The Student Room Group

jessyjellytot14's strive for AAA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessyjellytot14
Thanks! I'll give you the links to the textbooks I use for psychology and maths

Psych:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Psychology-Level-Year-AS/dp/190868240X
This is absolutely amazing and contains everything you'll need to know, plus practice exam questions and exam tips and aaaah its just a godsend :tongue:

Maths:
Core 1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107
Core 2: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0435519115/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0435519107&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0PAC2Y8X16HAVBB1VMA5
Stats 1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Modular-Mathematics-Statistics/dp/0435519123/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QRMJXSY5X0ZP1AKBB4B

These are also quite helpful, although in my opinion they're better for practicing rather than learning. I just use Exam Solutions (plus my teachers) for the latter!

Thank you so much!!! For maths I have the CGP books and I love them but I'm 100% going to look at that psychology book it looks great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GothicPanda
I found your blog last night and not only has it motivated me to ensure I do the very best I possibly can for the remainder of the year but its also convinced me to start my own blog diary as well :smile:.

Also I completely relate to your time management problem in Psychology, in Politics I end up spending 20mins on a question that's supposed to take me 10mins and therefore I end up with 15mins left to answer and a 25mins question. Even with 25mins I still struggle to answer it fully but I'm sure with practice both of us can beat our timing problems! :wink:

Yay blog diaries ftw! I'm glad my blog has motivated you :smile:

And ahhh the struggles of timed essays! I think in the future i'll answer the highest mark questions last so I don't run out of time for the other questions! Or the other way round... I don't know which way is best!:tongue:
Friday 19/02/16

Spoiler

Today I have:

:donut: Had my hair cut! Only a trim, but its feels much healthier. My hairdresser thinks i'm super intelligent just because i'm doing A-level maths ha
:donut: Maths: Completed the Core 1 January 2009 paper which had a couple of tough questions and I only got 68/75 which is 91%. I lost marks due to:
- Writing 5/2 as 2.5 in one my calculations. If I had wrote it as 5/2 then I would've got the correct answer because I could've multiplied the other side of the equation by two. So handy tip- keep your answers as fractions because they are much easier to work with!!
- Question (9) (d) omg how horrible. I understand what you need to do now though.
:donut: Maths: Answered the binomial expansion questions from my homework.
:donut: Psychology: Still need to do this but I need to learn and make notes on how minorities have a social influence.
:donut: Physics: Not today, thank you.

I won't be posting tomorrow because my friend is (hopefully) coming round for a sleepover. Before she arrives though, I'm going to (Maths) complete a Core 1 June 2008 paper and (Psychology) make essay flashcards for the cognitive approach and the biological approach. If I am feeling particularly productive, I will also attempt some mechanics questions for physics.
I know i've been neglecting physics quite a bit so as of Sunday, i'm going to start prioritising it more (i.e. at least an hour a day)
Sunday 21/02/16

So what have I done this weekend besides watching lots of psychological thriller movies? Not much to be honest.
Yesterday I did the Core 1 June 2008 paper and got 72/75 which is 96%.
Today I have made essay flashcards for the cognitive approach and the biological approach for psychology. I think i'll just relax tonight because I feel sick.
Despite not doing much revision-wise, I have done some administrative work in my planner and have planned what I hope to complete in the upcoming months.
Maths

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Physics

Spoiler

Psychology

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Monday 22/02/16

First day back at sixth form has been pretty good! My first lesson isn't until after break so before this, I completed a Core 1 January 2008 paper and got 72/75 which is 96%. The marks I lost were due to:
- Misreading a coordinate. Lesson learned? Read the question and diagram properly :tongue:
- Not knowing how to find the 2008th term in the sequence. However, since I had already worked out the value of p, all I needed to do was sub this back into the general formula to work out each term and spot a pattern.

:donut: Psychology was pretty boring because we were learning about cognitive interviews and I had already taught myself this over half term. I think I should stop pre-teaching myself the psychology content...

:donut: Double physics was actually good- our teacher gave us loads of past exam questions on moments which is fab considering I have barely practiced it. I think I understand the topic better now. We have a test on it tomorrow though.

:donut: In maths we got our binomial expansion assessments back and I got 98% YAY!!! :biggrin: I only lost one mark due to not writing an answer in its simplest form. Then we started learning about radians.

