The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Still waiting for any response from Bristol. Not feeling particularly optimistic about my chances. :erm:
Original post by Cholesta
Yes had the 2 week one at Christmas and the same 4 week one as you plus on the fourth week got another 2 week one apologising.

Omg it's a bit much, isn't it?
Are you still playing the waiting game then?
Original post by tamsinb123
To the people who have recently got offers from Nottingham: how long did it take them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

About 3-4 weeks for my offer to come through.

Edit - I've just realised although my offer is recent, it's probably not as recent as you were asking about. It was just before the Christmas Holiday.
Original post by jra97
Heard several people receiving offers for Nottingham at AAA today. I got an offer at the end of November but for A*AA. Does anyone know why people are getting lower offers? And is it possible that mine could be lowered when I make it my firm or will they be lenient if I get AAA on results day rather than A*AA. Does anyone know anything?

Hi, I've also got an offer from Notts. The lower grade is a way of tempting students of a high calibre to firm Nottingham over somewhere else like KCL who also want A*AA. If you firm it and get AAA they'll definitely still consider you but no one can guarantee you a place if you don't get the grades, it is more likely that they will be lenient if you have firmed them though.
Original post by thepgsboy2016
Omg it's a bit much, isn't it?
Are you still playing the waiting game then?

Yes and it's my son.
Original post by AK201296
Hi, I've also got an offer from Notts. The lower grade is a way of tempting students of a high calibre to firm Nottingham over somewhere else like KCL who also want A*AA. If you firm it and get AAA they'll definitely still consider you but no one can guarantee you a place if you don't get the grades, it is more likely that they will be lenient if you have firmed them though.

I wouldn't be sure about why they are lowering grades. My son got offer of A*AA with 7A* 4As at GCSE (during the death of his dad)
4A's at AS and hoping to get another A at AS as he is fast tracking another A Level
A*A*AA predicted for A level
LNAT 31
Surely he should have had an AAA offer
Reply 2826
I wouldn't be sure about why they are lowering grades. My son got offer of A*AA with 7A* 4As at GCSE (during the death of his dad)
4A's at AS and hoping to get another A at AS as he is fast tracking another A Level
LNAT 31
yeah I agree! They may have been contextual as I also got higher grades and lnat than some who have received AAA
LNAT 31

My prediction is that perhaps if you applied / were given an offer early on it would likely be A*AA as that was standard. But if you applied later (for arguments sake after Christmas) or they only made a decision on your application fairly recently you would be more likely to be given the lowered AAA because they have realised they have rejected too many high calibre students early on or have realised that the standard of this years applicants is lower than normal. Bearing in mind this is just my view I wouldn't take this for fact but merely a view to consider...
Original post by jra97
yeah I agree! They may have been contextual as I also got higher grades and lnat than some who have received AAA

What do you mean by 'contextual'
Reply 2829
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
What do you mean by 'contextual'

Sometimes they view some colleges as 'lower performing'. My teacher told me that Bristol view my college as one of these for some reason and I may get a lower offer and she was right I got an offer of AAB. Not sure if Nottingham do a similar thing or not, just an idea
Reply 2830
My prediction is that perhaps if you applied / were given an offer early on it would likely be A*AA as that was standard. But if you applied later (for arguments sake after Christmas) or they only made a decision on your application fairly recently you would be more likely to be given the lowered AAA because they have realised they have rejected too many high calibre students early on or have realised that the standard of this years applicants is lower than normal. Bearing in mind this is just my view I wouldn't take this for fact but merely a view to consider...

That does sound convincing, as I got my offer back in November and I've heard of lower offers only this week! Praying that's the reason and they're more lenient!!!
Original post by jra97

I know most universities give contextual offers. I suppose that is only fair.
Original post by jra97
That does sound convincing, as I got my offer back in November and I've heard of lower offers only this week! Praying that's the reason and they're more lenient!!!

Someone in the facebook group for notts got a lower offer ages ago
LNAT 31

no offence but it's a bit annoying if you keep screaming about someone losing his dad to get special treatment, clearly he's capable of achieving high grades and they do not see the need to offer a contextual offer on that basis, especially as he has A's in his AS and those who do receive these types of offers are seen as not able to achieve the standard requirements at A2 and the fact that you say he's predicted A*A*AA why would they offer AAA

so yh..
I got an AAA offer from Notts in November...

Given the competition for Law, do you really think any University would be dropping its requirement half-way through the cycle? Or that they are half-witted enough to reject 'high achieving applicants'?
Been waiting for Durham since the 17th of November. Anyone else?:s-smilie:
Original post by Satoshii
no offence but it's a bit annoying if you keep screaming about someone losing his dad to get special treatment, clearly he's capable of achieving high grades and they do not see the need to offer a contextual offer on that basis, especially as he has A's in his AS and those who do receive these types of offers are seen as not able to achieve the standard requirements at A2 and the fact that you say he's predicted A*A*AA why would they offer AAA

so yh..

Bitter much? Lol
Original post by returnmigrant
Given the competition for Law, do you really think any University would be dropping its requirement half-way through the cycle? Or that they are half-witted enough to reject 'high achieving applicants'?

It was an 'if' if you read correctly. Gotten out of the wrong side of bed this morning have we?:biggrin:
Original post by Satoshii

so yh..

By the way he wasn't asking for AAA but someone mentioned that perhaps applicants may be getting AAA offers because they have great grades. I also mentioned if you read my other post that I thought it was fair to have contextual offers for applicants from low performing schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending