The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zarek
Perhaps because it's relatively rare (I don't say non existent), because men don't suffer the fear of what could happen if they come across a very unpleasant example of the opposite sex and finally because OP was almost certainly taking the piss.

He may very well be taking the piss, but it's still no reason to laugh.
Sure, men are typically physically stronger than women, but that doesn't mean that all are emotionally sound to any unwanted actions committed by the female. If society continues to view sexual harassment and domestic abuse one way, then we'll make no progress towards equalizing gender values and rights.
Reply 121
Original post by Joel 96
He may very well be taking the piss, but it's still no reason to laugh.
Sure, men are typically physically stronger than women, but that doesn't mean that all are emotionally sound to any unwanted actions committed by the female. If society continues to view sexual harassment and domestic abuse one way, then we'll make no progress towards equalizing gender values and rights.

I think we're probably aligned to be honest. I'm not up for women bullying or humiliating men and I am not laughing, just pushing back on someone who was pretty clearly seeking to trivialise a serious issue.
Original post by Zarek
I think we're probably aligned to be honest. I'm not up for women bullying or humiliating men and I am not laughing, just pushing back on someone who was pretty clearly seeking to trivialise a serious issue.

I understand that.
Reply 123
Original post by Joel 96
First few replies to the OP just shows how much sexual harassment towards men isn't taken as a serious topic.

yeah i hate to break it to you but the vast majority of people wouldn't take this seriously if it was a girl either, it's just a slap on the ass get over it
Original post by p1xie
yeah i hate to break it to you but the vast majority of people wouldn't take this seriously if it was a girl either, it's just a slap on the ass get over it

The only thing you're breaking to me is the notion that everyone loves a slap on the arse. Well, sorry, not everyone does. I prefer to slap my own arse, thanks.
Reply 125
Original post by Joel 96
The only thing you're breaking to me is the notion that everyone loves a slap on the arse. Well, sorry, not everyone does. I prefer to slap my own arse, thanks.

I never said i liked it, let alone anyone else, it is just a totally ridiculous thing to be so upset about you would even consider going to the police.
Original post by p1xie
I never said i liked it, let alone anyone else, it is just a totally ridiculous thing to be so upset about you would even consider going to the police.

I personally wouldn't get the fussed over it, but people do. By law, it violates the 2010 Equality Act, and therefore they can make a claim.
I know this is probably a troll thread, but seriously, I wouldn't report someone for something so trivial.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I know this is probably a troll thread, but seriously, I wouldn't report someone for something so trivial.

Neither would I but they should have the option to report it. @PQ has advised the OP.
Original post by Chief Wiggum

that is what your abuser is relying upon... they thrive on secrecy and shame :yep:
Original post by Joel 96
I personally wouldn't get the fussed over it, but people do. By law, it violates the 2010 Equality Act, and therefore they can make a claim.

You suggested that if it was a woman people would be making a lot more of a fuss about it, and would be more supportive to the OP. But you are wrong, if you had an ounce of sense (or experience with clubbing, or even contact with girls who go clubbing) then you'd know that every single girl has her arse groped on a night out. Fat or thin, hot or plain. It happens to everyone. And we do not make a massive fuss out of it. It happens to all of us.

So get a grip, your whole "gender hypocrisy" moaning is completely erroneous in this instance.

Good day sir.
Original post by Twinpeaks
You suggested that if it was a woman people would be making a lot more of a fuss about it, and would be more supportive to the OP. But you are wrong, if you had an ounce of sense (or experience with clubbing, or even contact with girls who go clubbing) then you'd know that every single girl has her arse groped on a night out. Fat or thin, hot or plain. It happens to everyone. And we do not make a massive fuss out of it. It happens to all of us.

So get a grip, your whole "gender hypocrisy" moaning is completely erroneous in this instance.

Good day sir.

Excuse me, I wasn't solely talking about the instance of women who go clubbing. I was speaking about sexual harassment cases in general.
It's a well known fact that men are more scrutinized when it comes to cases like sexual harassment.

Okay, sure, sexual harassment is very big in nightclubs, but that doesn't make it legal. The claims that people make shows that not everyone is comfortable with it, so you can stop talking like you know every single girl's mentality and preference.
go home and sleep
Original post by Joel 96
Excuse me, I wasn't solely talking about the instance of women who go clubbing. I was speaking about sexual harassment cases in general.
It's a well known fact that men are more scrutinized when it comes to cases like sexual harassment.

Okay, sure, sexual harassment is very big in nightclubs, but that doesn't make it legal. The claims that people make shows that not everyone is comfortable with it, so you can stop talking like you know every single girl's mentality and preference.

The thread was in the context of clubbing, you said that if this thread was about a girl, then the responses would be completely different....

Or did you mean to say if this thread was about a girl and a different context then the responses would be completely different?

Stop backtracking, it is embarrassing. You are embarrassing yourself.
The thread was in the context of clubbing, you said that if this thread was about a girl, then the responses would be completely different....

First few replies to the OP just shows how much sexual harassment towards men isn't taken as a serious topic.

That was my initial comment. I specifically noted my dismay with the responses to the thread. Unless you can quote me, I never made a comment regarding women until you brought it up.

Stop backtracking, it is embarrassing. You are embarrassing yourself.

Saying that I'm embarrassing myself is not an argument.

The fact remains that you generalized women who go clubbing by saying "we do not make a massive fuss out of it. It happens to all of us".
> Implying that because some women don't mind it, everyone doesn't mind it. It's just inferior logic that causes problems.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96

That was my initial comment. I specifically noted my dismay with the responses to the thread. Unless you can quote me, I never made a comment regarding women until you brought it up.

Saying that I'm embarrassing myself is not an argument.

The fact remains that you generalized women who go clubbing by saying "we do not make a massive fuss out of it. It happens to all of us".
> Implying that because some women don't mind it, everyone doesn't mind it. It's just inferior logic that causes problems.

Since when did I insinuate that calling you embarrassing was an argument? It was merely an observation.

You also generalised and said that a lot of us would provide different responses if the OP was a woman. So stop being hypocritical. You know you were wrong, hence the back tracking. It's well known that male sexual harassment and abuse is not taken as seriously as female sexual abuse and harassment, but your suggestion that responses to a thread about having ones arse slapped in a club will be completely different if the OP were a woman is wrong.

Unambiguously wrong, so deal with it. Stop back tracking.

You also generalised and said that a lot of us would provide different responses if the OP was a woman.

Quote me.

You know you were wrong, hence the back tracking.

You may want to check the definition of backtracking. I'm simply responding to everything you're throwing at me.
I've asked you to quote me already, and you haven't. You're putting words in my mouth; you did it right from the start and I don't understand why.

It's well known that male sexual harassment and abuse is not taken as seriously as female sexual abuse and harassment

Correct.

but your suggestion that responses to a thread about having ones arse slapped in a club will be completely different if the OP were a woman is wrong

If you continue to make these things up, I'm done.
Original post by Joel 96
Quote me.

You may want to check the definition of backtracking. I'm simply responding to everything you're throwing at me.
I've asked you to quote me already, and you haven't. You're putting words in my mouth; you did it right from the start and I don't understand why.

Correct.

If you continue to make these things up, I'm done.

"First few replies to the OP just shows how much sexual harassment towards men isn't taken as a serious topic."

The first few replies all specifically relate to OPs described incident of an arse slap during a night out, in a club.

The fact that you included the phrase "sexual harassment towards men" makes salient the issue of gender. You did not say sexual harassment in general, but only that directed towards men. Therefore you were highlighting the difference in reactions evoked by male and female harassment. The specific replies as I said, were on the issue (or non-issue) of an arse slap on a night out. As I said, if the first few replies were in response to a more serious issue experienced by a male, then you'd have a point. But as it isn't, as it's about much more trivial topic, you unfortunately my friend do not.

You can't complain about the issue of male sexual harassment not being taken seriously regarding a topic which is not taken seriously for both genders, and within reason.

You should've been done ages ago mate.

The first few replies all specifically relate to OPs described incident of an arse slap during a night out, in a club.

"Well that clearly never happened."

"yeah you wish"

"Quality thread !!"

These are just a few of the responses I was referring to.

The fact that you included the phrase "sexual harassment towards men" makes salient the issue of gender.

And there IS an issue of gender. You even said it yourself, but let me go back to this comment:
"your suggestion that responses to a thread about having ones arse slapped in a club will be completely different if the OP were a woman is wrong"
Of course the responses would be different. People wouldn't go "quality thread" or immediately dismiss the possibility of any situation like this ever happening.

"It's well known that male sexual harassment and abuse is not taken as seriously as female sexual abuse and harassment"
Telling me I'm wrong is a full-on contradiction to what you've already said.

But as it isn't, as it's about much more trivial topic

Some people take it more seriously. What ever you consider a "more serious issue" is subjective. From the statistics of sexual harassment cases, we can conclude that it is not an issue worth being made fun of. If you're going to dismiss ass slaps, then where does it end? Sexual harassment doesn't have barriers, I'm afraid. It just sounds to me like you're trying to legalize that sort of thing, and that worries me.

You can't complain about the issue of male sexual harassment not being taken seriously regarding a topic which is not taken seriously for both genders, and within reason.

People take it seriously.

You should've been done ages ago mate.

I appreciate the tone, thanks.

FYI: You also generalised and said that a lot of us would provide different responses if the OP was a woman
Speaking of a majority isn't generalizing.
Original post by Joel 96
"Well that clearly never happened."

"yeah you wish"

"Quality thread !!"

These are just a few of the responses I was referring to.

And there IS an issue of gender. You even said it yourself, but let me go back to this comment:
"your suggestion that responses to a thread about having ones arse slapped in a club will be completely different if the OP were a woman is wrong"
Of course the responses would be different. People wouldn't go "quality thread" or immediately dismiss the possibility of any situation like this ever happening.

"It's well known that male sexual harassment and abuse is not taken as seriously as female sexual abuse and harassment"
Telling me I'm wrong is a full-on contradiction to what you've already said.

Some people take it more seriously. What ever you consider a "more serious issue" is subjective. From the statistics of sexual harassment cases, we can conclude that it is not an issue worth being made fun of. If you're going to dismiss ass slaps, then where does it end? Sexual harassment doesn't have barriers, I'm afraid. It just sounds to me like you're trying to legalize that sort of thing, and that worries me.

People take it seriously.

I appreciate the tone, thanks.

FYI: You also generalised and said that a lot of us would provide different responses if the OP was a woman
Speaking of a majority isn't generalizing.

You can't grasp the obvious here mate, I can't make it any more clear. Come back when you gain a few IQ points which will allow for some higher level reasoning, because you simply aren't linking what I'm saying. Maybe read my post again, carefully this time. Or otherwise, do not waste my time in replying.

And speaking for a majority is the epitome of generalising. Report me all you like but you are being so idiotic I feel like slamming my head against the wall. For the last time, good day sir.

Latest