The Student Room Group

Final year project in a cloud computing area? And what background is needed?

I have no idea whatsoever about the standard that good final year projects would be at. But would a research project in a cloud computing area be a reasonable project to undertake?

I guess it could be something related to cloud security or perhaps a cloud based app. or would it need to be more complex that this?

What would be the main backgrounds required to work on a project involving the cloud? Such as programming knowledge etc???

Any advice appreciated.
bump
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
bump

Have a look on Amazon for some books on the topic. Many let you preview their tables of content - this should give you an idea!
Original post by Jooooshy
Have a look on Amazon for some books on the topic. Many let you preview their tables of content - this should give you an idea!

good idea. Failing that I've an entire library at my disposal, no more than a few hundred meters away. Internet has become a bit of a first resort for me I guess.
good idea. Failing that I've an entire library at my disposal, no more than a few hundred meters away. Internet has become a bit of a first resort for me I guess.

It sounds like it has the potential to be really interesting. You mention it's a research project - does it have to be original work?
It sounds like it has the potential to be really interesting. You mention it's a research project - does it have to be original work?

That might be a problem actually. I'm a NatSci student, my final year project states it needs to be a research project. In contrast, the compSci final year project doesn't mention research, just that they work on an individual project. I'll have to find out more about what the natSci project is required to consist of as I doubt I would be at the level to undertake an original project in cloud computing.

It states that the project can involve the "...development of a piece of equipment and/or software..." among other types of projects. I'm unsure whether research needs to be original or not, the description of the project module never once mentions 'original', though it does mention research a few times and states there must be "independent scientific analysis'.

Hopefully it is just the wording that is different and I am able to take on a project similar to the computing students.
(edited 8 years ago)
That might be a problem actually. I'm a NatSci student, my final year project states it needs to be a research project. In contrast, the compSci final year project doesn't mention research, just that they work on an individual project. I'll have to find out more about what the natSci project is required to consist of as I doubt I would be at the level to undertake an original project in cloud computing.

It states that the project can involve the "...development of a piece of equipment and/or software..." among other types of projects. I'm unsure whether research needs to be original or not, the description of the project module never once mentions 'original', though it does mention research a few times and states there must be "independent scientific analysis'.

Hopefully it is just the wording that is different and I am able to take on a project similar to the computing students.

How does choosing a project work? Do you come up with your own title, or do you choose from project proposals that have been put forward by tutors? I'm guessing it would be a much bigger task without a supervisor who is motivated by the kind of stuff you'd be working on.
How does choosing a project work? Do you come up with your own title, or do you choose from project proposals that have been put forward by tutors? I'm guessing it would be a much bigger task without a supervisor who is motivated by the kind of stuff you'd be working on.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. CompSci students either pick their own project or select a preset project. I'll have to meet up with my adviser and find out the exact details I think. I'll keep you updated on what is happening if you wish.
Reply 8
I have no idea whatsoever about the standard that good final year projects would be at. But would a research project in a cloud computing area be a reasonable project to undertake?

I guess it could be something related to cloud security or perhaps a cloud based app. or would it need to be more complex that this?

What would be the main backgrounds required to work on a project involving the cloud? Such as programming knowledge etc???

Any advice appreciated.

I'm currently doing Computer Science and in final year. Although my final year project is not a research based project (it is a design and build project), I suggest you find something that is interesting to you and has a lot of scope for research. You don't want to pick something that is hard to research. Preset projects are generally very interesting but they generally are harder at first because you didn't come up with the initial hypothesis, but eventually you'll understand what is needed.

It really depends on the type of project you will be undertaking. If you decide to just take a research project then programming knowledge is not required. Though, some people do a bit of programming in a research project as it helps them with their results. So it's hard for us to say what background you need because you haven't specified the project topic yet (obviously an interest in cloud computing is an advantage).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending