The Student Room Group

Cambridge college's bronze cockerel must go, students say

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403
:laugh:

They'd rather order Mcdonalds tho

standard
Original post by MildredMalone
How can peole bright enough to go to Cambridge come to think in such idiotic SJW ways?

There's a depressingly high amount of SJW-style thinking in Cambridge.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
There's a depressingly high amount of SJW-style thinking in Cambridge.

Yeah

Funny how they get to Cambridge, they think they can bully their colleges around - remove this, tear that down - no respect
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yeah

Funny how they get to Cambridge, they think they can bully their colleges around - remove this, tear that down - no respect

this is what happens when you let the wrong ones in
Give something back that the empire stole even though it was stolen from another empire - The Benin Empire - on the basis that being an empire is an abomination for for some reason.

- social justice warrior logic
Original post by KimKallstrom
Give something back that the empire stole even though it was stolen from another empire - The Benin Empire - on the basis that being an empire is an abomination for for some reason.

I don't really get why it's such an issue :confused:
Why is it that everything to do with the British empire is such an overblown drama filled with double standards.

This is something that should be discussed between to two/three nations involved (the Benin empire extended all the way to Ghana). Not protested by white uni students.

The Met in New York returned some looted things from king tuts tomb back to Egypt. So did France. Why is this particular case causing a **** storm?
Original post by StrawbAri
I don't really get why it's such an issue :confused:
Why is it that everything to do with the British empire is such an overblown drama filled with double standards.

This is something that should be discussed between to two/three nations involved (the Benin empire extended all the way to Ghana). Not protested by white uni students.

The Met in New York returned some looted things from king tuts tomb back to Egypt. So did France. Why is this particular case causing a **** storm?

It is ours now, they should have defended it better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
It is ours now, they should have defended it better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure you'd say that if someone stole your wallet though....

I don't particularly care about the location of the artefacts, just so long as credit is given to whom credit is due. But if the west African government asks for it back then why should it cause such a **** storm? Hardly a case to be protested at Cambridge. It's not as if WA have bad international relations with the UK. We're not enemies

Already happened (my debit card at least) , it was partially my fault as I was **** faced drunk in a city I had never been to before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Already happened (my debit card at least) , it was partially my fault as I was **** faced drunk in a city I had never been to before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You always have an answer don't you :colonhash:
You always have an answer don't you :colonhash:

Yep. That is what makes me so brilliant.

I don't particularly care about the location of the artefacts, just so long as credit is given to whom credit is due. But if the west African government asks for it back then why should it cause such a **** storm? Hardly a case to be protested at Cambridge. It's not as if WA have bad international relations with the UK. We're not enemies

I agree that we should return some (culturally important) artefacts, but only if the country has made great strides to develop itself and help its people. Unfortunately, many leaders in developing countries seem to try to cover up their ineptitude and corruption with campaigns against former colonial powers, which doesn't help anyone, and we should not budge an inch in these cases. Also, I don't think we should encourage students to become mindless SJW warriors, especially ones who have no respect for the college that they are currently being taught at - talk about biting the hand that feeds you - and ones who seem to think that the British Empire was evil, without bothering to contrast it to the masses of much, much worse empires it often replaced.

Also, is there really a unified West African government?
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree that we should return some (culturally important) artefacts, but only if the country has made great strides to develop itself and help its people.

Also, is there really a unified West African government?

Why is that a prequisite? But yeah okay.

No but there's kind of an EU type organisation we have going on. Plus the Benin Kingdom encompassed a lot of WA
Bit of metal to them - don't really see the problem

Wouldn't give a toss either way if the Parthenon Marbles stayed or left the British Museum
Original post by KimKallstrom

"Empire". :teehee:

Original post by Greenlaner
"Empire". :teehee:

Empire! :whip:

Why is that a prequisite? But yeah okay.

No but there's kind of an EU type organisation we have going on. Plus the Benin Kingdom encompassed a lot of WA

What is your definition of a lot, a small patch of land just bigger than Ireland?
What is your definition of a lot, a small patch of land just bigger than Ireland?

It was a lot to us okay :colonhash:

Plus how the **** did the British manage to colonialise Antarctica as well?
(edited 8 years ago)

Think we stuck 'plus everything else as far as the south pole' in for laughs when we claimed the Falkland islands.

There's no colony. It's simply a territorial claim -- one that is only recognised by other States that claim Antarctic territory iirc.

I agree that we should return some (culturally important) artefacts
The problem is where you draw the line. The Prime Minister has given basically the correct answer on this imho. If we start considering claims for things from people with about as much connection with the original use or creation of the artefact as we have (i.e. absolutely zero in most cases), suddenly we've given away the Elgin Marbles, the Koh-i-Noor diamond, and gradually everything else, and we have an empty British Museum, which would be of detriment not only to the country but also to the proper care of the artefacts themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest