The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What's it like to study at King's?

Hello there!
I've got an offer to study Classical Archaeology at KCL and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what's it like to study at King's and live in London. How are the accomodations? Are the professors friendly and helpful? I'm worried that I'll just be another student number instead of a real student. How is the atmosphere?
Thanks in advance:smile:
Hey there!
I study English at King's and I'm currently in my second year. I love it here at King's and I think studying in London is one of the best choices you'll make. I live at home, so I can't give you much advice on the accommodation I'm afraid, but don't be restricted to just the King's halls, look at the intercollegiate ones too.
I know in the English Department, all the lecturers are super friendly and love their subjects. They all have two sets of office hours a week where you're free to pop in to see them and discuss anything you want, whether you're struggling to understand something, you want tips for an essay, or you want a chat about next year's modules. They're all available via email too so if you can't make their office hours you can arrange a meeting with them at a local Starbucks or something!
There's lots of on campus hangouts like our cafe, bar and department common rooms but being in London, you're surrounded by loads of cool niche places too where you can meet people. King's also has one of the biggest student unions in London with over 200 societies to choose from, so you'll definitely be able to find one you like the sound of (if not, it's really easy to create your own!) Hope this helps, if you need anything else, feel free to message me again :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ATD111
So I called admissions today to ask them about the progress of my application. The admission officer first asked me for my application number, which I gave him. But he couldn't find my application with that.
So then I gave him my student number, and that's when he was able to retrieve my application.
After he retrieved it, he put me on hold for a minute, and then he was like "A decision has been made on your application" [then he paused, like he was hesitating or trying to find the words to say] and then he added "it should be available to you by the end of the day".

Is it just me or does it look like its a rejection? If my application was successful, he would have at least told me that right? and the fact that he could find my application when I gave him my student number, but not when I gave him my application number, means that my application was "discarded" after being rejected right?

What do you guys think? I'm freaking out here.

Don't freak out. Just wait until UCAS is updated and try and stay calm. Is King's your first choice?
Reply 4
Heyy!
Currently I'm an IB student who is going to make her applications in the beginning of the next year. I have some questions since I really want to get in KCL. I know that its not easy to get 35 from the IB so I was considering to drop IB and apply King's from it's international foundation programme and choose liberal arts or business pathway (I want to study digital culture, business or international development) but I've heard some rumours that passing foundation and continuing in KCL as a first year student is not that common and easy. What should I do any advices or tips??
Original post by ATD111
Yes it is.

Have you heard yet?
Original post by e999
Heyy!
Currently I'm an IB student who is going to make her applications in the beginning of the next year. I have some questions since I really want to get in KCL. I know that its not easy to get 35 from the IB so I was considering to drop IB and apply King's from it's international foundation programme and choose liberal arts or business pathway (I want to study digital culture, business or international development) but I've heard some rumours that passing foundation and continuing in KCL as a first year student is not that common and easy. What should I do any advices or tips??

Hiya,

I'm not an expert on IB or the courses that you've mentioned so it would be hard for me to give you advice. I know plenty of people who did IB before uni which means they must've got 35, so it's not impossible. In all honesty though, no route is going to be easier than the other, they're all going to be difficult. I'd recommend doing a bit of research to see what route would be better for you and which one you could get better grades in. Here's the email for general enquiries: [email protected]. If you want to speak to someone specifically about admissions, email them here: [email protected].
Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Original post by ATD111
I called again to speak to another agent. He said it's true that a decision was made this morning, but it still hasn't appeared because the system was not updated yet. He mentioned the system updates at specific times (i think after like 5 or 7).
I asked him if decisions could be released over the phone, he laughed and said no. He's like "all I can tell you is that the decision was made this morning and you should be able to see it by tonight".

I REALLY think it's a rejection. Especially since I applied on the 29th of january, so it's a very quick decision and I don't really meet the requirements in terms of grades.
Also, he didn't have a very excited tone when he saw on the screen that a decision was made.

it isn't set in stone yet until UCAS updates. You could try ringing UCAS. One of my first offers came through and I couldn't see it, but UCAS told me over the phone.
Original post by ATD111
I don't wanna sound stupid but what exactly is UCAS? I am applying for master's

ahhh ok never mind!
UCAS is the system you apply for undergraduates on, sorry, didn't realise you were postgrad!

Quick Reply

Latest