:donut: When I got home, I
- Did a bit of revision on sampling methods for psychology. I answered the 'check it' questions from the textbook on post-it notes and stuck these on the pages- which should be quite handy to look at in the future.
- Answered some past exam questions on electricity in preparation for tomorrow's test. I used the 'questions by topic' section of the physicsandmathstutor website which is incredibly useful as it saves me having to read through entire past papers to find certain questions.
- Now i'm going to answer exercise 6A in my C2 textbook, which is basically just converting radians to degrees and vice versa
hey, I'm glad your first day back was pretty good! Just wondering, have you finished stats 1 in maths yet? We've just started core 2 before half term and I have the second half of my stats test tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kate13xox
hey, I'm glad your first day back was pretty good! Just wondering, have you finished stats 1 in maths yet? We've just started core 2 before half term and I have the second half of my stats test tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I have nearly finished stats 1, I just need to practice chapter 8 and learn chapter 9. How are you finding stats?
We started core 2 after christmas but we still have loads to do
Hey, I have nearly finished stats 1, I just need to practice chapter 8 and learn chapter 9. How are you finding stats?
We started core 2 after christmas but we still have loads to do

I find stats pretty hard but I think I'm starting to get to grips with it. I think stats is a bit of a you either get it or you don't. But I think I'm nearly there haha. The test was terrible tho😩 we've barely done any core 2 and I already hate it. I want to drop maths before A2 definitely hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kate13xox
I find stats pretty hard but I think I'm starting to get to grips with it. I think stats is a bit of a you either get it or you don't. But I think I'm nearly there haha. The test was terrible tho😩 we've barely done any core 2 and I already hate it. I want to drop maths before A2 definitely hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awh I find stats okay but I don't like the venn diagram stuff. And I hated core 2 when we started it but now its not so bad
Tuesday 23/02/16

Hello! Today has been rather uneventful.
:donut: Lessons:
- Maths - We got taught the beginning of S1 chapter 8 but guess who has already taught it to themselves? :hide:
- Physics - Our electricity test has been postponed again to Thursday. Instead, we marked our electricity workbooks and I got a B. Made so many silly mistakes and missed out key info.
- Free period - Revised for mechanics test by doing past exam questions
- Psychology - Did a multiple choice question test and got a B. Was disappointed at first, but you know what, does this one grade really matter? No. Can I learn from where I went wrong and improve? Yes. Then we started learning about attachment.
- Physics - Did our mechanics test (moments, vectors) and I think i've done pretty bad. Most of the questions were wordy rather than numerical and I didn't understand what they were asking/on about.
:donut: When I got home:
I answered exercise 8B from my Stats 1 textbook and answered exercise 6A and a bit of 6B from my Core 2 textbook. I'll answer more of 6B tomorrow in my free periods.

exam-success-as-study-motivation.jpg

Here is a nice picture/quote that I think we all need to remind ourselves and bare in mind.
Wednesday 24/02/16

I overslept this morning so didn't get any revision done. In maths we learnt how to find the area of a sector except the questions aren't that simple- you have to apply circle and triangle rules and use different formulas to find different lengths and angles before you can even find the area of the sector. I hate this radians chapter so much. I'll do some past exam questions on it tomorrow and hopefully i'll get used to it. I guess the fact that I had an Italian rap song stuck in my head didn't help.
In maths (stats) later we answered questions on finding the estimated mean and variance.
When I got home, I finally made notes on minority influence for psychology and then attempted some more radians questions but I am too tired.
Thursday 25/02/16
Have been rather productive today.
:donut:Lessons:
Maths: We did some exam question practice on 'radians and their applications'. For some reason, I find exam questions much easier to understand than the questions in the textbook. The textbook tends to over-complicate things a lot.
Physics: We did the electricity 'current and resistance' test which wasn't too bad.
Tutor: Learnt about extremism and radicalisation. My friend thinks i'm being radicalised (?!)

:donut: Self study:
Maths: I finished all of the exam questions on radians that our teacher gave us. I still need to do the assessment though, but i'll do that at the weekend.
Maths: Was going to do all of exercise 8D of S1 but finding E(X) and Var (X) is fairly straightforward so I just did a couple of the questions.
Physics: Recapped quantum phenomena and jotted down what I can remember about each sub-topic. I'll answer some past exam questions next week.
Psychology: Made an essay flashcard on cognitive interviews for eyewitness testimonies. On Tuesday we are going to do a timed essay on it.

Also, we got given our exam timetables today. My first exam is in 80 days (eek!! :eek3: ) on the 16th May and it will be for psychology. I have 7 exams this summer, which is nice, compared to the 24 exams I had last year in year 11!
Reply 52
Hi was wondering if you knew anything about the cognitive approach in psychology:smile: i'm currently looking at computational and theoretical models but have no idea of what they are/ examples i could use
Original post by RGPunt
Hi was wondering if you knew anything about the cognitive approach in psychology:smile: i'm currently looking at computational and theoretical models but have no idea of what they are/ examples i could use

Hi, the theoretical models are based on an 'information processing approach' which basically suggests that information flows through the cognitive system in a series of stages that include input, storage and retrieval.

The computer models suggest that the mind can be compared to a computer and there are similarities in the way that information is processed in the two of these. This is due to the concepts of coding (if you have done the memory topic you'll understand) and the use of stores to hold information.

I hope i've helped :smile:
Reply 54
Thank you this really helps!
Friday 26/02/16

Another school week over with!
:donut:Lessons:
Double psych: We did a mini test on social influence & minority influence and somehow I got 11/15 despite doing no revision. Well, i made the notes on the topic but I hadn't read over them much afterwards. Then we learnt about how minorities can cause social change. We are starting psychopathology next week YAY!

:donut:Self study:
Maths: I did the Core 1 June 2011 paper for the second time and I got 71/75 aka 95%. I got tripped up by the sequences question.
Maths: I answered exercise 8E in the S1 textbook. The remaining exercises are just mixed exercises so that means I have practically finished chapter 8 now. Only chapter 9 left to go!
Physics: I was going to do some waves revision. I ended up just reading over mind maps that I made a few months ago (that early determination :colone:) and browsing some past exam questions and was like nah son.

Random(?!) thought: Since I dropped chemistry after Christmas, this means that I am now only doing 3 AS levels. I am thinking of either self teaching some of further maths and then doing an AS in it next year, or teaching myself a bit of french (I did it at gcse but have forgotten a lot of the vocabulary) or teaching myself some greek (which I have been meaning to do since last September). I don't want to do an AS in either of the languages but it would be nice to be studying something extra. I could try to do all three... Maybe two hours of learning FP1 each week, and then an hour for each language?
Random(?!) thought: Since I dropped chemistry after Christmas, this means that I am now only doing 3 AS levels. I am thinking of either self teaching some of further maths and then doing an AS in it next year, or teaching myself a bit of french (I did it at gcse but have forgotten a lot of the vocabulary) or teaching myself some greek (which I have been meaning to do since last September). I don't want to do an AS in either of the languages but it would be nice to be studying something extra. I could try to do all three... Maybe two hours of learning FP1 each week, and then an hour for each language?

I've been planning on doing further maths next year myself to have a fourth subject I can do. You've worded it in a way which suggests you'd have to teach yourself the content, so I'm curious as to what modules you'd be interested in doing?

Also you can learn a language quite gradually if you just put a bit of time every day into it so I'd say do all three things :h:
I've been planning on doing further maths next year myself to have a fourth subject I can do. You've worded it in a way which suggests you'd have to teach yourself the content, so I'm curious as to what modules you'd be interested in doing?

Also you can learn a language quite gradually if you just put a bit of time every day into it so I'd say do all three things :h:

Well, my sixth form do offer it but I don't know whether to officially take it (ie have timetabled lessons for it) or somehow persuade my head of year to trust me to self teach it and still be registered for the exams. If I did it at sixth form, I would be doing FP1, D1 and D2. I think thats the modules they do anyway :tongue:. If I self-taught it, I would probably do FP1, D1 and S2.
The only issue with self teaching it is that one of my current maths teachers is also the further maths teacher and he will probably be 'offended' if I choose to teach it myself rather than have him teach me! At the same time though, I kinda don't fancy being in a class full of year 12s next year when i'll be in year 13
Well, my sixth form do offer it but I don't know whether to officially take it (ie have timetabled lessons for it) or somehow persuade my head of year to trust me to self teach it and still be registered for the exams. If I did it at sixth form, I would be doing FP1, D1 and D2. I think thats the modules they do anyway :tongue:. If I self-taught it, I would probably do FP1, D1 and S2.
The only issue with self teaching it is that one of my current maths teachers is also the further maths teacher and he will probably be 'offended' if I choose to teach it myself rather than have him teach me! At the same time though, I kinda don't fancy being in a class full of year 12s next year when i'll be in year 13

I wouldn't worry about the year 12s, at my school my year just ignores the year 13s that are in their classes. So if you keep a 'low-profile' you should be fine. :yy:
Also it would probably help, even if you didn't want to attend classes with the year 12s, to have an arrangement with your teacher so that you can get work and assistance when you need it.

The modules I'd definitely take are FP1 and M1 but because I'll be in Year 13 I'll have some flexibility over my third module. I'm thinking of doing D2 but I know (because there's a girl in Year 13 that does it) that you can do FP3 without knowing everything from FP1. So my plan is to teach myself all of D1 (as we do it as part of our regular Maths A level) and the FP3 relevant parts of FP1 over the Summer so that I'm doing seven modules but I'm only learning six of them.
I wouldn't worry about the year 12s, at my school my year just ignores the year 13s that are in their classes. So if you keep a 'low-profile' you should be fine. :yy:
Also it would probably help, even if you didn't want to attend classes with the year 12s, to have an arrangement with your teacher so that you can get work and assistance when you need it.

The modules I'd definitely take are FP1 and M1 but because I'll be in Year 13 I'll have some flexibility over my third module. I'm thinking of doing D2 but I know (because there's a girl in Year 13 that does it) that you can do FP3 without knowing everything from FP1. So my plan is to teach myself all of D1 (as we do it as part of our regular Maths A level) and the FP3 relevant parts of FP1 over the Summer so that I'm doing seven modules but I'm only learning six of them.

Ah okay yeah if I do it next year then i'll probably have classes for it :smile:
But i might teach myself some of FP1 in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending