The Student Room Group

Why all work experience is good experience if you want a top graduate job.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jawsontheflooor
How did you get a job as an au pair if you didn't have any experience working with children, surely this is a requirement ?

I'm not sure the French are as fussy with au pairs as they are in England- as it's so ubiquitous there. (Pretty sure French families get tax breaks if they employ au pairs) Don't quote me on that.

Anyway I joined a website and put an advert up- explaining who I am and that I wanted to do something for the summer etc. etc. I was expecting older children and wanted to refine my language skills as well. However, this family came back to me, loved that I was English and we skyped a few times. I think they just thought I would be a good person and trustworthy and they only needed someone for the summer.
Original post by Ethereal World
:ahee:

I'm not that small. I'm just definitely not tall.

I'm sorry for taking your thread so off-topic. :redface:

I do seem to wreak havoc wherever I go. :ahee:
:ahee:

I'm not that small. I'm just definitely not tall.

Maybe. I do have a foot on you, and I don't just mean my dick.
there's recent research showing that for estate agents (probably a job with a many typical grad job characteristics) it's the skills of graduates rather than the oft vaunted 'graduate skills' which count http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/berj.3222/abstract
Original post by like_marmite
Maybe. I do have a foot on you, and I don't just mean my dick.

Marmite can you calm yourself please. This is a serious thread.
Original post by Joinedup
there's recent research showing that for estate agents (probably a job with a many typical grad job characteristics) it's the skills of graduates rather than the oft vaunted 'graduate skills' which count http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/berj.3222/abstract

Will check this out. Thank you. :biggrin:
Marmite can you calm yourself please. This is a serious thread.

Are you saying my footlong Sub has no bearing on the usefulness of work experience?
Original post by like_marmite
Are you saying my footlong Sub has no bearing on the usefulness of work experience?

I'm conflicted now.
Reply 48
Original post by princepieman
solid write up!

Thanks, and i agree with everything you've said here. Formal programmes are great, but, doing unconvential things (i.e. Au pair, fundraising etc) is what can really set you apart! even more important is being able to learn from these experiences and communicate the skills one has gained in doing them across to the interviewer.

prsom
Original post by ethereal world
this.

100%
Original post by jneill
prsom

100%

You basically just This'd my this. :rofl:
Reply 50
You basically just This'd my this. :rofl:

This.

:wink:
I agree that employers like to see real work experience and not just a string of fancy sounding internships, but I don't agree people should do 'different' jobs just for the sake of standing out. Doing a job that interests you and/or is related to the industry you want to work in is, I think, much more important. After all, nobody wants an Au Pair who's more interested in padding their CV than playing with the children!
Original post by Snufkin
I agree that employers like to see real work experience and not just a string of fancy sounding internships, but I don't agree people should do 'different' jobs just for the sake of standing out. Doing a job that interests you and/or is related to the industry you want to work in is, I think, much more important. After all, nobody wants an Au Pair who's more interested in padding their CV than playing with the children!

That is not really what I was saying.

I in fact said that indeed formal internships and directly relevant experience is important, but not to discount other types of seemingly meaningless experience. I.e. I don't need to have done an au pair role or been a waitress to make a good lawyer or management consultant. But growing as a person and having life experience, being able to empathise and understand people can go a long way in the more indirect ways- like how you come across and confidence.

I'm not saying everyone should go and be an au pair either or suggesting any specific ideas- that is just drawing on my personal experience as an example.
(edited 8 years ago)
That is not really what I was saying.

I know what you said. You implied people should do something a bit different because employers notice it more... which is fine if the job interests you, but if it doesn't, you're wasting your time.
x

Really helpful post! REALLY helpful! :h: Thank you for tagging me!

I will get back to your PM soon as well! :kissing2:
Original post by Snufkin
I know what you said. You implied people should do something a bit different because employers notice it more... which is fine if the job interests you, but if it doesn't, you're wasting your time.

I don't believe that you're wasting your time. I can't say being a waitress particularly interested me on an academic or intellectual level. But working with a variety of people and under pressure and knowing how to gauge customers' personalities went a long way in developing me.

I actually didn't say it was because employers notice it more alone as the purpose for this post or telling people it's imperative for anything ever (it isn't- a lot of my friends still did fine without the variety of stuff I've done and following the more formal types of experience so I don't think that at all). I suggested it's actually doing it less for that purpose- as in doing it for yourself and your own individual development and then indirectly you will come across better, be more rounded, and be different.

Also I edited my reply because I submitted it too quickly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for that.

I will apply probably this November for grad schemes I am currently a 2nd year. What tips would you give me? I currently have 3 years work experience at a restaurant, 1 year at a supermarket and 3 weeks at a Mail Centre. Do you think these experiences would be enough? I want to apply for business related roles at Accenture, IBM, Sainsburys and a few others...
I don't believe that you're wasting your time. I can't say being a waitress particularly interested me on an academic or intellectual level. But working with a variety of people and under pressure and knowing how to gauge customers' personalities went a long way in developing me.

I actually didn't say it was because employers notice it more alone as the purpose for this post or telling people it's imperative for anything ever (it isn't- a lot of my friends still did fine without the variety of stuff I've done and following the more formal types of experience so I don't think that at all). I suggested it's actually doing it less for that purpose- as in doing it for yourself and your own individual development and then indirectly you will come across better, be more rounded, and be different.

Also I edited my reply because I submitted it too quickly.

Just to clarify I wasn't talking about you personally. I'm just saying people should, I think, avoid au pairing, teaching English in some god forsaken country, working for a charity or other 'off the wall' jobs unless they themselves find it interesting and want to do it for its own sake. In short, I hope nobody reading this decides to be an au pair just to impress a potential employer.
Original post by Snufkin
Just to clarify I wasn't talking about you personally. I'm just saying people should, I think, avoid au pairing, teaching English in some god forsaken country, working for a charity or other 'off the wall' jobs unless they themselves find it interesting and want to do it for its own sake. In short, I hope nobody reading this decides to be an au pair just to impress a potential employer.

Right okay. Me neither. I hope nobody decides to endure the nightmare of looking after kids because those skills aren't relevant to life AT ALL. :lolwut:
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Thanks for that.

I will apply probably this November for grad schemes I am currently a 2nd year. What tips would you give me? I currently have 3 years work experience at a restaurant, 1 year at a supermarket and 3 weeks at a Mail Centre. Do you think these experiences would be enough? I want to apply for business related roles at Accenture, IBM, Sainsburys and a few others...

Looks like you've had some good work experience yes. How about something more formal in the summer? It might sound like a contradiction to the OP but I guess my overall point would be to have a combination of informal part-time work and formal internships. Can you get a summer placement with a big blue chip that will help you to get into Accenture/IBM?

Also look out for some grad schemes opening in the summer- it's always good to get in early :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending