The Student Room Group

Spanish - does it matter?

I am currently studying Spanish for my upcoming GCSE's. I have no desire to pursue foreign languages in the future as my true passion lies in English (if you're wondering why I have taken it, it was compulsory)

I have just received my predicted grades and unsurprisingly, I am predicted to attain a G in Spanish. Although this is upsetting, I feel that it is necessary for me to focus on improving my performance in core subjects such as Maths and Science as although I am doing well, there is room for improvement.

Will the failure of my Spanish GCSE hinder my future career prospects? I would like to eventually join the police force. Thanks for your help in advance.
I got really into learning Spanish and got an A in GCSE when I was younger. I would say that most languages are mostly pointless and no it won't hinder your chances in the police.
Original post by karl pilkington
I got really into learning Spanish and got an A in GCSE when I was younger. I would say that most languages are mostly pointless and no it won't hinder your chances in the police.

I'm fearful that such a low grade will look bad on my police application.
I don't know about the gcse programme but if it's similar to standard grade, you shouldn't have to do a ton of work to at least get a pass, I did a crash higher and got an A so if you're taking it anyway, you might as well put 10 minutes aside some days to revise
Original post by mollycatb
I'm fearful that such a low grade will look bad on my police application.

you could just not declare it also if you end up with a degree they won't care. Also the police would be much more interested in your practical skills and ability to become a good police officer etc they don't care about GCSEs they are largely worthless. My cousin is high in the police and she has a degree but mostly it is about how you perform once in the force.
Original post by Blondie987
I don't know about the gcse programme but if it's similar to standard grade, you shouldn't have to do a ton of work to at least get a pass, I did a crash higher and got an A so if you're taking it anyway, you might as well put 10 minutes aside some days to revise

Every time I revise it feels as though my soul is dying. I hate it so much pal
Every time I revise it feels as though my soul is dying. I hate it so much pal

Well it's up to you, I don't know much about the academic requirements for the police force but I doubt they would reject you for something that minor
Original post by karl pilkington

Would the fact that I had only attained 8 GCSE's (if I fail Spanish) not put me at an immediate disadvantage?
Original post by Blondie987
Well it's up to you, I don't know much about the academic requirements for the police force but I doubt they would reject you for something that minor

Thank you!
Would the fact that I had only attained 8 GCSE's (if I fail Spanish) not put me at an immediate disadvantage?

no they don't even require formal educational requirements unless it is a higher position than constable it would be best to focus on getting a good degree

Quick Reply

Latest