The Student Room Group

Do Extra-Curricular Qualifications Help When Applying?

I'm hoping to go to Cambridge, its only 'hoping' right now, but I should get the right grades, so we'll see. I was wondering whether, when applying, they take into account extra-curricular qualifications. For example, I have Grade 8 Piano and was also signed to a reasonably high profile EDM record label for a couple of years from Feb 2014 - Nov 2015. Would this help in sticking out as a potential candidate as it showcases ability to be dedicated in multiple areas? Just wondering!
Original post by Archie Taylor
I'm hoping to go to Cambridge, its only 'hoping' right now, but I should get the right grades, so we'll see. I was wondering whether, when applying, they take into account extra-curricular qualifications. For example, I have Grade 8 Piano and was also signed to a reasonably high profile EDM record label for a couple of years from Feb 2014 - Nov 2015. Would this help in sticking out as a potential candidate as it showcases ability to be dedicated in multiple areas? Just wondering!

No. They want someone gifted in the subject they are applying for. Anything else is pretty irrelevant, although that isn't to deny the achievement.
Reply 2
From talking to an ex-Cambridge student the advice I was given was to put anything on your PS that shows a level of dedication and commitment that might separate you from students with similar A level grades. Most music gradings also add to your UCAS points.
Original post by nutz99
From talking to an ex-Cambridge student the advice I was given was to put anything on your PS that shows a level of dedication and commitment that might separate you from students with similar A level grades. Most music gradings also add to your UCAS points.

Cambridge does not care about ucas points.
Extra-curricular not related to the subject you're applying for is irrelevant for Cambridge application. The only thing they're interested in is your ability and potential in your subject.
Original post by Archie Taylor

It maybe somewhat relevant to music (although only Grade 5 Piano is technically required). For anything else it is irrelevant. However, other universities may well care about it.
Original post by vincrows
Cambridge does not care about ucas points.
Extra-curricular not related to the subject you're applying for is irrelevant for Cambridge application. The only thing they're interested in is your ability and potential in your subject.

I agree with this. ECs are important and should be mentioned only if they are directly related to the subject you are applying for.
I don't think so. I wasn't asked at all about my piano in my interview.
Reply 7
Original post by alcibiade
I agree with this. ECs are important and should be mentioned only if they are directly related to the subject you are applying for.

Are you missing a "... not ..."?

:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Are you missing a "... not ..."?

:wink:

LOL, OK, I've got a good editor! YOu are correct. Writing 1010 mistake from a professional writer!

I should have written: "ECs are important - and should be mentioned - only if directly related...."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending