The Student Room Group

Who thinks tuition fees ar BS?

There are thousands of people who end up saddled with heaps of debt. Its disgusting. University degrees mean less and less as so many people have them these days. I really feel sorry for people who take out huge loans to go to uni and then go and work in low paid jobs that they are overqualified for. Unis are just big money making machines now. Its vile!

Scroll to see replies

Nope completely agree with tuition fees. Money needs to come from somewhere and really it should be the student paying for it all as its an opportunity for them. Unis have the right to charge this large amount because of what you are able to do with a degree. Also people going into low paid jobs is down to them actually going out there and finding a company in the first place, go and apply to some companies for summer internships etc which you are interested in.
You have less debt if you get a decent job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't like them... then don't go to uni and don't pay them.

The balance between public and private funding is fairly equal, with 43% private and 57% public in the UK (https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/how-to-balance-public-and-private-contributions-to-higher-education), although depends how you count the government-backed loans.

Seems fair enough to me that individuals should pay some of the costs. After all, they supposedly gain individual benefits from going to university. The question is exactly where the balance should lie.

The other side of the argument is why should other people pay for you to get a degree?
Original post by chazwomaq
If you don't like them... then don't go to uni and don't pay them.

If everyone thought like that no one would be in uni. Everyone knows its overpriced but at the end of the day if someone wants to become a doctor, what other route do they have of taking?
Original post by Elise213
If everyone thought like that no one would be in uni. Everyone knows its overpriced but at the end of the day if someone wants to become a doctor, what other route do they have of taking?

Or perhaps just those going to good universities and studying useful courses would go.

I think the doctors would be fine...
Original post by chazwomaq
Or perhaps just those going to good universities and studying useful courses would go.

I think the doctors would be fine...

I agree, but realistically those who want above average jobs need degrees. The competition out there is sky high. Its hard to beat the system.

Going to university doesn't guarantee anything apart from a huge disgusting debt.
Reply 7
It never made much sense to me, you're going to have a very frustrated population because demand will not match supply.
Reply 8
I think they're stupid as well. When fewer people went to university it was fine, but then it was decided that more people should go to university. In order to make this possible, tuition fees were introduced. They do not save the country money- I think we spend pretty much the same on universities as before. Also, they have devalued degrees. It's a good thing if more people who deserve to go to university can, but now a lot of people who ought to be encouraged to attend university can't afford it and many people who are less academically-inclined end up going just for the sake of it.
Original post by DiddyDec
You have less debt if you get a decent job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other way round.
Original post by I_Mir
There are thousands of people who end up saddled with heaps of debt. Its disgusting. University degrees mean less and less as so many people have them these days. I really feel sorry for people who take out huge loans to go to uni and then go and work in low paid jobs that they are overqualified for. Unis are just big money making machines now. Its vile!

Well the answer isn't to make it free.

But it is scandalous what some students are getting in return for their tuition fees. Today most universities are not offering value for money.

A degree from an average University should be £3,000 a year. From Oxbridge maybe £9,000. Russell Group £6,000 etc etc

Nobody should be paying for a new Porsche and getting a second-hand Ford Fiesta. :tongue:

One thing I would say is that the Universities have too much power nowadays.

A degree is a requirement for even pretty mediocre jobs.

This allows Universities to get away with often shockingly poor standards. Not to mention an abysmal amount of contact time in return for your tuition fees.

:wink:
Reply 11
Me
I wouldn't mind paying fees but £9000 a year and slashing student grants is just taking the piss.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I wouldn't mind paying fees but £9000 a year and slashing student grants is just taking the piss.

Last year to get £3k fees! And now grants.

Feels good man.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Last year to get £3k fees! And now grants.

Feels good man.

Don't rub it in pls.:colonhash:

Genuinely considering uni abroad tbh
I think we have a pretty good tuition fee system in our country. Obviously this only applies to those attending university after the Tory/Lib Dem changes, but you only have to pay your loan back if you are earning over 21,000 a year, and after that the amount you pay back increases as your salary increases, so you will only be paying back 9% of everything you earn over 21,000, which seems like a pretty good deal to me. However I agree that it is only worth the money if you are going to a good university and getting a decent degree. Furthermore, all debt gets written off after 30 years!
I don't believe in free university, and believe we have a pretty fair repayment system. I don't see how our current fees and repayment schemes would put anyone off university. Just be thankful you're not an American going to college!
Original post by Elise213
I agree, but realistically those who want above average jobs need degrees. The competition out there is sky high. Its hard to beat the system.

That is a myth. Experience is valued more than degrees because degrees are not as special as they once we're.

I speak from the position of being in a graduate job with nothing higher than BTEC and experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Those who do economically useful degrees will likely end up paying back all of their tuition fees and more besides.

Those doing economically less useful degrees will get all of or the bulk of their tuition fees subsidized by the government.

It's a very strange system.

The Germans certainly think tuition fees are BS. As do the Swedes. Then again, those countries aren't fixated with trying to send every kid that can write their own name to university.
private candidates for the win :3
Original post by I_Mir

I don't understand why so many people seem to expect so much for free. These people you feel sorry for chose to go to university and incur these debts. The fact that degrees are being devalued has nothing to do with fee's, in fact without tuition fees we'd probably see more people with degrees. Also the only degrees that are really being devalued are doss degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending