The Student Room Group

What can i do regarding this bus fine?

I don't know if i posted this question in the right place but anyway, today i got fined by a bus inspector because i forgot my 16-18 bus pass at home.:frown:

He didn't even ask for my age but gave me a fine of £40 to pay within 21 days and if not the charge will go up to £80.:frown:

I don't know what to do.:redface:

I know £40 may not sound like a lot, but this is a big deal to me, where am i going to get this money from? parents? NO, they won't give me that amount because they think its ridiculous for them to charge me,a 17-year-old this amount for occidentally forgetting her oyster at home.:redface:

So, what do i do, i literally cant afford to pay this off.:frown:
Reply 1
You'll want to earn this money asap because you don't want to pay even more later on.

Things you may consider doing:

- appeal
- sell some of your stuff you don't really need

Are you sure about your parents? If you're going to show them the amount you have to pay they are more likely to believe you, and perhaps will help you.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/penalties-and-enforcement
**** DA POLICE :bhangra:

On a serious note try appealing-good luck :h:
(1) find a way to pay it -- as above, sell stuff if you can, or tell your parents to stop being stupid (even if it were unreasonable -- which it isn't -- that wouldn't mean you didn't have to pay), or offer to do some work for them or other family members for it or something.

(2) don't do it again

You were on the bus without a pass. What do you expect to happen? What would happen if they just believed everyone who said, 'err, yeah, I do have a ticket, I just don't have it with me...'?
Reply 4
Original post by TimmonaPortella
(1) find a way to pay it -- as above, sell stuff if you can, or tell your parents to stop being stupid (even if it were unreasonable -- which it isn't -- that wouldn't mean you didn't have to pay), or offer to do some work for them or other family members for it or something.

(2) don't do it again

You were on the bus without a pass. What do you expect to happen? What would happen if they just believed everyone who said, 'err, yeah, I do have a ticket, I just don't have it with me...'?

actually they are usually quite forgiving when it comes to these ages... i would forget my pass all the time or my pass would break - never been fined. It is unusual for someone of this age to be fined - might be a pissed off instructor.

Advice: 1. Pay it off - ask parents - they will help you.
2. Appeal - which is what i would do - calling them up explaining the situation multiple times.
You should definitely appeal. TFL are fairly forgiving for things like lost/forgotten cards etc.

And in future, if you forget your oyster, try asking the driver for an unpaid fare notice (they fill out a little slip and give it to you, then you have to phone or go online to pay it within 5 days, but it's just the normal £1.50 fare-if a ticket inspector comes round it's acceptable as a ticket). I work nights and often get one of the first buses home in the morning and have had the bus driver give me one of these before (rather than leave me stranded alone in the dark at 6am because my oyster is out of money) and they knew the ticket inspector was likely to get on a few stops down.
Original post by Blackstarr
I don't know if i posted this question in the right place but anyway, today i got fined by a bus inspector because i forgot my 16-18 bus pass at home.:frown:

He didn't even ask for my age but gave me a fine of £40 to pay within 21 days and if not the charge will go up to £80.:frown:

I don't know what to do.:redface:

I know £40 may not sound like a lot, but this is a big deal to me, where am i going to get this money from? parents? NO, they won't give me that amount because they think its ridiculous for them to charge me,a 17-year-old this amount for occidentally forgetting her oyster at home.:redface:

So, what do i do, i literally cant afford to pay this off.:frown:

If this is how it actually happened then lodge an appeal.
Reply 7
Original post by Impressive
You'll want to earn this money asap because you don't want to pay even more later on.

Things you may consider doing:

- appeal
- sell some of your stuff you don't really need

Are you sure about your parents? If you're going to show them the amount you have to pay they are more likely to believe you, and perhaps will help you.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/penalties-and-enforcement

My parents already know and because of our financial situation, I can't pay the £40 within 21 days.
Reply 8
Original post by Blackstarr
My parents already know and because of our financial situation, I can't pay the £40 within 21 days.

Any friends you can ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by TimmonaPortella

(2) don't do it again

I get what you are saying but I LITERALLY can't pay it off..:frown::frown:
Original post by Charlye
actually they are usually quite forgiving when it comes to these ages... i would forget my pass all the time or my pass would break - never been fined. It is unusual for someone of this age to be fined - might be a pissed off instructor.

Advice: 1. Pay it off - ask parents - they will help you.
2. Appeal - which is what i would do - calling them up explaining the situation multiple times.

I guess that is my only option.
Original post by TheOpinion
If this is how it actually happened then lodge an appeal.

Yeah, I guess so.
Original post by Impressive
Any friends you can ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm...maybe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending