The Student Room Group

My doctors appointment is today and I am so scared :(

I've had ongoing problems for years, but I have always felt too scared to go to the doctors about it. I always told myself I would never go to the doctors unless I was desperate or suicidal (I have never been suicidal) but several close friends have told me I should make an appointment nevertheless. Today I finally plucked up the courage to make an appointment for this evening and I am terrified. :frown:

I've made a list of all the symptoms I've had to show the doctor, but I feel so nervous, especially since some of the symptoms on the list sound so silly. My mum hasn't exactly been helpful or supportive; she's been telling me that it's likely I'll be put on anti-depressants which she says have really scary side-effects and won't be helpful and is making me feel even more nervous about going. :frown:

Just looking for words of comfort and advice on what to say during my appointment. I feel really nervous, sick and terrible and I'm worried I'm going to cancel the appointment and back out again like I've been doing for so long.
Original post by Anonymous
I've had ongoing problems for years, but I have always felt too scared to go to the doctors about it. I always told myself I would never go to the doctors unless I was desperate or suicidal (I have never been suicidal) but several close friends have told me I should make an appointment nevertheless. Today I finally plucked up the courage to make an appointment for this evening and I am terrified. :frown:

I've made a list of all the symptoms I've had to show the doctor, but I feel so nervous, especially since some of the symptoms on the list sound so silly. My mum hasn't exactly been helpful or supportive; she's been telling me that it's likely I'll be put on anti-depressants which she says have really scary side-effects and won't be helpful and is making me feel even more nervous about going. :frown:

Just looking for words of comfort and advice on what to say during my appointment. I feel really nervous, sick and terrible and I'm worried I'm going to cancel the appointment and back out again like I've been doing for so long.

Hey, in sorry you're feeling like this but trust me, you are making the right decision by going to the doctor. They have all the necessary information and resources to help you beat this problem and you deserve to have a long,happy life without having to concern yourself with depression. Doctors would not prescribe anti depressants if they didn't think they were necessary but you do NOT need to take medication if you feel the side effects (which can be annoying) would be too much or you feel your problem would best be solved another way. Speak to your doctor about therapy and cbt, they are trained to help you with issues like these and they only want what is best for you. As for your depression itself, I'd just like to say that as a fellow sufferer, this problem is temporary and can be beaten, you are stronger than you think you are good luck! :h:

Do not cancel the appointment !! I know your feeling , that's absolutely normal to feel this way, but you really have to go !
Don't think about it too much and just say everything to the doctor :smile: he'll be very helpful you'll see !

You know when the doctor talks about anti-depressants, you can choose to take some or not ! and yeah they have a lot of side-effects (actually I'm totally against them except in case of really really necessity) doing some sport and going out have so much more effects when you feel depressed ^^ (it depends on the kind of depression tho)

Right now just try to relax, do something you like, do not hesitate to talk here on TSR, anyway don't think about the appointment every thing is gonna be fine <3
Original post by Blondie987
Hey, in sorry you're feeling like this but trust me, you are making the right decision by going to the doctor. They have all the necessary information and resources to help you beat this problem and you deserve to have a long,happy life without having to concern yourself with depression. Doctors would not prescribe anti depressants if they didn't think they were necessary but you do NOT need to take medication if you feel the side effects (which can be annoying) would be too much or you feel your problem would best be solved another way. Speak to your doctor about therapy and cbt, they are trained to help you with issues like these and they only want what is best for you. As for your depression itself, I'd just like to say that as a fellow sufferer, this problem is temporary and can be beaten, you are stronger than you think you are good luck! :h:

PRSOM :3
Reply 4

The only person in that room who feels nervous about it or thinks its awks, is you. GPs see this all the time, to them its the norm. I am sure there is nothing on your list which they have not heard several times before.
No, don't cancel your appointment this time. Just go and face your fears. You need just to get through with it.
If dry mouth is scary then you're doomed. As for being scared I know the feeling when I went to the doctor I was so anxious I threw up and hyperventilated. Just let the Doctor know that you've been struggling and need some help you don't have to tell them all your symptoms just say you wrote them all down and hand the sheet over. Remember mental illness makes you feel like you're the only one in the world who is suffering like this. You're not others know your struggle and will be there for you if you let them. Everything you are feeling is normal. Try and keep yourself busy between now and your appointment. If you find yourself worrying about it distract yourself. At the end of the day you are doing the right thing and are now at the beginning of the road to recovery.
You can do this!

And even if you are offered antidepressants, the side effects aren't horrendous and they do go pretty quickly. Plus there's always therapy :smile:
Well done for taking such a big step. There is help out there, and making a list of things to show the doctor is a great idea, in case you feel panicky when you get there and forget things. Do not worry about whether things seem silly - your doctor is there to help you.

There are lots of different anti-depressants - the ones you're most likely to be offered (and you don't have to take them) don't have scary scary side effects (imho). Most common side effects are nausea and dry mouth, and those tend to subside over time. Your doctor will probably also offer you some talking therapy, through IAPS - it may take a little time to get an appointment, but evidence is that talking therapy is very helpful. In some areas you might be offered exercise classes/ swimming/ gym on prescription, as exercise can be helpful. Some people find mindfulness very helpful too.

You really have taken a positive step in deciding to talk to your doctor about how you feel - well done, and I hope things start to improve for you.

The doctor is there to help you through this. Your appointment is a time for you to explain to them what's wrong so they can figure out how to help. They're not there to interview you.

The first thing to do is to tell the doctor how nervous you have been about coming. Take your checklist of symptoms along and just talk him or her through the points - show them the list first if that makes it easier. Then they can identify the main areas to focus on.
oops wrong link just google doc ready

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest