The Student Room Group

What is your desired career and why? Plans to get there? Pay?

Scroll to see replies

you should remember that the job market will soon radically change so you may end up doing a job that doesnt exist right now, which i think is incredibly exciting!
Original post by gr8wizard10
i'm faffing about, i have a girlfriend and live quite a happy social life. appreciate the concern :smile:

that being said, i despise travelling with all my bodily emotion.

LOL what a quality bit of trolling. Hats off to you lad :wink:
Original post by under8ed
you should remember that the job market will soon radically change so you may end up doing a job that doesnt exist right now, which i think is incredibly exciting!

What isn't very exciting, though, is that jobs that exist now could disappear by that time.
1. What career (or careers) are you hoping to get into out of uni? I want to work in investment banking. If that fails then I'll be a cybersecurity consultant or a software engineer at a company like Google or Facebook.
2. How will you get there? Internships, spring weeks, projects, attaining high 2:1/1st.
3. What is the pay progression? (grad, mid-career, peak) Not sure but it's quite high.
4. Why did you choose this (or these) career(s) They involve computing and mathematics which are my favorite subjects.
which area of ib? you like computing and maths, cool, so if you say the wrong division now ill know youre saying ib for the sake of it
Original post by welcometoib
which area of ib? you like computing and maths, cool, so if you say the wrong division now ill know youre saying ib for the sake of it

Working as a 'quantitative developer' sounds interesting but I don't think it's a front office role. I don't know much about IB terminology so I didn't mention the role.
Well at the moment I am contemplating in becoming a stripper because I need money and my shitty part time job is not enough.
1. What career (or careers) are you hoping to get into out of uni?
Something in scientific research I hope. Maybe some uni lecturing too
2. How will you get there?
Get a degree in biosciences/chemistry, move onto a PhD after, etc etc
3. What is the pay progression? (grad, mid-career, peak)
Don't really know tbh. Haven't put much thought into that. Guess I know is that I'll have enough :smile:
4. Why did you choose this (or these) career(s)
I have a bit of a messiah complex tbh, I want to do something amazing for the world.

I also want to show my parents that I don't need to be a physician to be successful :colonhash:
1) I want to be a trader (not sure what product yet) or something else in finance (big4 Corp fin, actuarial). Then, I'll retire at 40, do a PGCE and teach maths at school (if I'm lucky, at my current high school).
2) Do lots of extra curricular activities (run econSoc at school, continue volunteering and mentoring, do projects abroad or ICS, continue swimming and enter some competitions, start playing a team sport, get an important role in my future uni's finance society), go to a target uni, apply for every single internship, secure a job offer before graduating with a First. Hopefully it will go to plan.
3) No idea, pay in trading is less than IBD but still amazing. The work life balance is probably a bit better (no all nighters). I
4) I love maths and quantitative work, I'm really interested in the economy and how it affects financial markets, I'm good at analysing data, good at working in a team, I'm developing good leadership skills and I'm good at explaining complex topics in a simple way (for actuarial or consulting work).

Also, I want to be a teacher later on because I'm passionate about maths and want to inspire students to appreciate the importance of maths in real life, which I'll be able to do more effectively if I have already had a quantitative career. Teaching is so rewarding as well- I really like seeing results and helping others to reach their true potential.
Illustration

How will you get there?
Illustration degree

What is the pay progression? Not sure

Why did you choose this (or these) career(s)? Art is life and love.
Original post by Trapz99

3) No idea, pay in trading is less than IBD but still amazing. The work life balance is probably a bit better (no all nighters). .

I wouldn't say pay in trading is less than IBD. Traders can potentially earn a lot more.
Freelance travel/portrait photographer or photojournalist. My dream would be to be successful as a photographer or to work my way up to being a Picture Editor or even Creative Director.

Degree in Photography followed by working as a photographer, internships, assisting photographers, building contacts and client base and creating a decent portfolio.

Pay can range anywhere from £12,000 to £65,000 depending on experience, skill and contacts. I may decide to teach/lecture part time if working freelance isn't enough to support me, or I could go into Clinical Photography with a starting salary of £21,000 to £28,000 progressing with experience. Creative Directors can earn quite a bit more however I'll see how well things go and where life takes me!

I love photography very much, and honestly it's the only thing I can imagine myself doing in the future. Doing something I enjoy is more important to me than earning potential.

Commercial Law. Specifically M&A or Banking and finance (debt/equity) depending on where i train and how i find the practice areas.

University, complete work experience placements such as vacation schemes, first year insight days, open days etc....leverage these on the application form.

What is the pay progression? (grad, mid-career, peak)

pretty decent as a grad tbf, most places in the city have starting salaries at around £42,000, qualification £70,000 and from then on its worked out on a PQE basis but as a senior associate i would expect to be on around £120,000, which will probably stay around that mark unless i am made a salaried partner (lel)

Prior to A level, i had not taken law and was planning on doing a history degree, but through my own research and expereince at A level, i found law to be very intellectually stimulating and requiring good writing skills like history, but it was a more respected and stable degree on the whole. In regards to the career, i enjoy reading The Times and keeping up with commercial matters and so the career seemed perfect, combining my love of business with my love of law. There isnt as much black letter law in commercial lawyering but im sure there are plenty of business and legal concepts for me to get my head round. plus, law is probably the best paying gig someone who isnt the best with numbers can get.

Consulting (or advisory in the Big 4). Possibly working in the middle or back office of a bank, such as in operations or finance (is finance even mid/back office?)

Degree including Economics from a decent university, along with fluency in multiple languages (hopefully, currently fluent in two so far). Degree at my firm choice has a Year in Industry, so hopefully a year's work experience at a bank or consulting firm.
Summer internships and/or work experience, hopefully by using contacts that my relatives have (perks of having relatives working at HSBC and Lloyd's bank)

Graduate salary will probably be in mid 20k or high 20k. Mid career - probably around 50k after quite a few years. Peak, depending on level of promotion can reach 100k or more.
My estimations are probably a bit low...

The idea of travel for consulting seems very appealing, despite the long hours. Working in banking would also be good, however I would prefer to work in departments with more regular hours instead of doing 16 hour days. Also, due to some heavy persuasion from the relatives working in banks, they said that I should seriously look into a career in banking.
Original post by Peppercrunch

(is finance even mid/back office?)

Middle office: Risk, Compliance, Corporate Strategy and Corporate Treasury (generally anything modelling risk, setting firm wide strategy, or maintaining compliance with legislations/regulations)

Back office: Operations, Technology, Core Functions: HR, Finance etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel9998
I wouldn't say pay in trading is less than IBD. Traders can potentially earn a lot more.

That is true in a way- the best traders in a bank definitely earn more than the best in IBD, but the demise of proprietary trading has really pushed down salaries for traders since they are not allowed to take as many risks and are focused on making markets for their clients, which overall generates less profit than prop trading. Overall, there isn't a massive difference in pay compared to IBD from what I've researched but traders do tend to earn less now than they did before the Volcker rule. I still think the job of a trader is really interesting though, which is my primary reason for aspiring to be one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending