The Student Room Group

Indians!!!Why is the colour of your skin considered really important?

I'm doing a project regarding this and during my research I was so disgusted to find how people with darker skin were treated differently to those with fairer skin. Fair & lovely adverts, beauty pageants...why do they all suggest that you're only pretty if you have fair skin. Opinions??? Why do they do this???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by exoexo13
I'm doing a project regarding this and during my research I was so disgusted to find how people with darker skin were treated differently to those with fairer skin. Fair & lovely adverts, beauty pageants...why do they all suggest that you're only pretty if you have fair skin. Opinions??? Why do they do this???

It's not to me. I don't really give a ****
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought it was because they thought people perceived being light as being prettier. Its probably something from the older people, I doubt most people would care now
I was thinking it had something to do with the caste system/colonialism. Still seems to be a deep rooted issue. A girl in my year said it's better to be light skinned. She happened to be Indian descent *sigh*.
Reply 4
Original post by nucdev
It's not to me. I don't really give a ****

I'm not saying it is but I just wanted to know what others think :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I was thinking it had something to do with the caste system/colonialism. Still seems to be a deep rooted issue. A girl in my year said it's better to be light skinned. She happened to be Indian descent *sigh*.

What does the caste system have to do with skin colour though?
Reply 8
Ok if we are being serious here. Number 1, I think it's cause of the number of times India has been invaded by fair skin people, mughals, persian etc, its start to show in inferiority, its kind of a way for the uneducated person to think that they are therefore less then a person with white skin, which is something they really need to get rid off in order to progress, I guess it's some of the things in India that make Indians want to forget there roots, e.g. the perceived awkwardness, all indians love IT, the accents, and the stories you'll hear you just think of weird people, this is how the media perceive it as. If you look at Bollywood movies you'll see quite a lot of more 'fairer' actors, though this does not reflect the population it engrains an image into there head thats how they become beautiful, it's sad that how it's promoted there, if you go for a job you think they'll hire a dark skin vs white skin person.

Though it has to be said the issue is not just in India all over the world, white is beautiful, having white features, big eyes, small nose etc,I get mugged by my own family for having tanned skin and get called Bengali shop worker a lot lol, go to Asian countries (East) and there is a lot of fair skin cream. To be honest if you honestly want to look good with brown skin just get green contact lenses, you'll look exotic, and just accept the cards you dealt with I guess. Look forget about skin colour focus on life, skin colour your can't change but you can to view on your own skin.

I for one am accepting of all skin colours, thank god I grew up in London, no one here gives two shits, we're not in 1900 more.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Zeroic
Ok if we are being serious here. Number 1, I think it's cause of the number of times India has been invaded by fair skin people, mughals, persian etc, its start to show in inferiority, its kind of a way for the uneducated person to think that they are therefore less then a person with white skin, which is something they really need to get rid off in order to progress, I guess it's some of the things in India that make Indians want to forget there roots, e.g. the perceived awkwardness, all indians love IT, the accents, and the stories you'll hear you just think of weird people, this is how the media perceive it as. If you look at Bollywood movies you'll see quite a lot of more 'fairer' actors, though this does not reflect the population it engrains an image into there head thats how they become beautiful, it's sad that how it's promoted there, if you go for a job you think they'll hire a dark skin vs white skin person.

Though it has to be said the issue is not just in India all over the world, white is beautiful, having white features, big eyes, small nose etc,I get mugged by my own family for having tanned skin and get called Bengali shop worker a lot lol, go to Asian countries (East) and there is a lot of fair skin cream. To be honest if you honestly want to look good with brown skin just get green contact lenses, you'll look exotic, and just accept the cards you dealt with I guess. Look forget about skin colour focus on life, skin colour your can't change but you can to view on your own skin.

I for one am accepting of all skin colours, thank god I grew up in London, no one here gives two shits, we're not in 1900 more.

R u Indian ?
Reply 10
My mum used to wear fair and lovely! Omg the memories 😂😂😂😂😂
Reply 11
R u Indian ?
No Pakistani but I know there an issue not just in India.
It's not just India. This world is so white washed in general and having fairer skin in most collectivist cultures are deemed as more attractive and desirable. I have no idea why this is, I could say it is because of slavery/post-colonialism.

But then you have people with pale skin in western cultures going to the extremes and spending a fortune on tanning products.
I guess no one can be in content with what they have. The struggle and pressure to be something you are not can be so real at times:rolleyes:
Reply 13

just fukin lol at Indians wanting white skin cmon mate. ^^ Zyzz the god of brown skin
Reply 14
Original post by ZuluK
My mum used to wear fair and lovely! Omg the memories 😂😂😂😂😂

Oh lol same. I think my mum still does😂😂 Tbh it doesn't even make a difference and the ads are so lame.
Reply 15
Original post by Zeroic
No Pakistani but I know there an issue not just in India.

But aren't literally all Pakistanis white ?
Blacker the berry the sweeter the juice
Reply 17
But aren't literally all Pakistanis white ?

they come in all shapes and colours lol, but i'm targetted for having small 'chinese' eyes.
Reply 18
Original post by loveleest
It's not just India. This world is so white washed in general and having fairer skin in most collectivist cultures are deemed as more attractive and desirable. I have no idea why this is, I could say it is because of slavery/post-colonialism.

But then you have people with pale skin in western cultures going to the extremes and spending a fortune on tanning products.
I guess no one can be in content with what they have. The struggle and pressure to be something you are not can be so real at times:rolleyes:

But people with white skin aren't discriminated for them to feel the need to have a tan whereas those with darker skin are discriminated which makes them want to become fairer.

Because humans are stupid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending