The Student Room Group

How do I deal with a housemate who I cannot get on with?

I have a lovely group of housemates; all but one. I have tried so hard to get along with her. I've tried ignoring her shitty attitude, I've tried calling her out on it. I've tried being extra nice to her to help her moods. I've tried not giving a ****. No matter what happens I always end up being the one who loses. It's not just me who feels that way either; my other housemates who I get on with have issues with her too. But because I've tried so hard to get on with her, she mostly won't leave me and one other girl alone; like if she hears you go downstairs, she'll immediately follow. So I can't get away from her, and I have tried to like her, what the feck else can I do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluebird94
I have a lovely group of housemates; all but one. I have tried so hard to get along with her. I've tried ignoring her shitty attitude, I've tried calling her out on it. I've tried being extra nice to her to help her moods. I've tried not giving a ****. No matter what happens I always end up being the one who loses. It's not just me who feels that way either; my other housemates who I get on with have issues with her too. But because I've tried so hard to get on with her, she mostly won't leave me and one other girl alone; like if she hears you go downstairs, she'll immediately follow. So I can't get away from her, and I have tried to like her, what the feck else can I do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

How has she upset you and the other housemates?
What exactly is the problem you have with her? Is she rude or obnoxious? If you don't enjoy her company, I would suggest remaining civil and friendly while spending more time around people of whom you enjoy the company. If she is following you about, maybe she does actually want to be friends with you but is socially awkward? If she just isn't a good person then there's no point in making a fuss either way but she may just be in need of some friends and, it's up to you who you hang about with but there's no point getting upset unless she actually doing anything antagonistic.
Reply 3
How'd you circumvent the swear filter in the first line!? :five:

Don't be a martyr for the cause, head down, get on with your life. If you decide to do anything about it, it should be as a group, not one on one.
Urgh I have a housemate that is so scruffy!

So to make myself happy I just do anything from put salt in his 'wannabe a model' milk shakes.

I have told him so many times to be clean, less noise but hes an ignorant prick.

Now and again I accidentally spray disinfectant on his fruit:colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by MichaelJeeha
How has she upset you and the other housemates?

It's nothing too severe, just basically she'll get a really bad attitude about something out of the blue, and even if it's not to do with me or anyone else she'll get mad at us and have a sort of tantrum. She argues with us at the most random occasions, makes it really awkward, and then if we avoid her company (because we don't want to deal with that) she'll get angry and have a go at us for doing something without her. So we try to include her and then get the attitude off of her again. At one point she'd snap at me every day and I'd be like wtf??! And then she'd get upset like I was the one who'd had a go at her?
Now, I know I'm no saint, I imagine I've done some things that weren't entirely helpful, but I'm constantly in this moral dilemma over whether I should just try to ignore her or try harder to get on with her.
Reply 6
Original post by urbanlocations
Urgh I have a housemate that is so scruffy!

So to make myself happy I just do anything from put salt in his 'wannabe a model' milk shakes.

I have told him so many times to be clean, less noise but hes an ignorant prick.

Now and again I accidentally spray disinfectant on his fruit:colondollar:

Omg this made me laugh! I feel like a little revenge is sometimes healthy hahahaa
It's nothing too severe, just basically she'll get a really bad attitude about something out of the blue, and even if it's not to do with me or anyone else she'll get mad at us and have a sort of tantrum. She argues with us at the most random occasions, makes it really awkward, and then if we avoid her company (because we don't want to deal with that) she'll get angry and have a go at us for doing something without her. So we try to include her and then get the attitude off of her again. At one point she'd snap at me every day and I'd be like wtf??! And then she'd get upset like I was the one who'd had a go at her?
Now, I know I'm no saint, I imagine I've done some things that weren't entirely helpful, but I'm constantly in this moral dilemma over whether I should just try to ignore her or try harder to get on with her.

Is she hot?
Reply 8
Original post by Mimir
How'd you circumvent the swear filter in the first line!? :five:

Don't be a martyr for the cause, head down, get on with your life. If you decide to do anything about it, it should be as a group, not one on one.

I have no idea, weirdly it filtered f - e - c - k instead?? hmm

and I guess but at the same time, I don't want to like gang up on her, I may dislike her somewhat but I struggle to be mean
Reply 9
Original post by Blondie987
What exactly is the problem you have with her? Is she rude or obnoxious? If you don't enjoy her company, I would suggest remaining civil and friendly while spending more time around people of whom you enjoy the company. If she is following you about, maybe she does actually want to be friends with you but is socially awkward? If she just isn't a good person then there's no point in making a fuss either way but she may just be in need of some friends and, it's up to you who you hang about with but there's no point getting upset unless she actually doing anything antagonistic.

She's extremely rude and obnoxious, I think she does want to be friends but like, then she'll have a go at me? And expect me to be ok with that. For like literally nothing. It's so unprovoked, you have to be careful what you say around her because you never know what will make her go off on one. It's hard not to get upset about it because I live with her so I can't avoid her that easily. Also I feel guilty if I try to do stuff without her being involved. I don't want to leave her out but she drives me mad D:
Reply 10
Original post by MichaelJeeha
Is she hot?

omg really -_-
She's extremely rude and obnoxious, I think she does want to be friends but like, then she'll have a go at me? And expect me to be ok with that. For like literally nothing. It's so unprovoked, you have to be careful what you say around her because you never know what will make her go off on one. It's hard not to get upset about it because I live with her so I can't avoid her that easily. Also I feel guilty if I try to do stuff without her being involved. I don't want to leave her out but she drives me mad D:

well, in that case, I think it would be best to ignore her and let her work on her own behaviour, if she questions why you don't want to hang out with her, explain that you don't appreciate the way she treats you and that you're open to being friends but not when you are being insulted
Lure her to Gotham's sewers, face her in a fistfight, break her back and send her to a remote prison in the Middle East from which she's unlikely to escape.
omg really -_-

Yeah, is she?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Blondie987
well, in that case, I think it would be best to ignore her and let her work on her own behaviour, if she questions why you don't want to hang out with her, explain that you don't appreciate the way she treats you and that you're open to being friends but not when you are being insulted

Ok well it's worth a shot! Thank you :smile:
Just ignore her you just need to know is that you can't please everyone.
omg really -_-

I kinda wanna know now too

Move or put up with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg this made me laugh! I feel like a little revenge is sometimes healthy hahahaa

It is very healthy!
You need to have a talk with her without raising your voice. Just stay cool and tell her how you feel about her. As long as your house mate is able to take criticism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending