The Student Room Group

Feminist cultural hypocrisy

funny how when a male abuses a female all the headlines are 'Abusive husband this, domestic abuse that' of course anyone who does this a scumbag but why is it when males are at the abusive end no emphasis is put on the fact that its a hidden crime that's barely reported, when nowadays we see so much effort into advertising the fact that women are subject to 'silent' abuse

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/newlywed-wife-accused-of-murdering-husband-claimed-he-walked-into-knife-and-pair-had-sex-after-stabbing/ar-BBpPkKN?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignoutmd

look at this article, i guarantee you had this been a man who murdered his wife after a abusive relationship, there would be MUCH more slander, however we now live in a society where we are surrounded by an extremist feminist cult that scream the motto 'you cannot be sexist towards a man' similar to how we are told you cannot be racist towards a white man.

what a joke, had the 'feminists' and i use ' ' because had they really cared about equality they'd campaign about cases like this
Original post by Satoshii
what a joke, had the 'feminists' and i use ' ' because had they really cared about equality they'd campaign about cases like this

Feminists have fought for 100 years for equal rights for men and women and though we may have won a few battles, we haven't won the war yet. This case is proof of that. We want equality. The point that people seem to be missing, however is: we're not just saying men and women should be seen equally in the eyes of the law, we want peace and domestic abuse is not acceptable full stop. We're not focussing on the punishment people get. We're focussing on trying to stop it from happening so they'd be no need to punish anyone. Does that make sense?
Original post by kat.dance10
Feminists have fought for 100 years for equal rights for men and women and though we may have won a few battles, we haven't won the war yet. This case is proof of that. We want equality. The point that people seem to be missing, however is: we're not just saying men and women should be seen equally in the eyes of the law, we want peace and domestic abuse is not acceptable full stop. We're not focussing on the punishment people get. We're focussing on trying to stop it from happening so they'd be no need to punish anyone. Does that make sense?

Well then you're fools. Sure, in an ideal world there'd be no domestic violence and YES putting things in place to prevent that happening is generally a good idea but you're naive if you think that's the only important thing to focus on.

The point though is that it isn't going to stop and even if one day it did, while it's still going on fair punishment of people who are guilty of it is incredibly important.
Original post by limetang
Well then you're fools. Sure, in an ideal world there'd be no domestic violence and YES putting things in place to prevent that happening is generally a good idea but you're naive if you think that's the only important thing to focus on.

The point though is that it isn't going to stop and even if one day it did, while it's still going on fair punishment of people who are guilty of it is incredibly important.

I'm not saying that it's the only important thing to focus. Of course there are other things that need to be worked on but this is a small part of a bigger movement that will allow people to live freely, without restrictions, and most importantly feel safe in their environment.

I agree with you, it will probably never stop, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to prevent it. In 2001/2002, 81% (of a total 635,000) of domestic abuse incidents featured the women as the victim. By 2010, that figure was reduced to 60% and the estimated number of cases has also decreased. What does this mean? Yes, a larger proportion of victims are male but all the work put into preventing domestic abuse must be doing something. There are fewer cases, more people reporting to the police and much more support available for victims. I'll admit, there is more support set up particularly for women but organisations set up primarily for men to receive support and feminists should support these groups too.
Reply 4
I'm not saying that it's the only important thing to focus. Of course there are other things that need to be worked on but this is a small part of a bigger movement that will allow people to live freely, without restrictions, and most importantly feel safe in their environment.

I agree with you, it will probably never stop, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to prevent it. In 2001/2002, 81% (of a total 635,000) of domestic abuse incidents featured the women as the victim. By 2010, that figure was reduced to 60% and the estimated number of cases has also decreased. What does this mean? Yes, a larger proportion of victims are male but all the work put into preventing domestic abuse must be doing something. There are fewer cases, more people reporting to the police and much more support available for victims. I'll admit, there is more support set up particularly for women but organisations set up primarily for men to receive support and feminists should support these groups too.

What was the estimated Number of cases in 2010? It seems like an important thing to include in this discussion.
Reply 5
Original post by joecphillips
What was the estimated Number of cases in 2010? It seems like an important thing to include in this discussion.

From what I can remember, it was just under 400,000
Reply 7
From what I can remember, it was just under 400,000

That would mean that violence against men is increasing.
40% of 400000 is 160,000
19% of 635000 is 120,650

That would be almost a 33% increase.
Original post by Synonym

I wasn't aware this was the LAD Bible comment section
It is unfortunate that the other half of the population fails to get much recognition. If anyone has the best case for calling it "silent abuse", it's the male victims. The immensely disproportionate funding is another crime in itself.

How many ad campaigns are there showing male victims? How many times is this called a women's issue?

Evening bringing up male victims will get you squawked at for trying to "turn it into a contest" or for 'belittling' women survivors. Think men should get some attention too? Well, you're just a misogynistic MRA!
Deary me this forum attracts strange people. There is a disturbing obsession that numerous men on this forum have with feminism. It's really quite weird.

Unfortunately the actions of feminists have backed up what you say. Feminists have protested for women's rights for the past 100 years and continue to fight for women's rights, whilst remaining blissfully ignorant of men's disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending