The Student Room Group

The caste system and British Indians

Scroll to see replies

This is about British born and raised Indians. We're not freshys that buy into stupid bs like that.i don't know where about u live, but where I'm from in England we don't think and act like freshys :smile:
Original post by IndianMuslim
Huh?

What do you mean that we Indian Muslims don't have caste?
We do!
Maybe we're not as bad as other communities but it is still there. Rishtas still get decided on it.
Perhaps that doesn't happen in your family but I can tell you with certainty that it happens amongst other communities.
Original post by RivalPlayer
Yeah, what about in terms business transactions and employability. Do you think the caste system has an influence on who gets a job in a family run business (in the UK)?

If the employers are upper caste Indians, being in the UK or India they can't refuse someone a job just for being from a lower caste. Some lower caste Sikh people have faced discrimination if they were working at a higher caste family run business/shop in the UK, but I haven't heard any other stories otherwise. I don't know for sure but if two candidates were going for the same job, the one from the higher caste would have a better chance in theory.
When working together with other Indians they usually know what this person's caste is but they don't discriminate or treat them differently. The caste discrimination is more on relationships in the UK now.
Original post by Sharkindustries
Firstly, the caste system does not exist in any religion, it exists in the scum ideology of humanity. Islam and Christianity also have hierarchy, but again it is as stupid as the content of this conversation. As per "why does it exist amongst them", it really does not on a general scale, if you ever go to India yiu would realise it only exists in rural areas and really not in urban areas .

If you think that Caste disappears if you live in a city then you are deluded.

Christianity doesn't have an enforced hierarchy that enslaves a proportion of the population.
Original post by Eternalflames
If the employers are upper caste Indians, being in the UK or India they can't refuse someone a job just for being from a lower caste. Some lower caste Sikh people have faced discrimination if they were working at a higher caste family run business/shop in the UK, but I haven't heard any other stories otherwise. I don't know for sure but if two candidates were going for the same job, the one from the higher caste would have a better chance in theory.
When working together with other Indians they usually know what this person's caste is but they don't discriminate or treat them differently. The caste discrimination is more on relationships in the UK now.

Agreed, though caste discrimination is largely on relationships in India...as on a general level , the Indian constitution gives an equal opportunity to everyone regardless their cadre or religion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism

Christianity doesn't have an enforced hierarchy that enslaves a proportion of the population.

Have you never heard of middle age priests, Kings, peasants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you never heard of middle age priests, Kings, peasants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha.

500 years ago!

We are talking about the 21st century.
Agreed, though caste discrimination is largely on relationships in India...as on a general level , the Indian constitution gives an equal opportunity to everyone regardless their cadre or religion

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's hard to say this now because of reservations in jobs and lower entry requirements in university places for the lower castes. I think this should be removed as it's not fair on the upper castes. The lower castes, and ex-untouchables have come a long way since then and shouldn't take reservations anymore in my opinion. Equal opportunities = everyone gets treated the same. No special treatment here and here

Slavery was once accepted in the past in Christianity, justified by passages in the Bible by the way. So your argument is pretty weak.
haha.

500 years ago!

We are talking about the 21st century.

Thanks for reminding us it's the 21st century! Maybe now you can get over your earlier comment of supposed 'higher castes' enslaving lower ones.
I am just saying as my last comment on this forum, please understand the true circumstances of the country and religion. Having lived in India (a primarily Hindu country) and Indonesia (a Muslim one) with constant traveling around the world, I can easily say hierarchy exits everywhere. It's just that it's only exercised in India that too with a limited degree in martial affairs but not on "enslaving" them. I doubt the guy the profile picture of Hitler will understand how the world works, or how the Muslims will subtly say how Islam is great (I believe they all are equally respectable) , but my point is, before one thinks oh that's Indian culture or a Hindu culture, please understand that there is more to it than just the negative aspects...(the same applies to Islam, and no "jihad" is not killing someone on the name of Allah, that is called Wahhabism, so yeah I know my stuff....)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's hard to say this now because of reservations in jobs and lower entry requirements in university places for the lower castes. I think this should be removed as it's not fair on the upper castes. The lower castes, and ex-untouchables have come a long way since then and shouldn't take reservations anymore in my opinion. Equal opportunities = everyone gets treated the same. No special treatment here and here

Totally agree! Which is what the Modi government is trying to do but it's just the stupid left wing in India won't agree too...haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91

Totally agree! Which is what the Modi government is trying to do but it's just the stupid left wing in India won't agree too...haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should have been done decades ago, keeping in line with the Constitution, but remember: POLITICS!
Original post by preetg97
Slavery was once accepted in the past in Christianity, justified by passages in the Bible by the way. So your argument is pretty weak.

My argument was that Christianity "doesn't" enslave.

It is present tense. Not past. Try reading.

Original post by preetg97

Thanks for reminding us it's the 21st century! Maybe now you can get over your earlier comment of supposed 'higher castes' enslaving lower ones.

Yes, which continues today in India with Untouchables continuing to be locked into enforced servitude.

I understand that you are grasping at straws to try to prove me wrong but you are sounding desperate.
Looool

I really have no idea. In the end they wont have a choice, but along the way there are going to be so many ups and downs. They arent just going to be like 'okay, if thats what you want'. They will most definitley flat out refuse and express their hurt and disappointment but i will be persistant. They wont like it, but i know im not doing anythig wrong. My siblings do shaare the same views but they dont like conflict so may not be happy with me for that reason but they are still young rn, i hope that they want to fight like me. I do love my parents more than anything but i dont want to suffer at the hands of this bs!

Ive just entered into a relationship that my parents will not be told about until the time is right. Its all very new and im with someone that makes me happy and is fully aware of what problems we will most likely face in the future. Im lucky that hes so supportive and understanding and willing to fight for us no matter how long it takes so on that front i will be strong for us both too. I am the eldest but whether i will be able to set an example or not, only time will tell. I hope that i can though for my siblings sake :redface:
Original post by nucdev
It should have been done decades ago, keeping in line with the Constitution, but remember: POLITICS!

What about it? Please explain

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure what Modi government is doing about it but it has to go either way lol
Reply 96
What about it? Please explain

Well, a lot of political parties in India gain votes on the basis of who will be offered reservation and so on, so it's usually in the political interests of certain parties to keep the reservation system based on caste rather than getting rid of it.
Reply 97
Original post by cupcakes87

Ive just entered into a relationship that my parents will not be told about until the time is right. Its all very new and im with someone that makes me happy and is fully aware of what problems we will most likely face in the future. Im lucky that hes so supportive and understanding and willing to fight for us no matter how long it takes so on that front i will be strong for us both too. I am the eldest but whether i will be able to set an example or not, only time will tell. I hope that i can though for my siblings sake :redface:

:colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:
And you didn't even tell bhaiyya :colonhash:

Lool

Aah well, that's great, I'm happy for you, Bitto! :hugs:
Original post by nucdev
Well, a lot of political parties in India gain votes on the basis of who will be offered reservation and so on, so it's usually in the political interests of certain parties to keep the reservation system based on caste rather than getting rid of it.

Oh, that's so ****! I hate that, it should just go.
Original post by nucdev
Not really. I mean if you go to the South of India, you'll find some of the most orthodox high-castes have really dark skin.

What's interesting is that at least up until the 13th/14th century, it was the other way around. Indians found dark skin more desirable than light skin:

Marco Polo specifically mentions this in his comments about India: ‘For I assure you that the darkest man is here the most highly esteemed and considered better than others who are not so dark.
Let me add that in very truth these people portray and depict their gods and their idols black and their devils white as snow.’

Iyengar Brahmins like Hema Malini are so pale, what are you talking about? It's the minority which are dark skinned due to the reason I mentioned in my post.

Which demons were white? Marco Polo seems to be talking a load of bull
You do know many of the gods were taken from the natives and infused into Hinduism, Shiva is a black god, hence painted blue. He is the main South Indian god because he was theirs. Vishnu worship was the Aryan thing

Quick Reply