The Student Room Group

How much should I be earning?

I'm supposedly part time at this place, but my schedule is unclear, and I want to meet the person in charge first, bc there are some complications.

So here it goes for what I have for now:

Work starts at 9am, we clean the place up I have to sweep and wipe the tables, and open at 10am. It's a fancy franchise coffee shop.
I work as a server there, I greet people, clean up the tables, serve drinks, and sometimes man the counter.
Around 2-ish, we have our lunch break, taking turns. Our break lasts about half an hour per person (but honesty its much shorter, since we get out once we finish eating).
Then we have our dinner break around 9-ish. Same thing with the half hour break.
We close at 10pm, and clean up til around almost 11pm.
My job is to sweep and mop the cafe area, and maybe count the money (I've only been working a couple of days)

So how much should I earn a day?
And I'm not job expert, but I'm pretty sure the working hours isn't even humane (esp since we can't really sit down... til our break and so my feet hurts like hell).
Original post by andilzx
I'm supposedly part time at this place, but my schedule is unclear, and I want to meet the person in charge first, bc there are some complications.

So here it goes for what I have for now:

Work starts at 9am, we clean the place up I have to sweep and wipe the tables, and open at 10am. It's a fancy franchise coffee shop.
I work as a server there, I greet people, clean up the tables, serve drinks, and sometimes man the counter.
Around 2-ish, we have our lunch break, taking turns. Our break lasts about half an hour per person (but honesty its much shorter, since we get out once we finish eating).
Then we have our dinner break around 9-ish. Same thing with the half hour break.
We close at 10pm, and clean up til around almost 11pm.
My job is to sweep and mop the cafe area, and maybe count the money (I've only been working a couple of days)

So how much should I earn a day?
And I'm not job expert, but I'm pretty sure the working hours isn't even humane (esp since we can't really sit down... til our break and so my feet hurts like hell).

Sorry to break it to you, but every thing you have said is totally legal. Bar the fact you don't have an 11 hour break between each shift.

How old are you?
Reply 2
Original post by TheOpinion
Sorry to break it to you, but every thing you have said is totally legal. Bar the fact you don't have an 11 hour break between each shift.

How old are you?

18!
How much should I earn from that, anyway?
Reply 3
Original post by andilzx
18!

13 hours at £5.30 = £68.90
Original post by andilzx
18!

Original post by Reue

As Reue said, should be about £5.30 per hour. Minus national insurance and tax, but you will not pay them anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Reue

You mean £68.90 a day?

5.30 of that in my currency is $8.22.

I'm getting paid $12 a day in my currency.

That makes it £7.74 a day.

hmmm
Reply 6
Original post by andilzx
You mean £68.90 a day?

hmmm

Wait, in your currancy?

What country are you working in?
Original post by andilzx
You mean £68.90 a day?

hmmm

Original post by Reue
Wait, in your currancy?

What country are you working in?

American minimum wage is $7.25 and hour

So they should be making around $94.25 a day
Reply 8
Original post by TheOpinion
American minimum wage is $7.25 and hour

So they should be making around $94.25 a day

I live in Brunei, not the US.
Our currency is same as Singapore's.
I guess what concerns me the most is that the hours are really long for a part-time thing? Though I know there's some confusion to that, so I'll have to talk the person in charge when they get back to the country.

He did mention to me through text, that I'd work from 1-10 pm, or 9:30-6:30 pm as part time for 12$ a day. alternating those two time shifts every week, and no day offs as I recall.

And If I went full time, I'd get $350 a month (my currency), and no day offs in the first two weeks of the month, and one day off each week after that.
Original post by andilzx
I guess what concerns me the most is that the hours are really long for a part-time thing? Though I know there's some confusion to that, so I'll have to talk the person in charge when they get back to the country.

He did mention to me through text, that I'd work from 1-10 pm, or 9:30-6:30 pm as part time for 12$ a day. alternating those two time shifts every week, and no day offs as I recall.

And If I went full time, I'd get $350 a month (my currency), and no day offs in the first two weeks of the month, and one day off each week after that.

The laws are very very different, you have no minimum wage so..
Reply 10
Original post by andilzx
I live in Brunei

You should have perhaps mentioned this to begin with..
Reply 11
eheh alright.

do you guys think this is worth it, though?
Original post by andilzx

Sheesh that's long! I think there's a law in the UK that requires you have a certain amount of time off a week and so that wouldn't be legal in the UK.

I'm not sure on your laws or your minimum wage but it sounds like you're working a lot for very little. (Although this suggests it should be higher than what you're being paid! http://www.bt.com.bn/news-national/2015/02/19/new-minimum-wage-filipinos)
Reply 13
Original post by bethwalker85
Sheesh that's long! I think there's a law in the UK that requires you have a certain amount of time off a week and so that wouldn't be legal in the UK.

I'm not sure on your laws or your minimum wage but it sounds like you're working a lot for very little. (Although this suggests it should be higher than what you're being paid! http://www.bt.com.bn/news-national/2015/02/19/new-minimum-wage-filipinos)

hm alright

I'm thinking like this-
The cheapest you can rent a room here is about less than $200.
If I were a full time, say, graduate living on my own, etc, that's 200 of 350 gone.
150 left, and say I have to buy food for grocceries, which would be harder, since I'll need cooking equipment (most home owner's wouldn't allow), and the cheapest meals here are $1 (just rice and a piece of fried chicken and a local sauce, not a huge portion and def not healthy), to $3 (rice, with veges and maybe meat, depends on cheaper resto), and I got to eat 3 times a day (bfast, lunch, din), maybe I'll spend $6-7 a day for food. That's already 210 a month, wow hahaha. And there's bus fees or car fees (bus system here sucks), your phone and phone cards, other necessities if you have your period, basic clothes, etc.
whew, hahahahaa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending