The Student Room Group

Notifications for Watched Threads

Hi everyone

We've noticed that because people are using the notifications menu loads these days (at the top of the site - the bell symbol) lots of members are missing replies to threads that don't quote people. Although these appear in watched threads, not everyone sees them.

So, we were thinking of trying to solve that through a new rule for notifications, which I've detailed below. I'd love to hear what you think of this and ways we could improve it.

Watched thread on site notification

A project to add a new on site notification to the notification menu specifically for Watched Threads (which includes threads members have created themselves). The aim is to make sure people are informed of replies to the threads they have created or replied to, even if the other members don’t quote or tag them.The rules of the notification would be:

If you are watching a thread, when a new replyis made, you will receive a notification saying “XXX has replied to [nameof thread] and others may have replied since”.

If other people reply, and you have notclicked on to the thread, you will not receive more notifications.

Once you go to the thread, it will be reset,and you will be sent a new notification the next time there is a new reply.

If you stop watching the thread, you will notreceive any notifications about it.

What do you think?

Jack

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
x

I think that this is a good idea.

One possible problem(?) would be that if someone has quoted you on that thread then you don't really need a second notification saying that someone has replied, multiplied by however many active watched threads you have going on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
I think that this is a good idea.

One possible problem(?) would be that if someone has quoted you on that thread then you don't really need a second notification saying that someone has replied, multiplied by however many active watched threads you have going on.

Yes, good point. So another rule would need to be:

If someone quotes you in that thread, it won't be classed as a reply.

Reply 3
So I guess it's just like the watched thread widget? except it goes to the notifications? so will the watched thread widget be removed then?
This would annoy me no end because the watched threads come up on the right hand side panel and on 'my TSR' when one or more people have replied and I haven't checked the thread so the notification would be in addition to this.
Yes, good point. So another rule would need to be:

If someone quotes you in that thread, it won't be classed as a reply.

Indeed, but possibly with a more complex rule (if necessary) that if you have been quoted there (but haven't seen it yet) and other replies are made after that, you don't need to be notified about them as you can see those replies after you've seen the quote, and then this can be reset after that until someone quotes you again or replies to the thread. (:s-smilie:)
I agree that we should be notified if someone responds to a thread we have posted but maybe not for all watched threads?
I don't like this. Personally I read my watched threads anyway (if I'm not going to I unwatch them) so maybe not really a normal user from what you're saying. But particularly as I normally use the app I'd just be overrun with notifications and probably be more likely to miss where I have actually been quoted and needed to respond- I use notifications to see quickly what I need to look at first or if I don't have much time. It would also mean you'd get a notification every couple of minutes sometimes if you're online and could get really annoying!

That or, could there be one notification saying 'these threads have recently been replied to' when you first come online and take you to watched threads page when you click on it? That or just have it as an optional thing to turn on or off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Terrible idea.

I use the Notification feature for any issues that are directed at me (i.e: mentions, reps, quotes, messages) and I have a Watched Thread widget-type thing on the TSR homepage that informs me of the replies to a particular thread.

It's pointless to receive so many notifications when it is not of a particular concern to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
No way!!! I'd separate this if anything, because I use watched threads to watch threads, which I don't want notifications for...
I don't think this would be liked by everyone - myself included. I've had this on other forums that I've been a frequent user of and honestly it just gets annoying after a certain point and makes me want to unwatch the thread to stop the notifications, even though I'd like to remember to go back to it after a while.

Just my opinion - I can see why others might like it.
Ew. I hope there's going to be some kind of opt out? I really don't want to be notified each time someone posts in a thread I watch. I watch quite a lot of active Chat threads, what you're proposing would result in a tidal wave of notifications every single day! I like being able to ignore threads I watch until I'm ready to read them.
Original post by furryface12
I don't like this. Personally I read my watched threads anyway (if I'm not going to I unwatch them) so maybe not really a normal user from what you're saying. But particularly as I normally use the app I'd just be overrun with notifications and probably be more likely to miss where I have actually been quoted and needed to respond- I use notifications to see quickly what I need to look at first or if I don't have much time. It would also mean you'd get a notification every couple of minutes sometimes if you're online and could get really annoying!

That or, could there be one notification saying 'these threads have recently been replied to' when you first come online and take you to watched threads page when you click on it? That or just have it as an optional thing to turn on or off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TheArtofProtest
Terrible idea.

I use the Notification feature for any issues that are directed at me (i.e: mentions, reps, quotes, messages) and I have a Watched Thread widget-type thing on the TSR homepage that informs me of the replies to a particular thread.

It's pointless to receive so many notifications when it is not of a particular concern to me.

What would you think if it was just for the threads you started?

I guess the situation we are trying to solve, that we see quite often, is people asking for help, getting lots of replies, but no one quotes them so they don't receive a notification. So there are posts aimed at them, they just don't see them.

I guess the situation we are trying to solve, that we see quite often, is people asking for help, getting lots of replies, but no one quotes them so they don't receive a notification. So there are posts aimed at them, they just don't see them.

That would be a much better idea, for new users especially it could help. Also try and encourage people to quote those they're replying to (not that I did before, do normally though!), and make sure they know the watched threads widget exists. Iirc a new users guide thing has recently been created/redone, is it in there? Sorry if I'm making that up! If it hasn't it'd be a good idea.

Edit: what slowbro said too!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

If there was a seperate button at the top of the bar just for watched threads, that wouldn't bother me as much tbh :smile:

I think certain parts of the forum, where one is expecting some kind of assistance (i.e: Relationshops, MH or study help) it is a useful feature but as I mainly keep to the N&CA (or more recently Chat), it doesn't seem to be a particularly useful feature.

In a single day, I would say that most of the active users on TSR contribute to at least 10 threads a day and receiving 10 notifications every 4 hours seems pretty redundant to me, especially if it's of no concern.

To stop receiving these notifications, I'd have to unwatch the thread (which I currently do en-masse just before I retire to bed).

I just think it would cause a lot of frustration for most of the users who post in a particular thread that doesn't necessarily warrant any kind of help.

A better solution would be to either only address the Notifications to Thread Starters* (perhaps roll it out in only a couple of forums) or have a widget (just like the Watched Threads) but this one will be "Threads started - X Replies" and it'll be default on the homepage.

*For people who ask for help in another person's thread, it may not work but that's a very rare situation.

I think this is the best idea, because I check my watched threads every so often using the widget but I would like to be reminded to check the threads I've started more often.

Alternatively, you could put a banner at the top of every page saying PLEASE QUOTE PEOPLE with a link to a quoting tutorial because sometimes I get sad when people don't quote me and then I randomly see a reply to me a few days later that I had no idea was there (especially in fast moving threads). When I think of all the things I haven't seen (and places I haven't been)...
I really like this idea because I think it would definitely come in helpful for newer members :beard: :woo:

What about having the options to stop getting notifications for a thread if you want - a little bit like Facebook allows you to turn off notifications for certain posts? :beard:

That way people can have notifications for threads they really care about, but switch them off for the ones that are less important to them.

Why not make the watched thread widget more prominent on MyTSR?

Or have a "My threads" widget for threads where you're the OP.

If you're going to do this can you develop it as a subscription update TYPE - I've got threads where I'm the OP that I've no interest in getting notifications for, if it was a subscription type I could select when I watch threads (or change my default) to pick the threads I want notifications for and those I don't.

Or you could default new users subscription type *for threads that they start* to email notifications

PLEASE don't make the watched threads widget unusable because watching a thread ****s up notifications.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I really like this idea because I think it would definitely come in helpful for newer members :beard: :woo:

What about having the options to stop getting notifications for a thread if you want - a little bit like Facebook allows you to turn off notifications for certain posts? :beard:

That way people can have notifications for threads they really care about, but switch them off for the ones that are less important to them.

That already exists for watched threads
update type.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending