The Student Room Group

This is why we need feminism.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/21/man-burns-teenage-pregnant-girlfriend-alive-because-he-didnt-want-to-be-a-father-5710081/

2 women are killed every week in England and Wales by a current or former partner (ONS 2015)

Globally, 1 in 3 women will experience violence at the hands of a male partner.

Don't worry men. I am not saying that male domestic violence doesn't happen. It certainly does. I do not support at all what also happens to males. It is actually exactly why we need feminism. Because if men and women are seen as equal, then men won't be scared to also start reporting and won't have to fear being seen as weak.

--
Home Office figures reveal that on average, 100 women a year and around 30 men a year are killed within a domestic abuse context. Women are almost exclusively killed by men whereas in contrast approximately one third of the men are killed by other men and a little under a third are killed by women against whom they have a documented history of abuse.

More articles:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/08/killing-of-women-by-men-record-database-femicide

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11406253/Nearly-half-of-British-women-killed-by-men-die-at-the-hands-of-partners.html

http://www.domesticviolencelondon.nhs.uk/1-what-is-domestic-violence-/25-domestic-abuse-against-men.html
I'm more worried about the air conditioning being too warm, tbh

That's real sexism
Men are scared to report it because they will most likely be arrested for it.

I haven't seen feminism making strides for the plight of men, probably because it is nothing to do with men. It is all about women's rights by the very definition of the word.
Original post by lahorizon
It is actually exactly why we need feminism. Because if men and women are seen as equal, then men won't be scared to also start reporting and won't have to fear being seen as weak.

And here is the woman from your Guardian article and her views on male feminists.

Hardly as extreme as what the Guardian often publishes... though I am beginning to suspect/hope that they are now trolling...
Reply 5
Domestic violence has got nothing to do with feminism, as it is usually something that arises from traditional culture or using someone's vulnerability to the abuser's advantage, regardless of sex. It is however widely accepted that the majority of the cases are men attacking women. I do find it insulting that people like you take incidences like this and suggest that feminism is necessary. Im all for feminism but only where it is necessary, such as in the Middle East where women's rights are a joke. If you're a real feminist, fight for the women who are genuinely oppressed.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Hardly as extreme as what the Guardian often publishes... though I am beginning to suspect/hope that they are now trolling...

It could be the greatest troll to ever be performed, but I doubt that. Such as this gem.
Original post by under8ed
If you're a real feminist

Don't fall into the fallacy that is the No True Scotsman.
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec
Don't fall into the fallacy that is the No True Scotsman.

Many people think what they say is expressing is feminist views but ultimately creates a distorted view of what it really is. Ultimately, Do Women have equal rights to men in the western world? Yes.
Many people think what they say is expressing is feminist views but ultimately creates a distorted view of what it really is. Ultimately, Do Women have equal rights to men in the western world? Yes.

The trouble is with feminism and all ideologies is that it can be interpreted in many different ways by many different people.
I definitely need feminism in my life to tell me that I, along with the other 90% of men who don't abuse their other halves, that we are just as bad as abusers because we are men.
Original post by DiddyDec
The trouble is with feminism and all ideologies is that it can be interpreted in many different ways by many different people.

Fair enough but this type of argument falls under the 'Anita Sarkeesian' section and is ultimately invalid.
Fair enough but this type of argument falls under the 'Anita Sarkeesian' section and is ultimately invalid.

Oh without a doubt.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I'm more worried about the air conditioning being too warm, tbh

That's real sexism

I'm more worried about men taking up too much space on public transport.
Or the patriarchy forcing women to go into jobs that pay less :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest