The Student Room Group

Learning Norwegian

Hey!

I'm newly 18, and looking into learning Norwegian as a serious path (long term commitment). I have researched online, but cannot find any real pathway into becoming fluent in the language.

For instance, I have seen alfaskolen one year course which although costs, does seem ideal for full-time study.

Living in London, is there anything im missing or could be recommended? I want the best way of learning it, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by hpiercey3
Hey!

I'm newly 18, and looking into learning Norwegian as a serious path (long term commitment). I have researched online, but cannot find any real pathway into becoming fluent in the language.

For instance, I have seen alfaskolen one year course which although costs, does seem ideal for full-time study.

Living in London, is there anything im missing or could be recommended? I want the best way of learning it, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello! There are lots of ways:

You can go to Norway and either do a one-year Norwegian language course for foreigners at a Norwegian university or university college (click here for an example), or attend a Folkehøgskole (click here for details). I think both of these options are much better than alfaskolen.

Folkeuniversitetet Midt-Norge offer online Norwegian courses. More information on http://learn-norwegian-online.no and http://www.folkeuniversitetet.no/res...ch-id-13015321

The University of Westminster offers evening classes in Norwegian, available to non-students. https://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/professional-and-short-courses/languages/norwegian-evening-language-course

UCL also has Norwegian evening classes available to non-students. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/evening-courses/attend-course/courses-syllabi/norwegian. UCL also does a degree in Norwegian if you're interested.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Hello! There are lots of ways:

You can go to Norway and either do a one-year Norwegian language course for foreigners at a Norwegian university or university college (click here for an example), or attend a Folkehøgskole (click here for details). I think both of these options are much better than alfaskolen.

Folkeuniversitetet Midt-Norge offer online Norwegian courses. More information on http://learn-norwegian-online.no and http://www.folkeuniversitetet.no/res...ch-id-13015321

The University of Westminster offers evening classes in Norwegian, available to non-students. https://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/professional-and-short-courses/languages/norwegian-evening-language-course

UCL also has Norwegian evening classes available to non-students. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/evening-courses/attend-course/courses-syllabi/norwegian. UCL also does a degree in Norwegian if you're interested.

Brilliant, thank you so much I really appreciate it! The links look very interesting, definitely given me something to consider - especially the first one perhaps. :biggrin:

I did see UCL during my research, and whilst I would love to do a degree in Norwegian, would it not require some prior studies such as A Level or qualification equivalents?
Brilliant, thank you so much I really appreciate it! The links look very interesting, definitely given me something to consider - especially the first one perhaps. :biggrin:

I did see UCL during my research, and whilst I would love to do a degree in Norwegian, would it not require some prior studies such as A Level or qualification equivalents?

No problem! I really wanted to go to a Folkehøgskole for a gap year but circumstances got in the way. I think it is the best way to begin learning Norwegian and also have fun at the same time.You don't need an A level or any qualification in Norwegian to do it for a degree, in fact UCL prefer applicants who are beginners.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
No problem! I really wanted to go to a Folkehøgskole for a gap year but circumstances got in the way. I think it is the best way to begin learning Norwegian and also have fun at the same time.You don't need an A level or any qualification in Norwegian to do it for a degree, in fact UCL prefer applicants who are beginners.

Ah yes of course, that is completely understandable. I am visiting Oslo in the summer anyway, so that may be a chance to gather more information on set courses anyway.

Indeed, now that I have looked at Scandinavian Studies BA at UCL, im getting rather excited! Only doubt is that it requires B in English Language, all my GCSEs were good apart from that - plus UCL is not easy to get into. But, thanks for the info I will look into it for next year definitely.
Ah yes of course, that is completely understandable. I am visiting Oslo in the summer anyway, so that may be a chance to gather more information on set courses anyway.

Indeed, now that I have looked at Scandinavian Studies BA at UCL, im getting rather excited! Only doubt is that it requires B in English Language, all my GCSEs were good apart from that - plus UCL is not easy to get into. But, thanks for the info I will look into it for next year definitely.

I got into UCL for Scandinavian Studies with only three GCSEs haha so don't give up on it just because of one bad GCSE grade. Maybe email them and ask about it? There is also a rather big thread here which prospective and current Scandinavian Studies students have been posting in for many years.

Was being nosey and checked your forum profile, you live near me - my aunt works at your school. Awkward. Have you finished your A levels then?
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
I got into UCL for Scandinavian Studies with only three GCSEs haha so don't give up on it just because of one bad GCSE grade. Maybe email them and ask about it? There is also a rather big thread here which prospective and current Scandinavian Studies students have been posting in for many years.

Was being nosey and checked your forum profile, you live near me - my aunt works at your school. Awkward. Have you finished your A levels then?

Really? How many years ago was that now - and yes thats a good idea, shall ask about it no harm in trying. Great thread I will be sure to check it out, gonna get distracted reading that now!

No way haha what a small world we live in :smile: Joys of hertfordshire hey... and nope not yet 1 year left, what are you doing currently? Your profile shows a rather interesting study choice I must say...
Really? How many years ago was that now - and yes thats a good idea, shall ask about it no harm in trying. Great thread I will be sure to check it out, gonna get distracted reading that now!

No way haha what a small world we live in :smile: Joys of hertfordshire hey... and nope not yet 1 year left, what are you doing currently? Your profile shows a rather interesting study choice I must say...

It was 2014 when I got in. I'm doing this atm, for something to do more than anything. I still hope to go to UCL but it's on hold for the moment. Good luck with your A2s!
Reply 8
Original post by Snufkin
It was 2014 when I got in. I'm doing this atm, for something to do more than anything. I still hope to go to UCL but it's on hold for the moment. Good luck with your A2s!

Ah I see, must feel like years ago now, and wow that looks so interesting! Not heard of Circumpolar studies before, but it looks very much something I'd enjoy! So did you choose Nord over a UK university?

Thank you, good luck with your studies also :smile:
You could start using Duolingo to get a head start.

There's probably some good resources on reddit too, as well as people who will answer questions you have if you need help understanding a concept. After a very quick search I found this subreddit which looks useful. It's small but it doesn't look dead so I reckon it would be fine. The sidebar looks like it has loads of great resources too!
Ah I see, must feel like years ago now, and wow that looks so interesting! Not heard of Circumpolar studies before, but it looks very much something I'd enjoy! So did you choose Nord over a UK university?

Thank you, good luck with your studies also :smile:

Oh no, I would much rather go to UCL. I'm doing the Nord course because I can't to to UCL atm (long story).

Quick Reply

Latest