The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
Good luck for your mocks, although I have every confidence you'll do well :biggrin:

Thank you - I wish I could stop itching though, so I could get some last minute revision done :s-smilie:

Onwards and upwards though :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Thank you - I wish I could stop itching though, so I could get some last minute revision done :s-smilie:

Onwards and upwards though :smile:

Good luck for your mocks! Anyone who only drops a few marks in a science paper is going to be more than fine. :smile:
Original post by Ara8311a
Good luck for your mocks! Anyone who only drops a few marks in a science paper is going to be more than fine. :smile:

Aw thank you - I really hope so :smile:
Original post by WSmith7069
Your mocks exams begin tomorrow. Good luck, you'll ace them!

Thank you :smile:
UPDATE FOR DAY 5

So today I definitely wanted to do Biology notes and had to get my head down for the mocks tomorrow (I have Chemistry and Physics Unit 1s tomorrow)
Here's what I accomplished:

Biology notes - the eye, classification, species, ATP

Physics notes - Powering cars (electric, biofuels, fossil fuels), ABS, paying for electricity, off-peak electricity

Chemistry - electrolysis of sodium chloride

I'll do some last minute revision tomorrow morning but I'll update you when I get to that :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
UPDATE:

Back to school today - for 2 exams!
Here's what I plan for my revision:

Morning: Look through and type up some Chemistry and Physics notes
After School: Maths and Biology Unit 1 revision
ANOTHER EDIT

Oooh 2 edits in one day, you lucky people.

I've just done two mocks and I'm not as happy about them as I would have liked but we will have to wait and see. As a result I plan to do as much revision as is physically possible so that I can get the grades I had hoped on the Unit 2s on Friday.

Therefore - I'm planning to do notes on everything I don't fully understand before I sit the exams and this probably means about 50-60 pages of notes from the revision guide, but I wll update you on how I get on :smile:
ANOTHER EDIT

Oooh 2 edits in one day, you lucky people.

I've just done two mocks and I'm not as happy about them as I would have liked but we will have to wait and see. As a result I plan to do as much revision as is physically possible so that I can get the grades I had hoped on the Unit 2s on Friday.

Therefore - I'm planning to do notes on everything I don't fully understand before I sit the exams and this probably means about 50-60 pages of notes from the revision guide, but I wll update you on how I get on :smile:

I'm sure you did great, but it's good that you want to do better! What exams did you have today?
Original post by NiamhM1801
I'm sure you did great, but it's good that you want to do better! What exams did you have today?

Chemistry C1-C3 and Physics P1-P3 :smile:
Reply 149
I can't begin to tell you how inspirational you are! :wink: You so driven and dedicated it makes me want to follow the same path :smile:
Original post by RosaA
I can't begin to tell you how inspirational you are! :wink: You so driven and dedicated it makes me want to follow the same path :smile:

Aw thank you - those words mean a lot :smile:
Original post by RosaA

Are you using the flashcards from the link? Just wondering how you are finding them?

If you have any improvements I would love to hear them :smile:
UPDATE FOR DAY 6

Phew! Today's been quite busy.
Two mocks consecutively this morning and followed by revision since 12:30 this afternoon

This morning I managed to recap everything I had planned before the exams and when I got back this afternoon I did the following:

Type up Physics notes on waves, Greenhouse effect, lasers, electricity

Write out Biology notes on:

adaptations (5 pages),

alcohol,

smoking,

fitness and inheritance,

species,

classification,

indicator species,

counter currents

stem cells

Maths: Look over fractional indices, simultaneous equations (estimating the answers using graphs), graphs of proportionality, transformations of function notation and rationalising the denominator when using surds.

Quite proud of what I've done today - though I have still got areas where I could clean up my strategy and actually take advantage of time, rather than waste it - but I'm getting better :smile:
Do you practice exam technique, if so how do you do so and do you revise that seperatly as its own session or with the topic you are revising for? btw how did you feel you did on ur mocks today?:smile:
Original post by Jamesawigley
Do you practice exam technique, if so how do you do so and do you revise that seperatly as its own session or with the topic you are revising for? btw how did you feel you did on ur mocks today?:smile:

Hi,
Yes I do practice exam technique and I plan to do past papers at least once a day (but this week, I've put all that on hold for the mocks) and in the shorter revision sessions before hand, I'll make notes on topics I feel weak on. Or I'll make notes on topics I got wrong in a past paper I did the week before. I don't specifically practice a set of questions on a particular topic, this is so that I can spot weaknesses.

As for the mocks, I'm not too happy about them as I think I've dropped too many marks than I would have liked but we will have to wait and see - I will post my results up here when I get them :smile:
Hi,
Yes I do practice exam technique and I plan to do past papers at least once a day (but this week, I've put all that on hold for the mocks) and in the shorter revision sessions before hand, I'll make notes on topics I feel weak on. Or I'll make notes on topics I got wrong in a past paper I did the week before. I don't specifically practice a set of questions on a particular topic, this is so that I can spot weaknesses.

As for the mocks, I'm not too happy about them as I think I've dropped too many marks than I would have liked but we will have to wait and see - I will post my results up here when I get them :smile:

Wouldn't you run out of papers for the exam board, or would you just use some past papers from other exam boards as some are quite similar? I am revising for about 3 hours on school nights and around 6 on weekend/ non-school days would you recommend to start doing a past paper a night then so I get my exam technique to a high standard?
Original post by Jamesawigley
Wouldn't you run out of papers for the exam board, or would you just use some past papers from other exam boards as some are quite similar? I am revising for about 3 hours on school nights and around 6 on weekend/ non-school days would you recommend to start doing a past paper a night then so I get my exam technique to a high standard?

Yeah you do run out - I've been through all the available science ones already but I'm going to do them at least twice again because I doubt I'll remember the answers (plus they are quite likely to repeat certain types, so it doesn't do any harm to go over them again).

Your revision hours are similar to mine :smile: and I'd say you don't have to do a paper a night if that might seem a bit excessive (though it can't hurt) so you could just plan to do a couple each weekend to sort of consolidate everything you've done that week and help you plan for the upcoming week. I would just suggest you start doing papers as soon as possible :smile:

And yes I do get the papers off other exam boards, particularly for things like German, because it's all German and I can use them to experience new vocab and build my knowledge that way.

I hope this helps :smile:
Yeah you do run out - I've been through all the available science ones already but I'm going to do them at least twice again because I doubt I'll remember the answers (plus they are quite likely to repeat certain types, so it doesn't do any harm to go over them again).

Your revision hours are similar to mine :smile: and I'd say you don't have to do a paper a night if that might seem a bit excessive (though it can't hurt) so you could just plan to do a couple each weekend to sort of consolidate everything you've done that week and help you plan for the upcoming week. I would just suggest you start doing papers as soon as possible :smile:

And yes I do get the papers off other exam boards, particularly for things like German, because it's all German and I can use them to experience new vocab and build my knowledge that way.

I hope this helps :smile:

It does thanks for the help:smile:
UPDATE

Mocks for today are Maths Non calc and Biology Unit 1

Morning: Revise notes and look at maths, particularly surds and indices
After exams: English language revision and Biology Unit 2 in preparation for the mocks tomorrow

:smile:
Reply 159
Are you using the flashcards from the link? Just wondering how you are finding them?

If you have any improvements I would love to hear them :smile:

Yes, I have been using the flashcards and yes they are quite good! -Very intuitive and engaging.

When I think of some improvements I'll let you know as I've only really managed to look at the Physics cards so far! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending