As per "why does it exist amongst them", it really does not on a general scale, if you ever go to India yiu would realise it only exists in rural areas and really not in urban areas .

As per Saudi Arabia, I know....but I hardly associate rural Muslims with being tolerant of other cultures and traditions, so discrimination against other religions and even women (yes they can drive, but there are a lot of patriarchal laws such as polygamy throughout the Muslim world).

When you point a finger, don't forget that 3 of them point to yourself so make sure you are not being a hypocrite..

P.S to people who are saying Preet is supporting the caste system, please know your collective intelligence if you believe that is less than that of a half dead pigeon in this case...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending