The Student Room Group

Is feminism good or bad for the first world? (POLL)

Poll

Is feminism bad for the first world?

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Yes! Third wave feminism needs to die!
Any movement that actively moves society to being more equal is a good movement.

I disagree quite strongly with some of the methods that some Feminist groups employ, thinking that they simply create attention for themselves and detract from progress being made, but on the whole, I would be supportive of such equality movements.
Reply 3
Original post by BlackSweetness
Yes! Third wave feminism needs to die!

Here here!
Reply 4
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Any movement that actively moves society to being more equal is a good movement.

I disagree quite strongly with some of the methods that some Feminist groups employ, thinking that they simply create attention for themselves and detract from progress being made, but on the whole, I would be supportive of such equality movements.

Quite, its rather saddening to see them create a negative image for themselves. Especially when they fail to focus on issues in some less developed countries where feminism is needed.
Reply 5
Original post by bubblegumcat
maybe u need to die ha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is completely irrelevant and has brought nothing to the discussion.
Original post by bubblegumcat
maybe u need to die ha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spot the feminist!
Reply 7
Spot the feminist!

Seems they have quite the chip on their shoulder.
Reply 8
Feminism (the notion of equality) = no, it's not bad
Feminism (the people and the third wave) = yes, it's absolutely terrible
Reply 9
Original post by Arkasia
Feminism (the notion of equality) = no, it's not bad
Feminism (the people and the third wave) = yes, it's absolutely terrible

This, I feel, sums up the common feeling pretty well
I accidentally picked no instead of yes :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by kieran12321LFC
I accidentally picked no instead of yes :frown:

Dammit man, you had one job!

Nah, just sit there and think about what you have done :frown:
It is a very hypocritical movement, and only seems to be interested in "equality when it suits us", so I do not believe it is a force for good in first-world countries.

For example, why does feminism never shut up about the "gender pay gap", yet never mention the "life expectancy gap"? And why are they always calling for quotas when women are under-represented in a desirable area, but never when women are under-represented in an undesirable area?
(edited 8 years ago)
With all the people who claim to be feminists calling other people who claim to be feminists "not true feminists" and it all going round in circles, I'm afraid if I were to support it I'd feel like I'd be supporting both the bad and the good as there's no clear consensus within feminism as to wtf they're actually pushing for.

The definition's all well and good but it seems to have varying weird interpretations of it. It seems to be the feminists doing the bad stuff that get all the publicity though, so I'm gonna have to say it's a bad thing until it sorts itself out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
It is a very hypocritical movement, and only seems to be interested in "equality when it suits us", so I do not believe it is a force for good in first-world countries.

For example, why does feminism never shut up about the "gender pay gap", yet never mention the "life expectancy gap"? And why are they always calling for quotas when women are under-represented in a desirable area, but never when women are under-represented in an undesirable area?

this.

People have to accept that their are biological differences apart from just sexual organs between men and women. I know this is a massive stereotype; but men have greater testosterone levels than women, and hence are more likely to do something stupid and die young and hence shorter life expectancy. But this testosterone also drives them to be better and achieve more, which is why they tend to end up in higher paid jobs. Of course there are women with the drive for success, but that seems to be a trait that is more common in men.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not to sound completely liberal, but I think we need to refer to feminism as equalism now. In comparison to when feminism started, there really is not that much difference worth complaining about.
Reply 16
Original post by Jack Butters
Not to sound completely liberal, but I think we need to refer to feminism as equalism now. In comparison to when feminism started, there really is not that much difference worth complaining about.

Yet they still do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Women are already equal and the wage gap is a complete myth. Modern day feminism is cancer
Spot the feminist!

ur right! sorry :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
tt
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending