The Student Room Group

The difference of value between a Law degree and a Economics degree.

I've been deciding my A-levels in the past month. I've went from Classics, Computer Science, Mathematics and Music to Mathematics, History, Classics and Law. I want to study Law as it looks a lot more fun than Economics as you will be just fiddling with numbers. I'm both equally skilled at both but I absolutely want to do Law at uni. I do know both subjects are extremely competitive so is it possible if you can tell me what are beneficial in both degrees? I.E. Employment rates, salary, getting a job, etc.
Reply 1
If you do Law and want to become a Lawyer, it is possible to do an "exempting" degree which cuts one year off your LPC. If you choose the right Uni, you can even get funding through your LPC.

Economics is not just numbers. I suggest you read more about it. If you do well at economics, there are many paths open to you but it is less of a conveyor belt than Law where your path would probably be determined largely by the firm where you manage to get a training contract and whether the firm offer you a job.
Original post by nerak99
If you do Law and want to become a Lawyer, it is possible to do an "exempting" degree which cuts one year off your LPC. If you choose the right Uni, you can even get funding through your LPC.

Kind of correct, but your terminology is all wrong.

The LPC is separate to the conversion course non-Law grads have to do - the GDL.

Getting funding for the LPC doesn't depend on what university you attend, but what firm you manage to secure a Training Contract with.
Reply 3
Original post by Callous Twits
Kind of correct, but your terminology is all wrong

The LPC is separate to the conversion course non-Law grads have to do - the GDL.

Getting funding for the LPC doesn't depend on what university you attend, but what firm you manage to secure a Training Contract with.

Actually, I should have been clearer but I was talking about Law degrees and not talking about non law degrees at all. Not all Law degrees are exempting and in general, they only shorten your post graduate qualification rather than "Exempt" you from it.

Northumbria offer an "Exempting" degree (their terminology not mine) which includes the whole LPC as part of a single course starting at Undergraduate level. This means that you can go all the way through to your Training contract starting at 18.The advantage being that you do not have to seek law college funding for your LPC which is a big plus.

The SRA site offers a list of institutions offering "Exempting" courses (the SRAs' terminology not mine).
Original post by nerak99
Actually, I should have been clearer but I was talking about Law degrees and not talking about non law degrees at all. Not all Law degrees are exempting and in general, they only shorten your post graduate qualification rather than "Exempt" you from it.

Most law degrees are QLDs.

You said a QLD "cuts one year off your LPC" - but this is not true. The LPC remains a one-year course (unless accelerated, which is not atypical), regardless of whether one has studied a QLD or not.

Northumbria offer an "Exempting" degree (their terminology not mine) which includes the whole LPC as part of a single course starting at Undergraduate level. This means that you can go all the way through to your Training contract starting at 18.The advantage being that you do not have to seek law college funding for your LPC which is a big plus.

No reputable university offers such a degree.

The SRA site offers a list of institutions offering "Exempting" courses (the SRAs' terminology not mine).

See above.
Original post by Valenska
I've been deciding my A-levels in the past month. I've went from Classics, Computer Science, Mathematics and Music to Mathematics, History, Classics and Law. I want to study Law as it looks a lot more fun than Economics as you will be just fiddling with numbers. I'm both equally skilled at both but I absolutely want to do Law at uni. I do know both subjects are extremely competitive so is it possible if you can tell me what are beneficial in both degrees? I.E. Employment rates, salary, getting a job, etc.

Truthfully, there is not much difference at all between them.

An Econ student can apply for and secure a training contract or pupillage just as much as a Law student can. A Law student can apply and gain offers for investment banking, equity/credit research, asset management careers... The only career blocked off to the Law student would be that of an Economist (which normally requires a Masters and a Bachelors in Economics).

Essentially, neither are vocational degrees and neither qualify you to become part of a profession by themselves. The term 'grad prospects' is largely a function of how good of a candidate you are (as a person/with your CV) rather than any in-built 'edge' given to you via your degree. Case in point, the vast majority of grad jobs are open to students of any discipline. So, whichever you choose research the CAREER you want to go into and how best to get there, don't think about which is 'favourable' or not. Build out a solid CV.

Now what IS different, is how you're assessed and the content of each degree. Law is heavily based on reading, and reading, and reading; then, synthesising your reading into critical and coherent essays that reference different cases for different situations. Econ will be fairly maths heavy, supplemented by essays surrounding economic theory - you'll have some econ history modules, micro/macro, econometrics etc. Quite a varied range of assessment and content. Now the question is: which style do you prefer?
Reply 6

Do you actually want to be a lawyer, or just think it might be quite interesting to study it at uni?

What A-levels are you considering?
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Do you actually want to be a lawyer, or just think it might be quite interesting to study it at uni?

What A-levels are you considering?

They're literally listed out in what you've quoted....
Reply 8
Original post by Speckle
They're literally listed out in what you've quoted....

Ok fair enough, if we assume they "went" to "Mathematics, History, Classics and Law" and that's the current preferred choice...

Spoiler

But it doesn't answer the question about the intended career though, although @Princepieman's answer covers it off anyway :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Callous Twits
Most law degrees are QLDs.

You said a QLD "cuts one year off your LPC" - but this is not true. The LPC remains a one-year course (unless accelerated, which is not atypical), regardless of whether one has studied a QLD or not.

No reputable university offers such a degree.

See above.

You are correct of course, the LPC is a one year course and the two years is where you have to do the conversion course as well.

I am fortunate (as I assume you are) that I went to a prestigious University (unless you are still at the offer stage) however, there are many reasons why people go to Universities that attract comments about whether the University is "reputable" or not. I know a lawyer very well who went through the Northumbria route and currently works in-House on >100K salary having had ten year PQE with one of the worlds top 5 law firms in terms of Average Partner earnings.

I could quote for a long time on the prejudice your comment betrays but I think my best example is Marek Reichman who is Chief Designer for Aston Martin and went to Teesside University. (which also does a Law degree doing well on comparative research studies).

If you are fortunate enough to gain a place at a prestigious University, it is likely that you have been well supported and will gain much from the links you make during your studies but this does not allow you to make pejorative judgements about whether Northumbria (or any other institution) is reputable or not. In fact, it puts a moral duty on you to put such judgements to one side whilst you enjoy the benefits gained by the combination of your ability and the network that nurtured it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I've decided to not coomence a profession in Law. The course sparked interest and the idea of rightfully judging people sound quite appealing. I've read many statistics, facts and talked with two barristers and 3 solicitors. They've told me that the influx of law students just cannot be supplied. 2000-3000 a year was the amount of Law students that are unemployed after 6 months and firms have closed training contacts as they already have a large number of applicants.

Also the cost. The cost of a barrister simply is too high, I vaguely recall but I think you pay a total of 60k without living expenses. Courses are just too expensive and barrister chambers do not fund anything. BPTC as a solicitor describes is just a way to finish off the vulnerable law student who has been stripped from all his/her money due to the massive expenses. The solicitor pathway is contrary to the barrister's because they fund for your courses.

I've looked into different courses and I found PPE. If anyone here knows about it, do you mind telling me the difficulty of the course. What are the chances of a First? Furthermore, do you learn each subject fully as if it were a separate course or just a trimmed down version.
Reply 11
I've decided to not coomence a profession in Law. The course sparked interest and the idea of rightfully judging people sound quite appealing. I've read many statistics, facts and talked with two barristers and 3 solicitors. They've told me that the influx of law students just cannot be supplied. 2000-3000 a year was the amount of Law students that are unemployed after 6 months and firms have closed training contacts as they already have a large number of applicants.

Also the cost. The cost of a barrister simply is too high, I vaguely recall but I think you pay a total of 60k without living expenses. Courses are just too expensive and barrister chambers do not fund anything. BPTC as a solicitor describes is just a way to finish off the vulnerable law student who has been stripped from all his/her money due to the massive expenses. The solicitor pathway is contrary to the barrister's because they fund for your courses.

I've looked into different courses and I found PPE. If anyone here knows about it, do you mind telling me the difficulty of the course. What are the chances of a First? Furthermore, do you learn each subject fully as if it were a separate course or just a trimmed down version.

You need to go to some open days and chat to uni staff.

In the meantime concentrate on your GCSEs and don't get sidetracked by thinking about uni. The A-levels you have picked are fine for most humanities / social science courses.

Quick Reply

Latest