The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

incredibly accurate charges of fundamental particles such as protons and electrons. if this was only a little bit off, then the universe would not exist.
Original post by Kevin:)
incredibly accurate charges of fundamental particles such as protons and electrons. if this was only a little bit off, then the universe would not exist.

According to some scientific theories, the universe as we know it has not existed many many times, in fact an infinite number of times.

If it happens an infinite number of times, the chances of it ending up like this are 100% certain.

Monkeys and typewriters, right?

Hey, but that's only currently a theory. No one's pushing it as something we have to "believe".

Although if you asked me what my chosen "belief" was, I choose infinite number of universe theory. It explains a considerable amount of phenomena. But as of yet, that would only be a belief.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did. Especially the omelette bit :redface:
Not only that, but the potential you describe actually does exist in every form possible, according to parralel/infinite universe theory which I find quite fascinating.

I'm sorry, I forget the actual scientific term for this theory.
Which is the difference between science and religion.

Science people don't insist they're right when a theory is as of yet, unproven.

How is it the saying goes? Scientists don't claim to know everything, but what they do claim to know they can prove. Or something like that.
Original post by mangala
explain what your evidence is

Sounds like another linguistic false start....
Original post by frankieboy
Another point I'd like to make.

If religious cults weren't so intent on telling people how to live their lives in even the most intimate of fashions (for example, contraception, abortion, dietary habits etc.) then I think people would be a lot more accepting of them.

No one would mind the fantasy if it led to people being free and happy. But all it seems to lead to ultimately is misery, oppression, and fear. Bar a few people who are so high on the drug, they somehow feel that the existence of rainbows and bunny rabbits justifies this while blocking out the realities of the darker sides of these organisations.

Why does it often lead to oppression? Because at least at the highest levels, religions are constructed to control people. I don't mean to bang on about women and religion but the point can be seen best in the control of women and girls; dress, value of virginity, FGM, obedience, property laws....

Makes me think that you cannot have a large organisation that has a view on how people should live their lives without it becoming the above.
Hello there. As far as I am concerned there are a lot of scientific evidence said in the Quran 1400 years back which we humans are basically discovering now. One of these I read about is the description of embryo development in human given perfectly in the quran thousands year back. I may not be able to describe it perfectly so I am giving you the link which also has reference. Also know that there are many more such things in the quran its my ignorance i do not know fully

http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Science/embryo.html

Hope this helps :smile: you can find out more in the internet.
I feel like religion is...some kind of essential human essence, it's like everything we naturally want to believe and want to happen, and would assume is reality???? If aliens wanted to understand just how humans are predisposed to being different from every other living thing .... Id show them the Bible etc, as an example of the confusion our self awareness burdens us with.
I think you can never really mix science and God. So I guess there is no scientific evidence.
Original post by leavingthecity
I feel like religion is...some kind of essential human essence, it's like everything we naturally want to believe and want to happen, and would assume is reality???? If aliens wanted to understand just how humans are predisposed to being different from every other living thing .... Id show them the Bible etc, as an example of the confusion our self awareness burdens us with.

It really isn't. Science has provided the answers we need to study and understand the world, even at a very fundamental level.

Besides, why assume god is real?
Original post by jamilarahman
you can find out more in the internet.

You can find out more about how those foolish arguments about the Koran making scientific statements have been exploded many time if you search the TSR site. I'm surprised people still bother to make the claims.
"I believe in Christ like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but by it I can see everything else."

oh just my fave quote from C.S Lewis. :smile:
Original post by TheOpinion
It really isn't. Science has provided the answers we need to study and understand the world, even at a very fundamental level.

Besides, why assume god is real?

No, I mean that religious ideas are a human condition. It seems to develop so naturally wherever there is a vacuum of knowledge.

Anyone new to planet Earth who picked up, say, the Bible, would become quickly familiar with the Human Being.

Noticed that pvaz6965 is no longer on here to make excellent contributions. He has a PhD in astrophysics. Maybe someone's naked religious jelly-like open mollusc feelings were offended by his scientific facts. Not allowed!
Original post by pinkishwhite
"I believe in Christ like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but by it I can see everything else."

oh just my fave quote from C.S Lewis. :smile:

You'll agree that he had a fantastic imagination though???
Original post by ellej93
I think you can never really mix science and God. So I guess there is no scientific evidence.

Not good enough
No, I mean that religious ideas are a human condition. It seems to develop so naturally wherever there is a vacuum of knowledge.

Anyone new to planet Earth who picked up, say, the Bible, would become quickly familiar with the Human Being.

Noticed that pvaz6965 is no longer on here to make excellent contributions. He has a PhD in astrophysics. Maybe someone's naked religious jelly-like open mollusc feelings were offended by his scientific facts. Not allowed!

I get you now. Well, ironically, religion is seemingly a human construct anyway, which is a crazy twist if you ask me.

It is indeed a shame, but TSR blocking freedom of speech is nothing new.
Original post by TheOpinion
I get you now. Well, ironically, religion is seemingly a human construct anyway, which is a crazy twist if you ask me.

It is indeed a shame, but TSR blocking freedom of speech is nothing new.

I reckon being 'offended' is another way to cop out of an argument in which you have no real defence. Never even occurs to me to get offended ugh.
I reckon being 'offended' is another way to cop out of an argument in which you have no real defence. Never even occurs to me to get offended ugh.

"I don't agree with you but have no argument so you offend me". Wouldn't be TSR without such inane logic.
Maybe multiverse theory and the reasons we who believe in science won't argue it to disprove God should be explained to the theist community, would teach them a lot about their own arguments and how to admit it when your evidence just doesn't cut it.

I think it's if it were another constant >h= quantum behaviour would dominate the everyday and <h= no quantum effects in the universe, don't know much about it and am not in a good mood because TSR banned the astrophysics Dr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending