The Student Room Group

IB Course Selections (4HLs??)

So I am choosing courses at the moment for IB, which are due in a few days. I was pretty sure in my choices of HL Eng, HL Econ and HL Art, but my Chinese teacher insists I take B HL Chinese. This leaves me with four HLs, and SL Math and Bio.

I wasn't thinking of taking 4 HLs, but it appears I would have to unless I'm willing to drop one of my other HLs. I heard that an extra HL could mean having a lower overall IB score, but could also be advantageous. I'm not so sure I want to do Chinese HL, but my teacher won't allow me to take SL.

I'm not really sure if I should go with these courses, any thoughts? What level of difficulty is my combination?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
I dont see Chinese to be beneficial except in very few circumstances. What do u wanna study in the future?
Reply 2
Original post by lyamlim97
I dont see Chinese to be beneficial except in very few circumstances. What do u wanna study in the future?

I honestly don't know, and I was thinking the same thing. I suppose it would just be extra unnecessary workload.
Reply 3
Original post by 18lp01
I honestly don't know, and I was thinking the same thing. I suppose it would just be extra unnecessary workload.

I dont know how much workload there is in IB as im doing a levels. Why wont your teacher allow you to do SL chinese tho?
Why won't your teacher allow you? My French teacher really wanted me to take HL French but I just refused. Taking 4 HLs is definitely doable but don't take a class you don't want to
Reply 5
Original post by lyamlim97
I dont know how much workload there is in IB as im doing a levels. Why wont your teacher allow you to do SL chinese tho?

She says it will be too easy for me, and it undermines my language ability. I'm British but of Chinese heritage so it may look bad, and I've been doing Chinese for many years.

Personally I agree that it may be easy for me, possibly an easy 7 for my final grade, but that means spending an extra 100 hours on Chinese HL.
Reply 6
Original post by alexschmalex
Why won't your teacher allow you? My French teacher really wanted me to take HL French but I just refused. Taking 4 HLs is definitely doable but don't take a class you don't want to

Says its too easy, but I'd rather spend more time doing other courses that may be more beneficial anyway. She said she wouldn't sign my paper to take the course if I selected SL :s-smilie:
Original post by 18lp01
Says its too easy, but I'd rather spend more time doing other courses that may be more beneficial anyway. She said she wouldn't sign my paper to take the course if I selected SL :s-smilie:

I'm guessing you're already pretty good at it anyways then? In that case, I'd just explain to her that the other HLs you've chosen are much more important to you and that her forcing you to do an extra HL is just unfair, take it to the year supervisor if you have to imo. It's one thing to prevent a student from doing an HL if they aren't ready but if you are ready for it but just have different priorities, she has no right to dictate your future like that
Reply 8
I'm guessing you're already pretty good at it anyways then? In that case, I'd just explain to her that the other HLs you've chosen are much more important to you and that her forcing you to do an extra HL is just unfair, take it to the year supervisor if you have to imo. It's one thing to prevent a student from doing an HL if they aren't ready but if you are ready for it but just have different priorities, she has no right to dictate your future like that

Yeah I suppose I will have to talk to her again, and if she still persists I can go to the supervisor. I really don't think I can take 4 HLs :redface:

Thank you for helping me think this through haha!
don't take a class you don't want to

that's a redundant statement in IB. everyone hates at least 2 of their subjects. no one can be that "well rounded"
Reply 10
I take 4 HLs . it is alright
A few students in my school had the same problem (I'm in Hong Kong). They purposely performed poorly in the first term and so the teachers had to move them down to SL where they're flourishing. I wouldn't recommend you to do this though but it is an option if you are willing to go to the extreme :tongue:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending